Please Help A Newbie

Colin Robinson

Sep 6, 2007
Hi people!
It is my fervent hope to come and live in Paradise On Earth, also known as the Dominican Republic!
I will be coming out from the UK in a week or so and staying for three weeks. During my stay, I want to get answers to all the questions that are buzzing around my head and will need to speak to Schools, Letting Agents, Estate Agents, Solicitors, Insurance Agents and so on (and on and on and on....).
Having found this wonderful site with all you friendly and EXTREMELY helpful people on it (grovel, grovel), it occurs to me that you may be ever so very, very kind and offer some advice to me?
Firstly, with all the running around I'm going to have to do, should I hire a car or rely on taxis? The best price I can find for three weeks car hire is ?300 - do you know anyone cheaper? (I'll be flying in and out of Puerto Plata).
Secondly, could you recommend any Insurance Agents, Solicitors, Estate Agents etc. you know are good? I'm told that particularly with Estate Agents, the difference between going to a good one "Locals" use and going to an international one with its own website etc. could be many, many thousand dollars!
Thirdly, will you be anywhere near the Cabarete area next week? If so, could I buy you a drink and pick your brains please? Particularly if you're an ex-pat Brit!
The one after thirdly (I can't spel forthly) - Can you please give me the answers to the questions I haven't asked here? The one thing I am completely sure of is my own ignorance and I have no doubt there are many things I need to know but haven't got the sense to think to ask.
All you guys are so incredibly smart and bright compared to me (I've only got to look at where I currently live and where you live to bring that home to me!) I'm sure you could help me immensely if you could find a few minutes to do so?
If I've grovelled enough and you're feeling generous (or can be bribed by the promise of a few drinks?), do please drop me a line?
Cheers people!
Colin

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Hi people!
It is my fervent hope to come and live in Paradise On Earth, also known as the Dominican Republic!
I will be coming out from the UK in a week or so and staying for three weeks. During my stay, I want to get answers to all the questions that are buzzing around my head and will need to speak to Schools, Letting Agents, Estate Agents, Solicitors, Insurance Agents and so on (and on and on and on....).
Having found this wonderful site with all you friendly and EXTREMELY helpful people on it (grovel, grovel), it occurs to me that you may be ever so very, very kind and offer some advice to me?
Firstly, with all the running around I'm going to have to do, should I hire a car or rely on taxis? The best price I can find for three weeks car hire is ?300 - do you know anyone cheaper? (I'll be flying in and out of Puerto Plata).
Secondly, could you recommend any Insurance Agents, Solicitors, Estate Agents etc. you know are good? I'm told that particularly with Estate Agents, the difference between going to a good one "Locals" use and going to an international one with its own website etc. could be many, many thousand dollars!
Thirdly, will you be anywhere near the Cabarete area next week? If so, could I buy you a drink and pick your brains please? Particularly if you're an ex-pat Brit!
The one after thirdly (I can't spel forthly) - Can you please give me the answers to the questions I haven't asked here? The one thing I am completely sure of is my own ignorance and I have no doubt there are many things I need to know but haven't got the sense to think to ask.
All you guys are so incredibly smart and bright compared to me (I've only got to look at where I currently live and where you live to bring that home to me!) I'm sure you could help me immensely if you could find a few minutes to do so?
If I've grovelled enough and you're feeling generous (or can be bribed by the promise of a few drinks?), do please drop me a line?
Cheers people!
Colin

Hi Colin,
We are reasonably new British ex-pats, having moved here from England in June of last year.
What homework have you done prior to your visit? Have you visited the DR many times before? Have you already searched the many helpful threads on this forum? Have you looked at the type of property you think you will want? Have you made contact with agents to show you around?
Will try to be as helpful as possible but sure you will find others far better qualified to offer adivce.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
That price is reasonable.
As to whether you need it or not, only you know for sure.
If you are going out with RE agents, they have their own cars.

This is a tough one.
Everyone has a different favorite agent.
You may have to try a few yourself, and establish who you like best.
As well, you can speak to some of the DR1 expats in the area, who are known to be of good reputation, for both agent suggestions, and advice on who to avoid.

We have a lot of members in Sosua & Cabarete who may take you up on your offer.
I live in Sosua and have very little Cabarete RE knowledge, and I don't drink, but if you are interested in Sosua, I may be able to assist you with some questions you have.

I have one.
Don't buy.
Move here for 6 months and rent.
That will allow you to know if you like it here, who you want to do business with, what's a good deal and what's not, etc.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I agree with Rocky, Rent for 6 months or so. You may not like living in a certain area even though you think you love it now. Get to know the areas, the people, how things are done.....

And another piece of unsolicited advice..... don't believe any one person. Get multiple opinions on things, people, agents etc, then make your own decisions. Also read DR1, do searches and get as much info as possible first.

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
my suggestion to you would be to tell the board a bit more about yourself and your circumstances so the advice can be more specific and therefore, useful.

I guess you're planning to move with children (you mentioned schools) so ages etc might help?
Will you be moving with a partner?
Do you have to work when you get down there or have you an 'independent' income? Will you're partner have to work?
Have you lived abroad before?
Do you speak Spanish? Can your children? Partner?
Have you visited DR before? If so, did you stay on an AI or out and about?

Good luck!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The DR is NOT,and may I repeat,"NOT",."Paradise On Earth!

Like "everywhere" in the World,it has it's good,and it's bad points!
Someone once said,.."The DR is just like everywhere else in the World,only "MORESO"!!
"Calm Down"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you like having sex with lots of pretty young women,or "BOYS",(you did say you are "Brittish" didn't you!)THIS IS THE PLACE!!!

But don't let that blur your judgement!!!

Here is my advice about coming to the DR for an "Innocent" like you!

1., "Decisions made in haste,can be regretted at leisure!"

2., "When a man with money,meets a man with experience,the man with the experience leaves with the money,and the man with the money, leaves with the experience!"

3.,Spend as much time as you can talking with Rocky,or better said, LISTENING to Rocky!

I'm Cris Colon,and you're not!CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Colin Robinson

Sep 6, 2007
Hi Again!

WOW!

I’ve never tried this posting lark before and can’t believe how helpful everyone has been! Thank you!!!!

One repeated comment is that I did not give enough information in my posting (which I thought was far too long anyway!) and that people like Rocky could help me more if they knew more of my circumstances – OK, here goes!

I’ve done as much homework as I can – no, that’s not possible – as much as I WANT TO, and now it’s time for another “Field Trip”. I’ve only been to the DR a couple of times and even then, stayed in an AI, but spent most of my time out and about. I believe an hotel is only a BASE to see a country from, whether it’s AI or not, I’ve been shown a couple of houses by a couple of agents but all that succeeded in doing is to help me decide what I needed to research more comprehensively.

I have read through this forum on the topics that apply to my current position and found them highly informative if a little biased on occasion? It appears there are those who are entirely FOR the DR, those entirely AGAINST (why are they still there?) and the ones I want to nurture, get to know and mind-meld with are the remainder who can see the good AND the bad.

I can tolerate being referred to as “British” (with one “T” – sorry guys, I didn’t understand the two T comments – perhaps I’m just slow or it’s an “In” joke???) and don’t really want to discuss my sexual preferences here (unless its with a young, nubile nymphomaniac FEMALE!). I will also NOT accept being called “European” (Gods bless the Channel!) and greatly prefer being “English” although that does include parts of Manchester so, all being well, I can be a “Dominican” (at least in heart?) soon?

So, to The Plan!

My wife, Tina and I will keep a small house on in Kent and want to buy a place in the DR for around $200K, live there for three months, then return to the UK for a month. We will repeat this process three times, then see where our hearts lie.

If we chose not to stay in the DR, we’ll keep the house on as a holiday home and rent it out for the rest of the year or just sell it again – no harm done! If we DO want to stay there, we’ll give the place to our daughter and son-in-law and their three sproggs (aged 2, 4 and 6 – how’s that for planning!).

The intention is that he will set up a business as a computer maintenance bod (as he can get computer’s to make you cups of tea, sing Happy Birthday and jump through burning hoops!). When a “Subscriber” has a problem with their computer, he will get to them within (howeverlong) and repair it for them. Alternatively, if the demand’s not there for that, he can teach IT so will get a job in a school or something.

Having decided to stay in DR, Tina and I will sell up everything in the UK and buy a slightly better place (around $300K) and spend the rest of our pennies on property we can get an agency to manage for us and live off the rental income.

That’s The Plan!

None of us can speak Spanish but it is our avowed intention to learn by enlisting the help of any and every Spanish speaker we come across!

I hope this extra information fills in some of the gaps and that some of you kind people will now be able to give us more specific help? As I said before, I’d love to meet up with some of you but if you’d rather not do that (and I wouldn’t blame you for that – I KNOW me and am not entirely sure sometimes if I would want to meet me!!!), I have a list of questions I know I need to find the answers to so maybe I could email them to you and you could give me your opinions on some of them?

Just a final point to one of my contributors - As Oscar Wilde said – “Tomorrow, I may be living in the DR, but YOU’LL always be Cris Colon”

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I suggest you rent for at least 3-6 months before deciding to live here.
Living is very, very different to visiting. I have lost count of the people I have seen come here, buy a house, get miserable, loose money and leave.

If you plan to live in the Cabarete/Sosua area, then I recommend the following people.

Good local expat advice: Marco at Rocky's and the many that frequent there.

Laywer: Fabio Guzman's office, best in the business and used by many, many DR1 people. The Dominican Republic Law Firm: Guzman Ariza, Attorneys at Law. Tell them your from DR1, they will look after you.

Real Estate: Curt Erickson - email: curt@dr1.com
Knows the north coast very well, honest and reliable.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Your 3 months DR: 1 month UK (if I read that correctly) I would advise doing whilst renting in DR not buying. I personally wouldn't buy until you know you want to live here.

Son-in-law obviously plans his family :) but may want to re-evaluate his plans for working here - that's way down the line & you'll discover more about that when you get here. Likewise in your long term plan of living off rental income...........you might want to do a reality check on that too, but that again is way into the future.

We're British too (you tend to call yourself a Brit. as an expat since it includes the Scots, Welsh & Irish. Trust me, there are times here when the English, Scots, Welsh and Irish need to see themselves as one, when you consider the alternatives..............:laugh: I jest........there are some delightful non-Brits here).

I won't be in Cabarete next week and I don't drink but if you get to Puerto Plata in your travels (about 40 mins from Cabarete) and you want an hour or so chat with a couple of British 15 year 'veterans' you're welcome to get in touch & come by our house. The offer is made based on the Oscar Wilde comment which leads me to believe you have a sense of humour.........:) And even if CCCCCC thinks all Brits. lisp & like little boys it's because he has only heard one version of the Eton Boating Song...........;) and he can still tell you a lot about living here, sometimes more than your lifestyle might comfortably accommodate...............