Nursing Schools

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
Are there any nursing schools here that are acredited in the U.S. In other words upon graduation one could work in the U.S. as a resistred nurse ?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
No. Next question.

As a matter of fact, there was supposed to be a program between Fairleigh Dickinson University (Teaneck, NJ) and one of the leading DR universities. The idea was that the DR university would recruit nursing students, train them in basic nursing skills for two years and then ship them to FDU for two more years, after which there was a good paying job awaiting. I have not heard any more on this.

HB

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
ok, Next question. If someone complets the nursing courses here. Would they have to retake the courses in the U.S. of can they just take the State Board Exam and if they pass work there as a Resg. Nurse ? And after passing the boards do their intenship ?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It would be an incredible leap for this to happen...
The tests are in English, state boards differ, and most if not all require in-state training by certified schools.
Where is this person going to school? Is it a 4 year university program?

HB

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
You might want to contact CGFNS International here in he states; this is the organization that NYS uses to confirm the authenticity of education for foreign nursing schools.

so in order to get a RN or LPN license would require:

1. authenticication of school by cgfns.org
2. taking an english proficiency exam
3. applying to take the state license exam
4. passing same exam

I know of no current programs between us schools and DR schools but ask me again in 3-4 months and I should have an answer.

I'm a masters educated RN who is moving to the DR for the winter and maybe longer. I'm interested in teaching nursing or helping develop a nursing program in the country. I'm sure it will take a while to get information, etc.

karlheinz

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
My new wife is from China. She is fluent in English, Japanese, and Chinese. Is studing Spanish now. She has finished college with three degrees. However, she wants more education. I have not talked to her about nursing, thought I would get some facts first. She would like to live in the States for awhile but, need a good job first. and, nursing PAYS.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This will be a long process. Thank you Karl Heinz for that link. Check with FDU and see how their program proposal is going here in the DR.
One of the problems is that people who go into nursing are generally from the lower economic/social levels with little pretensions of ever going higher. In the states, the opposite is true.

At one time, nursing was the one of the few avenues open for women to get into the medical field--at that time the UASD and UNPHU med schools were "for men only!!" or so it seemed. So nursing was the next best thing. Then the PUCMM opened its med school and a flock of nurses applied for entry. Seems anyone with gumption wanted to be a doctor and not a nurse.

Later on, the nursing school started to export nurses, but candidates were few and far between.. sad state of affairs both here and in the states.

HB

A

aaron25

Hi karlheinz. My name is Aaron, I1m from Dominican Republic. I`ll like to send you a private email regarding this nurse topic. I`m need your help and a few answers. Thanks.