My DR strategy. What'cha think?

John D. Clark

Aug 5, 2007
I'm planning on coming to the DR at the beginning of November. I've put in over 40 hours reading various threads (very informative and entertaining) trying to get a feel for things before I arrive to get a feel for things. I wanted to post my particular strategy and get some input.

BACKGROUND:

1. I am a 39 yr old black man from the U.S. I stand 6'3, and weigh 240lbs with a muscular build (I only say so because that alone has assisted me big time in the U.S.). I'm strikingly attractive...lol ( I'm sticking by my story...lol). I am college educated.

2. I own my company and will be working from home, as I do now. I have pure flexibility of schedule. I initially look to experience the DR's gyms, beaches, basketball courts (btw did I say I was a black guy...ha ha ha) and night life.

3. I have taken spanish for 4 years in high school so I do not speak it fluently but I will master it swiftly upon arrival.

4. Please...I'm not looking for anyone to comment on whether I should or should not come, if I will or will not be okay, or if I'm blinded or not. Regardless of what's said (barring major civil unrest), I am coming, I will be okay and DR1 will be my eyes before I use my own.

INITIAL STRATEGY

I am planning on getting with someone(s), guy(s) or girl(s) who speak spanish/english and are familiar with various areas, who want to either befriend me or at least make some extra money while we kick it through out various venues. While I strengthen my spanish skills, I would rely on them to be my "ambassador" so to speak. They'll either make some good side money or get all of their drinks and meals free while we have a good time. They will eventually pass the banner on to some hot chica (indigenous or imported..lol) Know what I mean? Please tell me if I could improve this approach. Thanks.

COMING SOON TO A THREAD NEAR YOU (my thoughts)

"Should I be packing heat (a gun) or not?"
"Should I pack fake heat (blank firing gun replica) until I get my license?"
"Black and White in the DR Inherent advantages and disadvantages"

Thanks all. Later

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Estoy sorprendido.....

I'm planning on coming to the DR at the beginning of November. I've put in over 40 hours reading various threads (very informative and entertaining) trying to get a feel for things before I arrive to get a feel for things. I wanted to post my particular strategy and get some input.

BACKGROUND:

1. I am a 39 yr old black man from the U.S. I stand 6'3, and weigh 240lbs with a muscular build (I only say so because that alone has assisted me big time in the U.S.). I'm strikingly attractive...lol ( I'm sticking by my story...lol). I am college educated.

2. I own my company and will be working from home, as I do now. I have pure flexibility of schedule. I initially look to experience the DR's gyms, beaches, basketball courts (btw did I say I was a black guy...ha ha ha) and night life.

3. I have taken spanish for 4 years in high school so I do not speak it fluently but I will master it swiftly upon arrival.

4. Please...I'm not looking for anyone to comment on whether I should or should not come, if I will or will not be okay, or if I'm blinded or not. Regardless of what's said (barring major civil unrest), I am coming, I will be okay and DR1 will be my eyes before I use my own.

INITIAL STRATEGY

I am planning on getting with someone(s), guy(s) or girl(s) who speak spanish/english and are familiar with various areas, who want to either befriend me or at least make some extra money while we kick it through out various venues. While I strengthen my spanish skills, I would rely on them to be my "ambassador" so to speak. They'll either make some good side money or get all of their drinks and meals free while we have a good time. They will eventually pass the banner on to some hot chica (indigenous or imported..lol) Know what I mean? Please tell me if I could improve this approach. Thanks.

COMING SOON TO A THREAD NEAR YOU (my thoughts)

"Black and White in the DR Inherent advantages and disadvantages"

Thanks all. Later
I am surprised you are asking all this less than 2 months before relocating to the DR. AMAZING!.

I think that we can help you more if you tell us a little bit of what you know about the DR.

Like how many times have you been there and how long you stayed each time, who do you know there, etc. ect.

The DR is a different monter when on vacation and when relocating there.

A person must have BALLS of STEEL in order to make it there. It has been done but it's very difficult.

So help us here, tell us how far are you on your "homework".

Btw: 4 years of Spanish in High School is the equivalent of learning the VERY basic (not even enough to carry a SLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOWWWWW conversation), in MOST cases. Spanish and Dominican Spanish are completely different,if you know what I mean.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Thanks for posting and welcome here.

The fact that you are inquiring about having a gun is the first thing that worries me.
Maybe you'd be more comfortable in Columbia?

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002

NO and Really NO

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I agree.
Forget the gun thing.
Forget the strategy as well.
Come down and see what pops up by itself.
You can't force these things, and if you do, it has a way of causing you more trouble than good.
You might meet a nice girlfriend type chica who wants to travel the country a bit with you and help you polish up your Spanish, but it's not something you should expect or push for.
This is the land of surprises and it's better to just go with the flow.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
My only suggestion, beyond saying YES to all of the above, is to not stay along the shoreline.
If you plan on living here, find yourself a nice place in one of the larger cities (Yes, even Santo Domingo) and pursue your interests, like BBall.... Through acquaintances made on the courts, you will probably find your way into other sectors of the society. As you network, your circle of acquaintances will grow, and you can pick and choose just who you want to associate with.
Depending on your business talents, you might find some interesting contacts.

The general rule for success is to pick your friends slowly, so as not to be oh-so-open with everyone that "says" that they are your friend. Lots of hidden agendas when dealing with Americans or Canadians....

An, once again, NO on any sidearm.
(NOTE to JDJONES: Or get killed by a cop that "thinks" you are packing a real weapon.)
HB

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I'd strongly encourage you to take your time, get to know the place and the people, be humble and open to whatever comes your way, and most certainly rent before you buy (in all things).

Definitely take your time in getting to know people. Meeting HB and Rocky, along with some of the other great people around here is a good start. I'd focus more on honing my spanish now than before you actually arrive, otherwise you will feel totally overwhelmed.

There's no real advantage or disadvantage to being a black guy in DR (some folks will welcome it, others might shun you, many won't care one way or the other), so I'd leave that baggage at the gate in whichever airport you're coming in from.

Don't flaunt your money. Make everyone think your on some piddly pension, or you won't have a shot at being viewed as anything other than a cash cow.

Be respectful. Every mujere on the island is not a "chica." Actually very few are, and you'll trash your already-suspect reputation in no time in your chosen town/city if you act otherwise. You'll also make the rest of us black folk look bad, so pls stay on at least decent behavior.

Oh, and take your time (did I already mention that?) Based on your questions, I suspect you haven't spent that much time in-country, away from the touristy areas. That's a bit like moving to Central Florida based solely on what you saw in Disneyworld's Magic Kingdom. Both are nice, but very different animals.

If you're looking to "check out" of your life for a few weeks or months (not unusual), rent, and try to learn the language. If you're looking for something more permanent, rent and definitely learn the language.

Oh, and take your time. That said, good luck with your new adventure.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
INITIAL STRATEGY

I am planning on getting with someone(s), guy(s) or girl(s) who speak spanish/english and are familiar with various areas, who want to either befriend me or at least make some extra money while we kick it through out various venues. While I strengthen my spanish skills, I would rely on them to be my "ambassador" so to speak.

You will have no problem finding someone, male or female, to carry out this role. But as this will be your first DR visit (I see from the other thread) do you have sufficient skills to distinguish between the genuinely helpful people, of which there are thousands but they may not come looking for you, and the tigueres who will definitely come looking for you?

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006

:cheeky:and a sense of humor, I want to introduce you to my girlfriend, black beauty about 5'9" tall, shapely. how about it?

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Oh, and try to interact with the community in a way other than picking up chicas. I know you've got your own company, but volunteer somewhere. Get to be known in the non-clubbing social scenes. All of that will help you learn spanish, and make you more respected in your chosen home, just like if you were to stay in your hometown.

Oh, and take your time....

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Some time ago a labor lawyer told me about the case he was carrying of a Puerto Rican who had hired a taxi driver to be his assistant. The taxi driver sued the Puerto Rican for an enormous amount of severance payment when the Puerto Rican wanted to stop using his services. Worse still, I think the Puerto Rican had allowed him to use his apartment, and he was having a hard time evicting the guy, in addition to the guy adding up the apartment to his severance claim. This is an extreme case, but keep it in mind when hiring.

Last edited:

John D. Clark

Aug 5, 2007
Whoa!!! You guys and gals are the coolest.....For real....Apparently chica means something more than a girl.....ha ha ha....my bad. I honestly thought that that's all it meant. I guess the moderator had to step in and save me from some abuse. Good looking out moderator person. I knew that there would be some that are empowered by their anonymity and that's cool.

I don't want to get drawn into anything. But I first would like to tell everyone this. The gun thing is not a result of me but a result of several of DR1's threads. I don't want to own a gun but when one is doing research and they come across various threads speaking of crime stats and safety, you don't know if this is going to be like east Baltimore and Philly or what. I only like taking calculated risk and you see where my math took me after reading those threads (a little paranoid). But at the overwhelming responses of the community stating that this would be foolish, I'm glad to say that I will leave that be. No guns for me. I didn't even get the gun post off yet...ha ha ha. Thank you everyone who responded in public and private. I will be sure to follow up with you, your questions and offers but for now....must get back to work. Thanks again.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
In the case of basketball I have tried and noone on DR1 has been able to help.

This is because alot of these cats here are either too old to play ball or have never played sports in their lives, so you're asking the wrong people.

The barrios are where some of the best pick-up games are played, but you need to go with A FEW people who know you and who also play ball. In other words, native dominicans.

I tried some court near my hotel in Santo Domingo and the comp was terrible. They were more interested sweatin' my rock and my sneakers than in actually playing. I had forgotten for a second where I was and realized that Nike Air Force 1s were rare and highly coveted, and I believe those cats have never seen a new basketball before because they seemed a little too impressed with it.

I never felt in danger, I just forgot I wasn't at home for a second.

There are a few places to play in Sosua and Smush Parker actually hung out there for an afternoon doing all types of crazy dunks. It is on a youtube video so look it up if you're interested.

I know there is a league in El Ceibo and if you are going to live down there try to get down with one of those. I am sure they have them all over the place, you just have to ask around wherever it is you settle down at.

And don't let the poverty fool you-those guys can ball and they WILL come after you. You won't have to worry about the comp, there are plenty of hardcore ballers in the DR. You just have to fall into that scene and you'll be set.

And also, if you are as big as you say you are-I could of used a Kingpin in the low post last time I was playing ball down there!!! WORD!!! LOL!!!!

Last edited:

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Be respectful. Every mujere on the island is not a "chica." Actually very few are, and you'll trash your already-suspect reputation in no time in your chosen town/city if you act otherwise. You'll also make the rest of us black folk look bad, so pls stay on at least decent behavior.

I didn't know that, that decent girls are not chicas??? a chica is a girl a woman, I guess you women chasers have giving it a different meaning??:rolleyes: But yes calling a girl "senorita" is the best and safest word to use.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
What the hell is basketball?

This is because alot of these cats here are either too old to play ball or have never played sports in their lives, so you're asking the wrong people.

Ha, ha not too old yet not too slow either basket ball just don't intesest me, couldn't care less.