Annullment or Divorce?

klora

Jul 3, 2007
I recently got married in Santo Domingo to a Domincan citizen. I found out that was involuntarily deported from the US for 5 years in 2005. I did not know his deportation was involuntarily which makes it evven tougher and more expensive to get him into the US. I don't want to be married to someone I cannot live with until 2010. Is this grounds for an annullment or is this a divorce? Also, will the process be more difficult because I got married in DR and I live in NJ?

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
I wouldn't count..........

..........on EVER getting him to the US.........forget 2010..........

I know this doesn't answer your question, but if thinking that he may get there in 2010 is going to help you make a decision, don't use that as a guide....

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It sounds like good grounds for a divorce to me, but I'm far from being an expert on the matter.
What did he do to warrant his deportation?
Is he not consensual to getting divorced?

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
It's my understanding there is no such thing as being involutarily deported for 5 years...

The penalty is 10 years, (2015) and that's IF they approve his waiver...depending on what he did to merit the deportation, they might NOT...so that means ZERO chance of ever getting him here...

How were you deceived by this person?? How did you find this out AFTER you married him???

I feel so bad for you...and I'm also no expert...but either way...get out of this relationship as fast as you can...

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Follow Your Man

.... I don't want to be married to someone I cannot live with until 2010.

Well, how about coming here to live with him?

BTW, in about 80% of the deportation cases drugs play a role.
Mind you, this may not prevent him from a fabulous career in this country. :cheeky:

Janin

canadiangirl858

Oct 17, 2006
Mr Guzman, I have two questions,

What grounds can you get an annullment on? What is the criteria?

Can you get a divorce in DR as "just cause"? The spouse would name the reasons for the divorce. My friend was able to divorce his wife in Cuba as "just cause" and his reasons were that she lied/used him and misrepresented herself to gain PR status in Canada. Does the DR have this type of divorce?

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
The standard grounds for divorce in the D.R. are "irreconcilable differences" ("incompatibilidad de caracteres") which is interpreted very liberally by judges to include anything you might think of.

To get an annulment, you must essentially have to prove lack of consent at the time of the marriage.