Calling the US from the DR

Am sure many are aware of this already, but I wanted to mention something about calling the US from the DR. If anyone has a phone number through Vonage with a US area code, they can call the US from the DR with a laptop and a Vonage V-phone. I am American, but also live in the DR. I was in Santo Domingo for a week in June, and was able to call the States everyday. My oldest daughter was in Santo Domingo for 12 weeks this summer. We left our V-phone with her. She called us back in the States several times a week and for the most part the connection was crystal clear. (sometimes the connection wasn't good when it was raining in Santo Domingo) The beauty of this is that the calls to the States are not toll calls. Since the V-phone has a phone number with an area code from the US, it's just as if the call is being made from the States. The only toll involved is the normal Vonage monthly usage charge - $24.99. I know some other folks in different parts of the DR who have had some problems using Vonage, but for us it worked great in Santo Domingo. Like many, I have an American cell phone and a Dominican cell phone, and have used that system for years. It's still helpful to have a Dominican cell phone, but calling the States using Vonage worked great for our family.