Washer/Washing Machines

sylvia00

Jul 17, 2007
Hi everyone!!
Well, I've been living here in Sto dgo for about a year, and until now Ive been washing my clothes in this really cheap semi-automatic washer. but now i'm sick (literally) and tired and want to buy a new one. i was recommended by my doctor in my country to buy a washing machine that heats the water up inside because i got a weird rash caused by some bacterias or whatever that stays in the clothes and survive my cold wash. so for a month now i have been ironing an hour everyday, and im pretty tired of that too. well, anyway... i have called around the biggest suppliers of electrodomesticos (plaza lama, maqui-something, molina, corripio etc. etc.) and they have only washing machines that you have to get the hot water from a different source. my problem is that i have a tiny heater thats connected to my shower that gives me like 5 minutes of hot water. so how do you guys wash your clothes (haha)? :p and does anyone know where i can get a hand of the washer that heats the water? or how would be the best way to heat the water for the washer?? thank you so much!!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Never had this problem. Chlorine in the wash water kills bacteria. So does softener, so I hear. You might look at a propane water heater just for your washing. Sucks up propane but really heats up the water....hot hot hot...

HB

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
American style wash machines do not heat water, while European style do... electrically... not a good solution for the DR anyway.
What you may consider is a gas water heater (the immediate "thru"-type) for the wash machine and maybe the kitchen, if it's near to another. I haven't seen them here, but you can get a small one in Europe (eg: Spain) for about USD 120.oo and I would think they are available in the US too... Ecuador has them too and so does Colombia.

But as said above, chlorine will kill most bacteria, while some washing powder may cause some people to have rashes.

... J-D

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Clearly, a little chlorine would go a long way. If you have a bad reaction to that, however, tankless water heaters would be a good solution (and would give you longer showers as well), but they are expensive in the US, so I'm not sure how much they'd set you back in DR.

Otherwise, it might not be a bad idea to simply get yourself a larger water heater, and hire a plumber to run a line for you. Not cheap, admittedly, but better than trying to import a Kenmore HE4 model from the states....

Good luck, and hope you feel better soon.

sylvia00

Jul 17, 2007
Hi!! Thanks everyone! I probably misexpressed myself in the first post.. its not exactly a rash, it was a itch caused by a parasite thats in the clothes and madrass, now its practically gone because of my constant ironing and some antibiotics, but i dont want this to come back... so it seems i should buy a propane heater (the gas is included in my rent, so it wouldnt be economically a problem). where can I get one?

sylvia00

Jul 17, 2007
ah, and i hate chlorine... and its too harsh on the clothes!!! im not a huge fan of chemicals! but thanks anyway!

Don Pedro

Apr 2, 2005
American style wash machines do not heat water, while European style do... electrically... not a good solution for the DR anyway.
... J-D

Yes you have to buy a front-loading washing machine , Fagor or Brandt.
At Carrefour or comforama. A simple one around Pesos 25 000.

No there is no problem with the electric heater because only 1000 watts are used for 10 minutes only.
Then your machine needs 120 watts.

We use one for years (brand).

I will work when I am a rich guy and I will sell efficient washing machine there is a huge market.

cuas

May 29, 2006
Dominicans iron newborn clothing to kill some insects from the trees and plants that can give them rashes. I you need heat, buy a dryer and avoid hanging your clothes outside. It seems that you have sensitive skin.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You Will Be Wasting You Time And Money!!!

Just be sure to rinse your clothes VERY well after you wash them. Dominican laundry powder is VERY Caustic! It has a high alkalin content! That WILL give you a "rash"! Use very little powder,and then rinse well."American" laundry detergent can be purchased at most supermarkets. It is less alkalin.
The "Hot Water" advice doesn't "Hold Water"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
If the parasite is scabies, we have had a problem with that too. The solution is to wear clothes and use towels and sheets only once before washing and to dry in the hot sun until thoroughly dry. Also, leave the beds uncovered fro most part of the day if possible and of course use the cream they recommend to kill the little buggers.

BTW, we have an American washing machine and dryer but don't use the dryer.