Brugal Is Delisted!!

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
I have been having trouble trying to find brugal in the liquor stores here in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area). I even went to the massive Bayview store where an employee went to a computer and informed me that my favourite rum has been delisted right across the province! :ermm:
Any suggestions as to reverse this bad news? :disappoin
Steve

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Carta Dorada seems to still be a good listing; Anejo doesn't come up as either an active or Discontinued product:

BRUGAL GOLD LABEL RUM (DOM.REPUBLIC)
Dominican Republic | BRUGAL & COMPANY
VINTAGES 600502 | 750 mL | $ 22.15

You can do your own listing search at www.lcbo.com

Gregg

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
If Carta Dorada were to disappear from the colmados here in the DR the barrios would explode in riots. :paranoid:

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
???

Matusalem & Co.

"Matusalem Rum is now produced using the original recipe in the Dominican Republic".

Gregg

Well see, this is why I love this Forum, you can always learn something new :).
So it got moved because of the embargo too, huh? Didn't know that. Thanks for the correction!
Still, internationally Metusalem is regarded as a Cuban rum... even Bacardi which is made in Puerto Rico I believe. Interestingly, the contact information is all US... so can this make it be American rum? :ermm:
It's just like the Cuban brands of cigars made here, again because of the embargo. The question of these fine products now being Dominican is debatable... just like the origins of locally sold and brewed Brahma and Quilmes beers or a lead paint decorated Mattel toy being and American or a Chinese toy.

I'd still favor Barcelo Imperial... but that is not the subject of the thread.
What however is, is that I think it is unwise for drug stores to drop Brugal... if they do, I suspect they will see their Aspirine sales drop sharply ;).

... J-D.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I just checked in Guelph because I did buy a couple of bottles before and they have non and they are not getting any more in.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Would you be part of the riot?

I would if they took away my Brahma Light.

I'm not a big rum drinker. Carta Dorada is rotgut. It's their low end product. Brugal Extra Viejo is my choice if I DO drink rum.

I'll bet the rum they are marketing in Canada and calling Gold Label is Extra Viejo.

Canadians can use this search page to find out if Gold Label is available where they are.
Product Search Results

Enter Brugal in the search box,enter then click on the Brugal name that comes up to get to the city locater.
I searched on Guelph and there are no stores listed.

Last edited:

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
I'll bet the rum they are marketing in Canada and calling Gold Label is Extra Viejo.

You're not too far off...

I know the Brugal rep. for Canada and according to what he told me...

The Carta Dorada bottles exported to Canada contain Brugal Anejo and the Brugal Anejo bottles (apparently the delisted product) contained Brugal Extra Viejo. Apparently they often do this for export markets as the brand recognition is better for the lower end products but by using the higher quality spirits the build brand loyalty better (although maybe not in Canada since they are down to one listing).

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Brugal

You're not too far off...

I know the Brugal rep. for Canada and according to what he told me...

The Carta Dorada bottles exported to Canada contain Brugal Anejo and the Brugal Anejo bottles (apparently the delisted product) contained Brugal Extra Viejo. Apparently they often do this for export markets as the brand recognition is better for the lower end products but by using the higher quality spirits the build brand loyalty better (although maybe not in Canada since they are down to one listing).

When you initially go to the site, there appears the Brugal but when you go one step further, all locations near me claim to have no inventory. Thanks for the site though.
Steve