Legal Drinking Age

B

Ben Steele

What is the legal drinking age and is it strictley enforced? What would the penalties involved if an underage tourist was caught in a club/bar drinking? Or are they quite leanient? I am 18 from the U.K and am looking forward to my Holiday!!
Cheers Ben

D

Duck

They may have a legal age, but I don't think too many people know (care) what it is.

G

Gunnar

If you can hold your glass without parental help, you're
of legal age! If not, any adult will assist for a peso...

J

Jim Hinsch

It depends on where you are. Almost all bars in Boca Chica for example have signs up indicating you must be 18 to enter, they periodically check ID and several times a year, bars are closed for allowing minors to enter.

The legal drinking age is 18.

A

Another Gringo in Pto.Pta.

Oh Jim, that means (what I imagine since long *lol*) that Boca Chica is a foreign enclave like Sosua:) ?
cu/charly

G

Gunnar

Sure it depends on where you are. For instance, in Santiago
the helm-law for motorcyclists is currently being enforced.
On question, the local police here in Jarabacoa didn't even know
there was one. My point is: a normal, regular, non-abusive
person will normally not get into trouble when indulging in
normal, regular and non-abusive activities. Any recreational
drug other than alcohol, coffee and nicotin is considered
highly abusive, and could easily render a considerably
longer vacation than intended...
Have a 'Presidente' or 'trago' without fears. Just don't mix
them. It hurts like **** the next morning...

R

Richard

The legal age is supposed to be 18 however as a one-time bar owner in Sosua, i can assure you that unless you are making a real idiot of yourself, 99% of the bars will serve you in the Sosua area. A diplomat I know tells me that there are ocasional crack-downs in the Santo Domingo area, but they are aimed towards Dominican kids whose mothers might have complained to the local cops,and NOT towards tourists. so, i would suggest you don't worry about a legal drinking age, just have a blast, enjoy the Presidente (muy frio por favor) or the Barcelo rum. avoid the Quisqueja, they should have left it in the donkey. Richard if you want some suggestions as to good pubs in the Sosua area send me an e-mail and I will be pleased to try and offer some ideas.