Living in Santiago?

S

ScottieMon

In august, I'm moving to Santiago. I will be attending Pontificia Universidad Catolica Madre y Maestra(PUCMM).Ive never been to the D.R. before, and I was wandering if anyone could tell me of any interesting things to do in the city. How is the night life? How is the school, and the area surrounding it? Are there any web-sites that might help learn more about the city? I heard that Gold's Gym was being built. When will it open? Also, is there a reggae bar in the city?
Thanks for any information.
Scott

H

Hillbilly

University or Party? *PIC*

Dispite the nickname, I've been a professor at the Pucmm for over 35 years, and, although retired and in other activities, let me tell you that you might be in for a rude awakening if you go there with an attitude to Party and Raggae and so forth.

Are you coming as an exchange student? On the Ciee program? Or as a "real" student? Either way they will expect you to preform academically, and in Spanish-academic Spanish to boot.

And if you are thinking "Medicine" you can pretty well forget anything except studying and trying to get some sleep.

Don't worry though, I can help you fill out the "Withdrawal Request" slips.

Besides that warning, there is plenty of night life in Santiago, enough to guarantee your failure as a student, but guarantee your success as a social butterfly. Believe me on this....It's a great city, especially A-F-T-E-R you've finished studying...

Me, from where you'll be if you don't wake up...

S

ScottieMon

Re: University or Party?

Don't get me wrong, receiving the education is number one priority. I'll have time to party once the semester is over. I am very serious about the school. If all I wanted to do is party, I could have save my self several thousand and not paid a tuition, and just gone to Cancun. Mom and Dad didn't give me money. I,ve worked extremely hard and have taken out finacial aid loans to pay for my education. If you could see my transcript, my grades would speak for themselves. Now if any one has any information on the city, or my other questions, I would appreciate it.
Thanks again,
Scott

L

Luis

Re: Santiago and PUMM THE BEST COMBINATION. *DC*

I TOLD YOU NOT TO CLICK BUT SINCE YOU DID LET ME TELL YOU THAT YOU ARE FOR SHURE GOING TO HAVE A LOT OF FUN

H

Hillbilly

Living in Santiago->Answers 4 U

Yes to everything and more. And believe me there will be kids out there that will try and take you out there to party asap.

However, if you are serious, and I have no reason to doubt your sincerity, you will find opportunities to study and to enjoy yourself. There are more than Gold's Gym here, but yes it is opening soon, I hear. There are places for every kind of music, but I have not heard of a bar dedicated to raggae, although it is very popular. Gotta remember that this is merengue land! As well as salsa and bachata! "Mami, pegame tu vicio"!!!

Now, give..what are you going to study?

HB

M

MERCY

WELL LIVING IN SANTIAGO IS THE BEST I LOVE BEING THERE I WAS JUST THERE IN FEBUARY OF THIS YEAR AND I DIDN'T WANT TO COME BACK. THE PEOPLE THERE ARE VERY FRIENDLY THE SCHOOL ARE COOL I WENT TO ONE OF THEM WITH MY COUSIN BUT IT WASN'T THE SCHOOL YOUR GOING TO, BUT I DO HAVE A COUSIN THAT DID GO THERE FROM WHAT I'VE HEARD IT'S A REALLY GOOD SCHOOL AND YOU WILL GET A GOOD EDUCATATION. MAKE SURE U GO TO THE MOLUMENTO (IT THAT REALLY TALL MONUMENT, IT'S A SITE YOU CAN'T MISS WHEN YOU GO TO SANTIAGO. I KNOW THAT WHOEVER GOES TO SANTIAGO DON'T WANT TO LEAVE BUT ALSO VISIT OTHER CITIES

S

ScottieMon

Re: Living in Santiago->Answers 4 U

Right know, i'm enrolled at Portland State University, and I getting a degree in International studies, and a minor in spanish. At PUCMM I am going to study spanish and classes related to different themes of the Carribean and the D.R.

H

Hillbilly

Sounds like you are ...

In that CIEE (whatever) Program for students to study abroad. It's not too hard, but you will be expected to do some studying.

At your age, you should be able to weigh the proper balance between studies and social life. That group of students usually has a good time.

I won't be one of yur teachers...LOL

Perhaps I'll see you in August..

HB

D

Dana

Re: University or Party?

I am also going to attend PUCMM. As a professor there can you please give me a head's up on the study program in medicine. I speak fluent spanish read and write it as well but I am a bit apprehensive to study medicine in spanish. Any words of encouragement or advice. I also have a bit of a social dilemma. My boyfriend soon to be husband is a student at UAS in Santo domingo he is graduating from medical school in October. Now,understand that we have been maintaining a long distance relationship. I will be starting in January 2001 and he wil be moving back to Santiago then to do his residency and private practice. Will I be able to balance studying and seeing him. He understand the hard work and dedication it takes to become a doctor. He doesn't even want to get married until I am in my 4 or 5th semester because he says it's going to be very difficult to balance a marriage and school at that time. I just want to know what to expect as a med student at the PUCMM. Please respond.

D

Dana

Well like Hillbilly said I hope you plan to study but don't foret to stop and smell the roses every once in awhile. While you're there to study, do go out and enjoy the city and it's sites. You should be old enough to balance a social life and your academic life. Wishing you all the best. I'm attending PUCMM in January 2001 for medical school. I'm coming from Miami, FL. Keep in touch so you can let me know how school REALLY is before I go in January. Thanks bye.