Bringing in a car over 5 years old

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Is this possible? Maybe through a dealer or good customs broker? I'm looking to bring in a 2000 model year vehicle. Doubt it's possible but thought I'd check if anyone knew of any loopholes...

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Is this possible? Maybe through a dealer or good customs broker? I'm looking to bring in a 2000 model year vehicle. Doubt it's possible but thought I'd check if anyone knew of any loopholes...
I doubt there's a loophole, David, but if there is a way, your friend Miguel Angel at Espaillat would know.
You need his number?

Feb 7, 2007
I know a person that brought 2001 model 4 months ago. That's 6 years old, so that should not be a problem.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I know a person that brought 2001 model 4 months ago. That's 6 years old, so that should not be a problem.

Does anybody know if it is the model year which counts or the actual age (date of first registration) of the vehicle. A 2001 four months ago could still have been < 5 years old if it was registered for the first time in May 2002.
But if it was older than 5 years, yes, it would be a problem, based on the law.

... J-D.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Why risk it? You can try it, but you may lose the vehicle in the process...regardless of what anyone tells you they can confiscate it if it is older than 5 years old or has ever been titled salvage. Trust me on this...

Also the shipping companies are very aware of this and some won't even take your car if it past the number of years allowed.

Jan 9, 2004
Actually.....

the age of an automobile can be determined by the production date which is to be found on the center post of the drivers door. But, the model year of the vehicle might be different.

By way of example, there are many 2002 autos that were manufactured in 2001 and thus would not qualify under the 5 year rule, if the production date were used. However, it is my understanding Aduana uses the year of the vehicle as evidenced on the Certificate of Title.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Does anybody know if it is the model year which counts or the actual age (date of first registration) of the vehicle. A 2001 four months ago could still have been < 5 years old if it was registered for the first time in May 2002.
But if it was older than 5 years, yes, it would be a problem, based on the law.

... J-D.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
the age of an automobile can be determined by the production date which is to be found on the center post of the drivers door. But, the model year of the vehicle might be different.

By way of example, there are many 2002 autos that were manufactured in 2001 and thus would not qualify under the 5 year rule, if the production date were used. However, it is my understanding Aduana uses the year of the vehicle as evidenced on the Certificate of Title.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Thanks Playacaribe... that was actually my point.
My question was which date es being used by the local LAW in reference to the 5 year limitation, isit the date of manufacture, the model year or the date of first registration (fecha de primer matriculacion)?
Based on your reply I am led to assume that you assume that the customs offices base them selves on the later(?).

... J-D.

Jan 9, 2004
Unscientifically speaking...

both times I have sent vehicles, to determine whether the vehicle qualifies, Aduana used the model year as evidenced by the Certificate of Title

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Thanks Playacaribe... that was actually my point.
My question was which date es being used by the local LAW in reference to the 5 year limitation, isit the date of manufacture, the model year or the date of first registration (fecha de primer matriculacion)?
Based on your reply I am led to assume that you assume that the customs offices base them selves on the later(?).

... J-D.

bart6

Aug 17, 2007
I have recently been looking to bring a 2001 toyota tundra down and was told by the shipper that it could be brought down because I have a recent residency card otherwise could not be brought down based on age. from NY they wanted $1100 US for shipping plus taxes which came to $3200