El Tabl?n

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
Read on sosuanews.com that the apartments are almost complete.

Will this really happen or will corruption win again? I had heard that in the past, political cronies get the apartments and resell them. Poor people just move back.

This would be horrible because El Tabl?n is a cesspool, down stream from Sosua Abajo.

I understand that the answer is ?NO, nothing can be done?. Any ideas? News media etc

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Read on sosuanews.com that the apartments are almost complete.

Will this really happen or will corruption win again? I had heard that in the past, political cronies get the apartments and resell them. Poor people just move back.

This would be horrible because El Tabl?n is a cesspool, down stream from Sosua Abajo.

I understand that the answer is ?NO, nothing can be done?. Any ideas? News media etc

Well, lets say thing the way they are so many times, and that goes beyond El Tablon: Yes, many times "other" people got into those housing projects, but many times also those who were supposed to get (at least some of the) units, just either sold them or rent them out and move back to where they came from. Some have been that good at it, that they have been able to repeat the scheme.
It would seem that this time, regarding El Tablon, the intention is to move'em out all at once and bulldozer down El Tablon after the last leaving. The only right approach, if it shall be a success at resolving the problem this was causing to the development of Puerto Chiquito.

I visited the development behind La Union yesterday and found about 560 units out of the 750 they claim to have erected. It's a little valley behind La Caoba full of three story buildings at 10 feet distance to another. Two, two bed room / 1 bath apartments. All solid poured steel reinforced concrete walls, about 5" thick! May withstand some abuse, but I wonder how it behaves with seismic movement(s). However a very effective and fast way to knock that many units out of the ground in a short time period since it's all the same model repeated again and again. Anyway, about half are pretty much finished raw buildings.... some even with exterior paint. No windows nor doors yet. Some have steel railing installed around balconies, etc. But if they want to move them ALL in in October/November... I have to ask of which year?? :cheeky:

Besides being unable to find about 200 apartments, I feel the whole thing may trigger some social problems with the residents of La Union. La Union may look ugly when you pass it on the main road, but actually it's a quite livable community. A lot of policemen and retired army personnel and related families live there... it's not as bad a neighborhood as many may think it is. Access to the new development for the El Tablon residents is only ONE road going thru La Union (the first one West going South up the hill within La Union. La Union residents are already weary of what kind of people lives in El Tablon ("... hay mucho ladrones, atracadores, tigueres y drogaditos.") and the impact of about two to three thousand of them passing thru La Union to get in and out every day, may have on their community and safety.
Most hope that most will sell quickly and seek a new barrio project to start somewhere else.

We shall see.
I think the government is serious about cleaning El Tablon up. Still I am missing 200 units... but there is room to go. But they have to move'em at once or it will be a shot in the air.

... J-D

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It would seem that this time, regarding El Tablon, the intention is to move'em out all at once and bulldozer down El Tablon after the last leaving. The only right approach, if it shall be a success at resolving the problem this was causing to the development of Puerto Chiquito.
Wiping out El Tablon would not resolve the problem in Puerto Chiquito, assuming you are talking about the beach not being swimmable because of the pollution.
The river is alreay super polluted before ever reaching El Tablon.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Wiping out El Tablon would not resolve the problem in Puerto Chiquito, assuming you are talking about the beach not being swimmable because of the pollution.
The river is alreay super polluted before ever reaching El Tablon.

No, I don't think it alone will resolve the problem as a whole, but it is a key step without which there is NO solution at all.
Additionally, there seems to have been yet another project for a marina in lieu of El Tablon as part of the touristic development of Puerto Chiquito. As little probability I am willing to give it yet, it too is impossible with El Tablon among it.
Do I believe it will ever happen (the marina, Puerto Chiquito lindo y limpio)? Sure, the day somebody shows it to me "life", finished and done, I just might (after thoroughly scrubbing my eyes and carefully recounting empty beer bottles around, twice!) :D

Here some pictures of the development as I found it yesterday (Sept 10th, 2007):

img1233smalldv6.jpg
img1236smallfa0.jpg

img1234smallaf8.jpg
img1240smallxl5.jpg

... J-D.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Unfortunately all I see there is a future project (ghetto) a la Cabrini Green, in Chicago before it had to be demolished...

The thieves, muggers, drug addicts, etc who now live in El Tablon won't stop doing what they are doing just because they move to a nicer home.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Looks like said 'thieves, muggers, drug addicts' don't actually want to move according to Puerto Plata Digital.
Puerto Plata Digital

Tell me, are all the residents of El Tabl?n deserving of these adjectives?
They certainly are not, but the percentages are alarmingly high.
As for them not wanting to go to the new location, the 'thieves, muggers, drug addicts' are probably happy to go, but not the good decent folks.
The new apartments are way too small and the payments too high.

PS: I didn't see in that article, where they called them 'thieves, muggers, drug addicts'.

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
This is a shame, some people who live there are deserving

This housing should be free.

The hosing may be small but I can not believe any worse than what I?ve seen there.

A manager of a hotel that I would stay at, knew a family of five that the father was injured and could not work. Once a week she would bring them food. I went with her one time and what I saw applaud me. And I had thought I had seen some bad areas.

It is just too close to water, everything was damp and moldy. I thought I?d do some good and buy them new beds. They were very appreciative and fortunately they only had one old bed to throw in the river running to the ocean. I nearly cried.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
The whole thing is, among other things, yet again a display of poor journalism... there is no investigative interest displayed at all.

First, the news paper are content at just echoing the official numbers: 700 families, 750 apartments and publishing some interviews of some smart residents of El Tablon.
I don't know how many families really dwell in El Tablon and what the boundaries of El Tablon are. How many people are 700 families. How are families being definded as such?
I found only about 560 apartments or structures which would eventually, when finished on October or November of 200? so far. Why is this not being discussed?

The apartments are indeed small... they are smaller than most in La Union. The kitchen area and the bath (actually a shower room) are minimal in size... Dominicans loving to cook, the living/dining room has no real window (only a high opening towards the stair case. This will be an issue to many who are used to more space and comfort, but are most who dwell in El Tablon? Well, as Marco made me understand during a visit at his place yesterday, some seem to have quite comfortable homes there... and they are NOT ready to settle for anything smaller... some actually can't because their family living in the present home is large than what could possibly fit in such an apartment. So, the question would be, how does the government allocate space and families? Again no numbers in the papers!
What is the cost of these apartments? Well, the only number I have found so far, is that they would be made to pay "only" 25%! Great! Of how much?? My opinion? USD 10'000.oo or less... COST. Can a family assume paying a 2500.oo loan (25%) over a couple of years at 13 or so percent? (at 15% over 5 years = USD 60.oo/month or RD$ 2000. Rents in La Union start around that amount.)

Talking about the "Who's Who" of El Tablon... well, there will be all sorts of people. One can visit the worst Batey and still find God fearing church goers praying all day and night and tigueres trading hair raising stories living side by side... and all the nuances in between, too. However one fact is, that the Sosua police avoids dearly showing itself in El Tablon... they get shot at randomly, so the reports of some "tigrillos" I know.

On the other hand... people there are street wise, no doubt. And they will moan and protest on the way out even if they get a better deal than what even they hoped for. They know what's at stake and that what ever is offered to them will not be because some government feels bad about their situation but because it is or seems worth the cost to them and some business people behind. They will bargain 'till the cows come home, again and again. Let's not forget, they have one big card they can always play, they are the poor people... they can represent the sentiment of the voting majority. If it turns into a war, war will not only go down in El Tablon, but may surge out of so many barrios and bateys throughout the nation... and finally elections are around the corner and just about every presidential hopeful would like to be seen as "el Presidente de los pobres" and El Tablon residents know that too.

It will be interesting to see how it all goes down. A history lesson, a reminder of history or a historic lesson... we shall see.

... J-D.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
There was a march today, organized by the people who live in El Tablon, to protest the impending obligatory move to the new homes behind La Union.
The protesters sought permission for the march several times with the local Syndico, who apparently did not give it to them.
So the protesters sent him a message that they were going to march today, with or without his permission.
Cops were dispatched, and they tossed some type of gas grenade which ignited one of the wooden houses and burned it down.
A battle ensued, in which 3 people were wounded by gunshots from the cops.
The three were taken to Puerto Plata for medical attention by the news reporting crew who were there filming the events.

This is an account of the events, as told to me by a Tablon resident.
I was not there, so I cannot verify the accuracy of the story.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
There was a march today, organized by the people who live in El Tablon, to protest the impending obligatory move to the new homes behind La Union.
The protesters sought permission for the march several times with the local Syndico, who apparently did not give it to them.
So the protesters sent him a message that they were going to march today, with or without his permission.
Cops were dispatched, and they tossed some type of gas grenade which ignited one of the wooden houses and burned it down.
A battle ensued, in which 3 people were wounded by gunshots from the cops.
The three were taken to Puerto Plata for medical attention by the news reporting crew who were there filming the events.

This is an account of the events, as told to me by a Tablon resident.
I was not there, so I cannot verify the accuracy of the story.

I am surprised they would need a permission for a march and that it could be denied. That was a unwise and ill faithed decision by the Sindico. If there is ONE thing they should not want, it is war with a barrio or batey (which ever you want to call that particular one) as it may trigger a raise of many if not all barrios in the nation... general strikes and so forth. I've seen it in other countries... it ain't funny!
Sometimes you would think, people in offices would have a smoother way of steering things in the direction the want it to go eventually.
Until recently the El Tablon residents seemed to be negotiating and bargaining, which indicated that they were at least considering moving.

... J-D.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I am surprised they would need a permission for a march and that it could be denied. That was a unwise and ill faithed decision by the Sindico. If there is ONE thing they should not want, it is war with a barrio or batey (which ever you want to call that particular one) as it may trigger a raise of many if not all barrios in the nation... general strikes and so forth. I've seen it in other countries... it ain't funny!
Sometimes you would think, people in offices would have a smoother way of steering things in the direction the want it to go eventually.
Until recently the El Tablon residents seemed to be negotiating and bargaining, which indicated that they were at least considering moving.

... J-D.
Bear in mind, that the facts might not be as portrayed in my post.
People colour their versions, to best suit their agendas.
There definitely was an altercation, a burnt house, and some injured residents.
The reasons and details may not be accurate.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
According to channel 3's reports on the events, it was to be a pacifistic march.
They agree that city hall refused to give them a permit to march/demonstrate.
The demonstrators say the cops shot first, the cops say that two shots were fired at them, and they responded.
Three people were difinitely injured, but not fatally.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
There are video clips being broadcast, that show people washing their faces in water buckets, to combat the effects of the gas bombs.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
A fellow is being interviewed, who I happen to know, as he does work for us at Rocky's.
He's one of the most honest well spoken Dominicans I know.
He and others are affirming that the cops instigated the battle, as they wipe their eyes from the burning effects of having been gassed.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Geez...
The folks from El Tablon are saying that the cops threw a gas bomb into the Colegio. (Children's grade school)
One of the witnesses says he saw the Colonel order the gas bombs to be launched.
They also talked about the cops having severely injured a motoconcho driver.
It's fairly clear that the Tablon residents do not feel that being moved to the newly built apartments is a good deal, otherwise they would be jumping for joy to go.
If they are resisting that vehemently, it must be a lousy deal.