How many dollars a month can u live in DR!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tilinmarte

Aug 29, 2007
what's a decent monthly salary to live in santiago or santo domnigo giving you have a home that's paid for or not . Thank you

what's ok
$500
$1000
$1500

I know that with $2000 i can live will !!

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
I know people living in the DR (several cities) making from 150 dollars a month to 15,000 dollars a month. All of them live decently (they dont beg for food nor are involved in questionable activities).

Just like in any other country, it all comes down as to how do you want to live (do you feel the urge to keep up with the Joneses?) and what education/skills/assets do you have.

What for me is good enough, for you could be bad and viceversa. You would do better if you find out what do you need to live "decently" and ask later for the costs associated here.

Good luck

Jess

SamanaJon

Jun 20, 2007
Living on $150/mo in the DR......"NOT"

You are wrong. One cannot live on $150 USD/mo in the DR, unless your entire family of 5-8 people are each making $150/mo. Nowhere in the country is it possible, and do it legit (not stealing from others).

Please do not mislead folks into thinking $150/mo is enough to live on. Your OTC meds, bottled water, electricity, propane, transportation, will consume every bit of $150/mo. You still have housing, food, etc. to pay.

I live on a larger budget and find it difficult to justify my expenses here in the DR. It is downright expensive for me to live how I do presently. Over the past 4 years, I have seen a huge difference (upward) in cost of living in the DR.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Dicelo otra vez.....

I got news for ya Semanajon, 150 dollars (or less)is what most free zone employees make a month (4950 pesos)

Many, many people live on that.

Now, whether or not someone is willingly going to live that lifestyle is another story.
You are ABSOLUTELY, 1,000% CORRECT!!!!.

Million of Dominicans have been living their lives, FOR GENERATIONS, with 4-5,000 pesos a month.

Granted, they don't live a life of luxury but they have been able to manage. So to say that a person can't live on 150 dollars in the DR is pure bullshyt!.

I know it's a life a foreigner does NOT want to live but there are millions of Dominicans living that life as we speak.

I personally know a person in the DR that makes it, with one disabled son, with 2 pensions totalling 4,700 pesos (she owns her house). And I am sure they do NOT go hungry.

It all depends on the person(s) lifestyle. Nothing more, nothing less!.

canbon

Apr 28, 2006
Free Zone?

I have been hearing about the Free Zone in different posts lately--can someone explain what that is. Thanks.

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
A Free Zone allows a manufacturer to import materials into a country and process them without paying duty. The most common use for a US company is shipping cloth to another country having it sewn in a free zone and only paying duty on the value added by the sewing when the finished goods are imported back to the US.
It allows the company to use very cheap labor for certain tasks.
The Free Zone is usually a fenced plant that the government has declared to be duty free.

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
Wait a min. i have a nice apt. right off the ocean. with rent, cell phone, food, cable, phone in the home internet, my car boat, etc. mu monthly bills add up to around 500 dollars mas o meno. 500 to 750 depends if i splerge or not. now i don't go out to eat i am just saying basic living. But hey, i live good.

SamanaJon

Jun 20, 2007
Disagree with your numbers

I STRONGLY disagree that anyone lives on $150/mo alone or much less with family. They have outside help (family/friends providing some food + goods) and/or income, and must be stealing electricity (as minimun PRA payment 300 pesos, or kerosine (for lamps), if that is their entire monthly income. With bottled water alone at $35-45 pesos/bottle..I do agree however, that they can live as a group, under one roof, if multiple people work. Yes that is what they are paid $3,000+/mo, but it isnt all the income they receive..Please, dont be so BLIND.. even the poorest Dominicans are resourceful.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Andrea,

Those are dominicans, not gringos. They know their own country, know how to get the best deals, tend not to live in Gringo preferred neighborhoods, and don't have to acclimatize themselves to living under third world conditions.

Most gringos tend to come because they think they can get a better quality of life than where they came from for less money. The reality is, for the first several months or years, they usually wind up spending more due to where they choose to live and having to pay the Gringo Tax on just about everything.

Please don't mislead the OP. If he shuts down his life in his hometown and tries to make a go on $150US, he will fail. Miserably. I don't mean to be Mr. Gloom-an'-Doom, but clearly he hasn't been to the island enough and done enough hands-on research, or he'd know the answer to his question.

To the OP, there have been a number of recent threads on this topic. From what I read, if you're by yourself and don't intend to live a lavish lifestyle, you should be fine in STI or SD on about two grand a month to start. As you get to know your way around, you might be able to shave a bit - but not too much - off that number.

Good luck to you.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Capt. Robt.,

So, you have an apartment on the beach, a car, a boat, cell phone, internet and food for only $500 a month.

Congrats, you've either got the best deal on the island, or you're pulling the OP's pinky toe....

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
two block from the ocean did not say beach. 4 bed room 3 bath 300 per month.
phone cable internet 100 mt. club fees and propane for car 100, elect 50, food 100. I did say mas o meno. But, I live by myself don't go to bars and go out to eat only when I don't feel like cooking. But, when I do go out I go out. Dinner for my self will be 100 dollars. There is another way to save money, when i first came here I rented a room in someone's home it was great learned a lot, had my own bath, full use of the house etc. and all for 2,000 pesos per month. Would recomend this but, you must be respectuful no whores, drinking etc. you are living in someones home.

Everett

Jun 8, 2006
I lived in the DR (while waiting for a real estate closing) on $750 per month during Mejia. It was not a pretty picture. It was often downright scruffy.
The Dominicans made it all good however. Such lovely people that they are!
I think US$1500 would be a minimum base living cost for an expat.
At US$2500 life can get pretty good!

cocoleka

Sep 7, 2007
Greeting to all. can someone please give me some information on Bani. I?m going there for a month and would like to know a little about the place. Specifically, I?m staying in Sombrero. I know there?s very little to do there but are there any decent restaurants, places to hear live music, sand beaches, parks, etc. Also is it safe? Are there excessive amount of crimes, thieves, prostitutes... Thanks.

Last edited:

tilinmarte

Aug 29, 2007
Suchs a montly salary, you will not earn in DR.

well I have a house in santiago around Sanchez Libertad I won't have to pay rent . Plus I have a little toyota corolla 92 which seems everyone has one down there. Plus I live in miami and want to rent out my place which will give me an income of $800. us dollars a month without working so I should survive down there I'm by myself and want to live there for a year or so. I do have a little money in the bank and was looking to buy a small location put a small business there for the extra income .

I know I cannot live there on $150 US dollars I can spend that on gas in one day!!!. But of coures If i live down there i'd have to adjust and be with one sexy mamita instead of 4-5 lol.

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Do you drink alcohol, do you like to go out. dont forget to figure this in..and dont forget $5 a gallon gas price...If you own a vehicle...I have a V6 4x4 and live alone and it costs me 200 per week to be comfy...You will never earn that in the DR..I promise you that..

SamanaJon

Jun 20, 2007
Think it out well...

well I have a house in santiago around Sanchez Libertad I won't have to pay rent . Plus I have a little toyota corolla 92 which seems everyone has one down there. Plus I live in miami and want to rent out my place which will give me an income of $800. us dollars a month without working so I should survive down there I'm by myself and want to live there for a year or so. I do have a little money in the bank and was looking to buy a small location put a small business there for the extra income .

I know I cannot live there on $150 US dollars I can spend that on gas in one day!!!. But of coures If i live down there i'd have to adjust and be with one sexy mamita instead of 4-5 lol.

Please dont forget, if you rent your place in the USA, you will have repairs (during and after renting), that takes money. You will also need to consider repairs for the 92 Toyota (maybe tires/battery, both expensive), as well as play money. If you bring a sexy mama with you, great, it will be less expensive than finding one here. To find a sexy mamita in Santiago, is easy, but will take some effort on your part not to spoil her (smile). If she stays with you >2+ months, on the <$800/mo you will be receiving, she must love you. Consider her a keeper, as you will not find many like her. Good luck, the DR can be a wonderful place to live, although sometimes very frustrating...;)

Status
Not open for further replies.