Surfers

ruslo

Sep 11, 2007
Do we have any surfers on this forum that live on the north coast? If so, were about is a good place to set up and live close to surf. I?ve been looking at Sosua and Cabarete, from all the research I?ve done I see that?s where most of the surf is, between those 2 points in the north. I would like to be somewhat away from all the touristy parts and maybe somewhere on a mountain close to the beach. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
There is no mountain around that area.
You could find a place fairly closeby that isn't touristy, but you would have to search around to see what suits you.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I believe that the OP knows that the good surfing is between Sosua & Cabarete, as per his first post, but he is looking for accommodations closeby, if anyone has some good suggestions.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Playa Bonita, in the Las Terrenas area... Better waves in the winter, much better during and after a cold front...

headnerd

Dec 28, 2006
Las Canas ain't bad either

Th surfing is OK (by DR standards) at Encuentro... the rocks there can be vicious, though. I think the reason it is known as the best surf beach is because it just happens to have a surf school.

Las Canas has a much nicer entry and bottom and goes for miles. On a good day, it's awesome. On a bad day, well, it's not really surfing material.

FYI - Las Canas is 20km past Cabarete towards Gaspar Hernandez. I live there.