Rosemary's baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
Last night I was perusing through my dvd collection and decided to watch ?Rosemary?s Baby? again for the umpteenth time and while I was watching it I started to think about DR1.

I know that the comparison sounds a little weird but hear (or read) me out.. First of all for those of you that aren?t familiar with the 1968 film directed by Roman Polanski it centers around a young 60ish couple that live in New York City and move into an apartment run by a gaggle of witches. The husband sells his wife to the Devil to have a child and in return the husband gets wealth and success.

The thing that reminded me of DR1 is the subtle undercurrent of paranoia that the film creates. While most of the characters seem outwardly friendly and helpful there is a very dark side that lies just underneath. This is what reminded me of DR1.

So does DR1 have a dark agenda? I don?t know. What I do know is that the owners of this influential web site have allowed the site to be hijacked by persons that propagate prostitution and hatred towards gays and lesbians. Why is this?

The reality is that if this post reaches anyone before the moderators delete it I?ll be surprised. But in the remote chance that someone reads the post before the deletion I ask that they continue to ask these questions.

This web site is highly influential because it is one of the stops most people make on their journey to the Dominican Republic and if those individuals get the impression that ALL of the expat community subscribes to the ?values? allowed to be expressed here then many will decide to look to another destination.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Last night I was perusing through my dvd collection and decided to watch ?Rosemary?s Baby? again for the umpteenth time and while I was watching it I started to think about DR1.

I know that the comparison sounds a little weird but hear (or read) me out.. First of all for those of you that aren?t familiar with the 1968 film directed by Roman Polanski it centers around a young 60ish couple that live in New York City and move into an apartment run by a gaggle of witches. The husband sells his wife to the Devil to have a child and in return the husband gets wealth and success.

The thing that reminded me of DR1 is the subtle undercurrent of paranoia that the film creates. While most of the characters seem outwardly friendly and helpful there is a very dark side that lies just underneath. This is what reminded me of DR1.

So does DR1 have a dark agenda? I don?t know. What I do know is that the owners of this influential web site have allowed the site to be hijacked by persons that propagate prostitution and hatred towards gays and lesbians. Why is this?

The reality is that if this post reaches anyone before the moderators delete it I?ll be surprised. But in the remote chance that someone reads the post before the deletion I ask that they continue to ask these questions.

This web site is highly influential because it is one of the stops most people make on their journey to the Dominican Republic and if those individuals get the impression that ALL of the expat community subscribes to the ?values? allowed to be expressed here then many will decide to look to another destination.

If I remember correctly this film was more that a little warped.... is that why you related to it so well?

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
I agree there are some people on this board that dislike gays and lesbians but that is everywhere!

I have observed many people on this board give advice to gay visitors with no problem. I have seen posts that were out of line deleted by the moderators.

There are members that are gay and have members in their families that are gay and have posted about them.

and.... prostitution exisits in the Dominican Republic. It's a sad fact. Women, men and unfortunately children are prostitutes there. The poverty level high and there is money to be made. People are going to do it. It's the oldest profession. It's not going to stop because you want it to.

The DR like Thailand is known as a sex tourism destination so...... until that changes....men are going to talk about prostitutes/and visit for the prostitutes.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

Jackieboo, has it ever occurred to you that the reason people don't "warm" up to you is because you're basically an insufferable narcissistic know-it-all jerk, with a chip on your shoulder?

Ockam's Razor, dude...

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Each 'board' or 'family' if I may say will take on it's own tone and feel.

However, a bit of the conspiracy theory is a bit of a stretch.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
The talk of prostitution is kept to a minimum from what I see. We talk alot more about sankies and resort workers than we do about the pay-for-play scene that exists for men.

I don't know why this is, as by now every single resort worker thread is exactly like all the others, and so are the responses. This topic is totally played out, but people refuse to let it die.

And as for prostitution being exploitation of poor young men and women, sorry, but I don't buy that so don't try to sell it to me.

Prostitution is a DOMINICAN problem and as a nation they don't seem to mind it at all, because dominicans are the ones who perpetuate it and take part in it much more than tourists do.

So let them handle it. The morality or lack thereof lies in their hands, not ours. And so if it doesn't bother them it shouldn't bother you.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
First of all for those of you that aren?t familiar with the 1968 film directed by Roman Polanski it centers around a young 60ish couple
60ish?
Mia Farrow was 33 at the time.

that live in New York City and move into an apartment run by a gaggle of witches.
They were simply neighbours.
They did not run or administrate the building.

This is only a "Fig Newton" of your imagination.
There is medication available to combat your condition.

As there is no dark agenda, the question you ask becomes invalid.

More paranoia?
Could it be that DR1 headquarters are based in "Area 54"?

Quite the contrary.
The high level of ethics and helpfulness demonstrated by the DR1 expat community, has a lot to do with attracting new tourists, as well as giving them a desire to return.

Symptoms of Schizophrenia

Schizophrenia is characterized by profound disruption in cognition and emotion, affecting the most fundamental human attributes: language, thought, perception, affect, and sense of self. The array of symptoms, while wide ranging, frequently includes psychotic manifestations, such as hearing internal voices or experiencing other sensations not connected to an obvious source (hallucinations) and assigning unusual significance or meaning to normal events or holding fixed false personal beliefs (delusions). No single symptom is definitive for diagnosis; rather, the diagnosis encompasses a pattern of signs and symptoms, in conjunction with impaired occupational or social functioning.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
60ish?
Mia Farrow was 33 at the time.
I think by 60ish he meant in the decade of the 60's.

They were simply neighbours.
They did not run or administrate the building.
The building in the movie was probably a cooperative, which us very common in snooty neighborhoods in New York. The owners run the building and control who can move in. That way they can keep out AA's, Hispanics, Gypsies, Jews, Canadians, Irish and all other undesirables.

This is only a "Fig Newton" of your imagination.
There is medication available to combat your condition.
Isn't it fig newton of your immigration? ;)

More paranoia?
Could it be that DR1 headquarters are based in "Area 54"?
At the risk of repeating my self
It might be worth taking precautions.
Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanie
Flickr Photo Download: Chieka models her AFDB
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean nobody's out to get you. :cross-eye

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
Berzin, I think that poverty has a lot to do with prostitution but it's a CHOICE. Quick money can be made that way.

If you want to be a prostitute that is your OPTION. There are many men and women in the DR that aren't. No one is forcing them to do this. They WANT to do this and they know what they are doing.

The only people that I feel sorry for is the children. They don't have an option. As far as I know that's not rampant so.....

I think that it's nasty but men go to them and women want to provide the sevice. It hasn't changed in..... how long ....???and it's not going to. I don't have to go to them, befriend them, or have any contact with them so I don't.

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
I agree there are some people on this board that dislike gays and lesbians but that is everywhere!

I have observed many people on this board give advice to gay visitors with no problem. I have seen posts that were out of line deleted by the moderators.

There are members that are gay and have members in their families that are gay and have posted about them.

and.... prostitution exisits in the Dominican Republic. It's a sad fact. Women, men and unfortunately children are prostitutes there. The poverty level high and there is money to be made. People are going to do it. It's the oldest profession. It's not going to stop because you want it to.

The DR like Thailand is known as a sex tourism destination so...... until that changes....men are going to talk about prostitutes/and visit for the prostitutes.

Try this one.

Click on 'search' and type in 'gay'. You'll find that there are NO valid threads displayed. Then do the same thing and type in 'prostitute' and see what happens.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Try this one.

Click on 'search' and type in 'gay'. You'll find that there are NO valid threads displayed. Then do the same thing and type in 'prostitute' and see what happens.

Try the same with 'cat' or 'dog'. No valid threads. Maybe because the word is too short to be picked up by search engine.....................

What was it Dr. Rocky Freud said about 'assigning unusual significance or meaning to normal events'?

DOMINCAN BOY

On Vacation!
Jun 6, 2006
Try this one.

:bunny:Click on 'search' and type in GAYS You'll find that there are valid threads ;)

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
To index the 3-letter words is quite resource intensive and it is choice that the administrator of the board makes - index 3 letter words for search, or index 4 letter and more words for search. If you are so inclined, you can search and somewhere in the past, you'll find passionate pleas to change the indexing to include 3-letter words. It is not a plot spawned in the witches circle and the homophobic Cardinal had no input in terms of that decision as far as I know. :laugh:

What is happening this week? Strange lights in the sky, evil portents, aluminum beanies, DR1 board and Rosemary's baby, crime rate seems to be down, and the sky is not falling. I'm gonna make me that aluminium beany now.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It is not a plot spawned in the witches circle and the homophobic Cardinal had no input in terms of that decision as far as I know. :laugh:
Searching the word 'gays" produced 100+ threads.
Searching "heterosexual" produced only 57.
Does DR1 have a dark agenda against heterosexuals?

Status
Not open for further replies.