Anyone familiar with these neigborhood...

John D. Clark

Aug 5, 2007
...or condos (I don't know which)

Vinas del Mar and Residencial las Americas

This what the owner said about them:

They are both off of Carretera Las Americas and are both walking distance from each other. The apartments are about 10 minutes from the airport and about 15min to the nearest beach (boca chica). It is about 20min from the center of Santo Domingo (the capital).

As far as location, they are very close (about 2 miles) from the Quality Inn Hotel . The address to the hotel is as follows:
Quality Hotel Santo Domingo (DO002)
KM 22 Autopista Las Americas next to Las Americas Free Zn , Santo Domingo,

I wanted to know if this was a decent area to live in. She said it was as she only visits once or twice a year and has never had a break in over the past several years in her absence.

Please let me know if you know. Thanks

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I don't know those properties. They may be nice but I wouldn't want to live in that area. It's developing fast but it is still quite isolated and the probability of breakins would be high in my opinion.

Remember the owner wants to sell. The owner is not your friend. She wants your money.

If you haven't spent much time in the DR spend some months here getting a feel for things.

Visit the area where the properties are and spend some time to come to your own conclusions.

This doesn't smell right to me. Do your homework.

John D. Clark

Aug 5, 2007
Thank you Celt202 for your response. I do plan to come down in November and get a feel for things at that time as well as venture out and see how I feel about things in general. But I would ask both you and Dre, if you don't mind, specifically, what makes you concerned about the area. I ask for specifics because, I am an african american male, 39 yrs old and have spent many a year in various "hoods" in the U.S. While I have a top notch education and will be continuing working in the U.S. by phone making a good income, I feel my street skills are very respectable. I just don't want to be over trusting of those skills and get myself into something over my head. Know what I mean? So if you, or anyone, has specifics as to your concerns, I would be interested to know. BTW, she is renting the two bed 1 bath for $100 US and the 2 bed, 1 bath w/maids quaters for $120. I'm like...I'll take them both...are you kiddin' me (she's a freind of my sister). Also, both places have bars on the windows and doors. One is on third floor and the other is on the first floor. Please give me your insights. Thank you.

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
John, unless you are planning to be walking alone at night by the bridge that is just before getting there (can't recall the name) or by the Las Americas highway, you are going to be fine. For those prices, I would say go for it. Take it as a cheap headquarters until you find something better located (if you find that you don't like it, too noisy, or dangerous).

I used to go several times a week to the Las Americas Industrial Park and to Caucedo, in Boca Chica. From the highway, the buildings look ok. Yes, they have bars all over, like almost every building in the DR. They are not 2 miles from the Quality Inn, maybe 7 or 8 miles? I dont think there is much difference. They are about 20 to 25 minutes away from the Boca Chica beach, it all depends on the speed!

Good luck

Jess

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
I ask for specifics because, I am an african american male, 39 yrs old and have spent many a year in various "hoods" in the U.S. While I have a top notch education and will be continuing working in the U.S. by phone making a good income, I feel my street skills are very respectable. I just don't want to be over trusting of those skills and get myself into something over my head. Know what I mean?
John, a couple of questions if you don't mind. It might help others formulate their responses.

Do you speak any Spanish?

Do you know anyone in Santo Domingo?

Have you actually been to the DR? If so, have you spent any time in the Santo Domingo barrios as opposed to tourist areas?

Yes to all these questions would be best, of course. No to all would mean you have no idea what you could be getting into.

Visiting and getting a feel for the area before making a commitment is sound advice. Those rates, even by Dominican housing standards, are pretty low and therefore suspect.

If you decide to pass, though, PM me a phone#. I know someone else who might be interested.

John D. Clark

Aug 5, 2007
Hey Dre, thanks again for the heads up.

Thank you too, Jess, and no, I do not plan to be doing any walking at night in any remote areas. I will be either cabbing it to a gym, bar, basketball court or beach until I decide if I want to ship a vehicle over. Thanks for the info girl (I assume).

Thanks Victor and to answer your questions:

1. Yes/No on speaking spanish. I took it for 4 years in high school so while I have a strong foundation, I am not fluent. Just likely to pick it up quickly.

2. Yes/No on knowing anyone in the DR. I know all of you DR1 people...let's have a beer. Just kiddin' (not really). No, I don't know anyone in the DR (please read after the answers and give me your opinion on my approach to this).

3. No, I have never been to the DR

Let me tell you me strategy. I was planning on getting with someone(s) , guy or girl (spanish/english speaking familiar with various areas), who wanted to either befriend me or at least make some extra money while we kick it through out various venues. While I strengthen my spanish skills, I would rely on them to be my "ambassador" so to speak. They'll either make some good side money or get all of their drinks and meals free while we have a good time. Know what I mean? Tell me what you think. I think I'll start a thread with this approach and get some feed back. Good lookin' out.

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
"BTW, she is renting the two bed 1 bath for $100 US and the 2 bed, 1 bath w/maids quaters for $120."

Per month? Really?

Dre and others....whats the power grid like in that area? Do these apts have an elevator? Do they have back up power? Hot water? Good source of water (supplied by pressure pump...tenaco)? 24/7 Security? Access to cable and/or computer.

John, although it sounds like you would like a "headquarters" you will do yourself a huge favor to make sure you stay in a place where you will have these "comfort creatures" to do work and enjoy your stay.

Good luck!

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Thank you Celt202 for your response. I do plan to come down in November and get a feel for things at that time as well as venture out and see how I feel about things in general. But I would ask both you and Dre, if you don't mind, specifically, what makes you concerned about the area. I ask for specifics because, I am an african american male, 39 yrs old and have spent many a year in various "hoods" in the U.S. While I have a top notch education and will be continuing working in the U.S. by phone making a good income, I feel my street skills are very respectable. I just don't want to be over trusting of those skills and get myself into something over my head. Know what I mean? So if you, or anyone, has specifics as to your concerns, I would be interested to know. BTW, she is renting the two bed 1 bath for $100 US and the 2 bed, 1 bath w/maids quaters for $120. I'm like...I'll take them both...are you kiddin' me (she's a freind of my sister). Also, both places have bars on the windows and doors. One is on third floor and the other is on the first floor. Please give me your insights. Thank you.

I don't like the area because it's isolated. Criminals here are motivated and clever. Someone living in an isolated area can be stalked and taken down when they least expect it.

Street smarts are a definite plus but why expose yourself to increased risk?

Low rent is often low rent for a reason.

If you can have a good income while here why not live in an area with amenities and things to do?

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Puedes explicar esto?......

BTW, she is renting the two bed 1 bath for $100 US and the 2 bed, 1 bath w/maids quaters for $120. I'm like...I'll take them both...are you kiddin' me (she's a freind of my sister). Also, both places have bars on the windows and doors. One is on third floor and the other is on the first floor. Please give me your insights. Thank you.
Is she asking for 100 dollars a week, a month or what?.

PLEASE tell me it's 100 dollars a week!!.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Unless you want to spend a ton on taxis and such, forget that location!! You are in the boonies. No wonder the price is so low. You want to locate in the better part of town where water, electricity and phone (data) service is available and reliable. Ask the board for some recommendations..
And the better BBall courts are in the city, not the boonies.

HB

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Hey Dre, thanks again for the heads up.

1. Yes/No on speaking spanish. I took it for 4 years in high school so while I have a strong foundation, I am not fluent. Just likely to pick it up quickly.

Didn't you graduate from HS over 20 yrs ago? Best to assume that what you may remember won't even BEGIN to cover it. Start to learn. Today. Otherwise, you'll be way over your head. Tourist-class Spanglish won't be enough.

3. No, I have never been to the DR

Why are you so enthusiastic about moving to an unfamiliar town third world country sight unseen, especially when you will have limited communication with the locals?

Let me tell you me strategy. I was planning on getting with someone(s) , guy or girl (spanish/english speaking familiar with various areas), who wanted to either befriend me or at least make some extra money while we kick it through out various venues. While I strengthen my spanish skills, I would rely on them to be my "ambassador" so to speak. They'll either make some good side money or get all of their drinks and meals free while we have a good time. Know what I mean? Tell me what you think. I think I'll start a thread with this approach and get some feed back. Good lookin' out.

That's basically the premise of any of the "Fast and the Furious" movies. And your "ambassador" will likely get side money as well as free drinks and food, with you totally oblivious to what is going on.

Look bruh, I'm not trying to rain on your parade. DR really can be a great experience, and I hope you make the most of your time there. But be honest with yourself about your intentions. If you're going there to get your mack on (which is very much the norm), then stay on the north coast for a few weeks, enjoy the "local color," and go home.

If you're actually serious about moving there and making a real go of it, then please do the same due diligence you'd perform if you were moving to any new town up in the states.

Visit. A lot. Then visit some more. Make real "non-tigre" contacts. See as much as you can, and definitely learn as much spanish as possible (courses, TV, magazines, spending time in spanish speaking areas with spanish speaking folks, etc.)

I just want to make sure you have a good experience, and your strategy is essentially a sure-fire plan for disaster.

Best of luck to you.