Machismo and materialism

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
In my never ending quest to learn about my somewhat new home, I gathered a great deal of insight into the Dominican psyche at the gym today.

As it turns out I am in friendly competition with my little brother in a bench press contest, so I have been training rather heavily. I have a Dominican buddy who spots me and we usually speak English as his English is even better than mine. Anyway, I had been sharing some "secrets" with him about powerlifting as I had learned and we have been progressing rather steadily with the weights, so much so that today that at least half the gym stopped in their tracks to see me do my lift. It turns out for most of them it is a whole lot of weight, even for guys that outwweigh me 50 lbs or more. When I was getting ready to do it one of the fellows there warned my spotter that it was going to be his "fault" if I hurt myself. When I did it, a few of the guys noted how red my face got and said I was going to kill myself for sure one day doing so much weight - it didn't seem to matter to them that at one point I had done quite a bit more and in fact was quite meek compared to some of the guys I knew back in the States. One guy who had actually been kidding me about not being strong, who also outweighs me by about thirty pounds, said I was doing it all wrong even though I am already doing more than he can. In fact, I have had quite a few Domincans tell me out of the blue unprovoked that I am too small and skinny and weak to be able to lift like them.

I finally asked my Domincan buddy, what is the deal as I had run into this over the years - Domicans telling me that I was really weak and that they are a lot stronger. He said it is all about being "macho". In other words, if you "look" more "macho", ie bigger and stronger than it means that you are. Even after I showed these guys up it was like it didn't register in the mind of some of the guys - they will never be convinced that I could be stronger even if they see me do it with my own eyes!

At that point a light switched on for me - to Domincans, the "appearance" is valued much more than the "substance". And now matter how much "substance" you have, it will more than likely be overlooked. This explains to me why the excessive materialism is so important to so many Dominicans. It is because if someone has a certain appearnace then all sorts of other things are automatically assumed about the person. Now I understand why sometimes Domincans look at me the way they do in their US120k jipetas when I take my daughter to school on the US2k motorcycle in jeans and sometimes an old tshirt - it is like - look at that poor American - que verguenza - haha!

In spite of this new found insite, Domincans are still very pleasant to be around. Typically, there genteelness will overwhelm their materialism.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Primo I don't know were to beging, but I'll let others with better insights than me go ahead first...maybe.;)

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It's all about saving face. I have seen guys argue the point, even when they have been proved very wrong and shown they are wrong etc etc. They will argue about utter BS, just so they don't hear the words "I'm wrong" or "sorry" come out of their mouths.

Machismo and the Dominican Republic

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It's all about saving face. I have seen guys argue the point, even when they have been proved very wrong and shown they are wrong etc etc. They will argue about utter BS, just so they don't hear the words "I'm wrong" or "sorry" come out of their mouths.

Machismo and the Dominican Republic
Just like "the Fonz" in "Happy Days".
Whoever invented that character, surely had seen Dominicanos in action.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Face.
this is why there is a thriving business of renting out gold (bling) in Upper Manhattan, since it would not be "right" to go back home without something to prove how successful you are.

I have to admit that your experience closely parallels stuff I have experienced many years ago...funny how I remember it when I was reading your note...

Interesting.

HB

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Dominicans are very subconscious about their looks and how they are perceived, women want to look the best (long hair, nice complexion, nice clothes) and men want to be as macho as they can be, whether they express it with "bling", jeepetas, or muscles. They never step out of the house with out looking good. Appearance is everything.

ps. I don't think I ever saw a chica shopping in a pair sweatpants & flip-flops.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Dominicans are very subconscious about their looks and how they are perceived, women want to look the best (long hair, nice complexion, nice clothes) and men want to be as macho as they can be, whether they express it with "bling", jeepetas, or muscles. They never step out of the house with out looking good. Appearance is everything.
I assume you meant "self-conscious", but I don't perceive them that way.
I believe it's more of a pride/vanity thing.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I assume you meant "self-conscious", but I don't perceive them that way.
I believe it's more of a pride/vanity thing.

Oops, your right, it is "self-conscious". They are very aware and concerned with how they are perceived by their peers and since you mentioned it, pride/vanity definitely plays a role in it also.

I see how Dominicans from NYC will buy the newest and priciest items right before they travel back to the DR and when they land they'll rent a big jeepeta, oh yeah not to forget the biggest bottle of Johnny Walker Black or Chivas they can find in duty free. These guys want to be perceived as successful in the eyes of their friends, families and neighbors in their barrio or campo. Some of those bottles are so large, it comes with wheels, hahahaha. To be viewed as chopos would kill them.

Last edited:

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Great story Chip!

For all the stories about this elusivie dominican "wealth", its still very hard to come across. When I was at Casa de Campo this weekend, the guys working there told me that 5% of the guests are Dominican residents, the rest are foreigners.

Yet so many Dominicans have their story of visiting Casa de Campo - but the truth is that they are invited by a friend who has a house on the grounds, or are just visiting for the day. They don't stay in the hotel.

Adrian

P.S. Chip: you should switch to Golds Gym, if you're still at Biofit. There's no comparison between the two, and the price is almost the same. Golds Gym is 10X better.

Last edited:

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
would be nice if some tourists took some pride in their looks too huh ? :ermm:

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Missing Gold Chains

....to Domincans, the "appearance" is valued much more than the "substance". ... It is because if someone has a certain appearnace then all sorts of other things are automatically assumed about the person....

Maybe that's why Dominicans are so crazy about their cock (!) fights.
What a similarity...
A rooster on a dung heap flapping his wings crowing "Aqui rulez yooooooooo..."

Janin

Roberto284

Jul 2, 2004
Great story Chip!

For all the stories about this elusivie dominican "wealth", its still very hard to come across. When I was at Casa de Campo this weekend, the guys working there told me that 5% of the guests are Dominican residents, the rest are foreigners.

Yet so many Dominicans have their story of visiting Casa de Campo - but the truth is that they are invited by a friend who has a house on the grounds, or are just visiting for the day. They don't stay in the hotel.

Adrian

P.S. Chip: you should switch to Golds Gym, if you're still at Biofit. There's no comparison between the two, and the price is almost the same. Golds Gym is 10X better.

Yes, Gold's the best gym !

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
At that point a light switched on for me - to Domincans, the "appearance" is valued much more than the "substance". And now matter how much "substance" you have, it will more than likely be overlooked. This explains to me why the excessive materialism is so important to so many Dominicans. It is because if someone has a certain appearnace then all sorts of other things are automatically assumed about the person. Now I understand why sometimes Domincans look at me the way they do in their US120k jipetas when I take my daughter to school on the US2k motorcycle in jeans and sometimes an old tshirt - it is like - look at that poor American - que verguenza - haha!

In spite of this new found insite, Domincans are still very pleasant to be around. Typically, there genteelness will overwhelm their materialism.

I believe you..... and I'm Dominican. Many Dominicans are very "presumidos" y "vanidosos".

aimelove

Aug 26, 2007

Exactly. I like women who spend a little time in the salon and dress fashionable. Here in the Bronx if you have any problems determining if the woman you are looking at is Dominican or Peurto Rican: look at their clothes and hair. Dominican chicks are almost always put together nice when they step out of the house. Hopefully they maintain those habits as they become more and more Americanized as a people. Unfortunately dressing down has become the American way. I'm old fashioned when it comes to that. I always complement my wife just to let her know I appreciate the effort and I notice. You get tired of seeing women wearing oversized jerseys, sweats and their hair looking "rough".

My father migrated north from poverty in rural Georgia up North in the 1950's. I looked at pictures of how he dressed as he had money in his hands for the first time in his life. Very flashy and fashionable. "Look at me now" "I made it". I also remembering him taking the rental car stickers off of the cars we rented when we went to his hometown in the summer just so his old buddies and family thought that the rental cars were ours. Its the same type of thing. People who don't (or didn't) have money want to look like they do.

Substance is harder to obtain than style.

CJnNJ

Aug 7, 2005

...as well as the foreigners/expats who live there.

I'd like read posts from Dominicans on their views, perceptions and interactions with foreigners and expats who are visiting or living in DR. Surely vanity and materialism are not limited to Dominicans.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Its not difficult to surmise that a bunch of Dominicans in a gym with egos as big as their muscles would act the way they did. Surely muscles and strength does not equal intelligence. :laugh:....same scenario is probably played out all over the world.