cabarete caves

N

naturelover

can you just drive there or do you need to book a tour.....or do you get mobbed by people trying to take you on a tour

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Covered the caves for the Playa Dorada magazine in 2006. This what I wrote:

"About 1 km west of central Cabarete, and a 1 km walk from the main road, are the caves that form part of the Natural Monument Cabarete and Goleta Lagoons (also known as El Choco National Park), which offer an alternative to all the sun and surf of Cabarete.

You walk through lush tropical jungle, and then up man-made steps. Then through to a big passage and suddenly you are told to walk down, down under. It's so cool, but then weird. All of a sudden you are in a natural jacuzzi, a crystal clear pond in the middle of the earth.

The caves are the result of geological formations known as Caribbean karsts that are found in relatively flat landscapes and are made up of sinkholes, sinkhole ponds, disapearing streams, crystal clear springs and underground caverns often filled with water.

There are several caves in the area, some a one-hour hike and others a three-hour hike away. Horse ranches take visitors on tours into the park to observe the numerous edible tropical fruit plants and the vast variety of birds.

This area is a large protected extension of around 77.5 square kilometers (48 sq. miles) of lagoons, pasture and low mountains, amidst rainforest and several caves."

To answer your question: Yes, you can just drive there. You could hire one of the locals to take you to the underground watering hole, or you could just follow the trails. There may be many aspirants to guides, but I would think they would understand you can only hire one person. The caves do not get many visitors, so I would think that you will not be "mobbed" by people trying to take you on a tour.

Last edited:

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
And last time we went it cost about USD $15.
There was only one guide there who was the 'official' guy.
He spoke good english and knew the flora, fauna and history.
We saw no buscones trying to show tourists around.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Took my sisters family, including kids up there a couple years ago.
Was someone there when we arrived who acted as tour guide.
Took about an hour walk up into the hills where he explained the local vegetation and animal life, as well as some history of the island.

The caves weren't that impressive to me, however the kids enjoyed the trip.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Cabarete caves photos

See these photos of the entrance, the trails, the stairs down to the "jacuzzi", the "jacuzzi" and the ranger house on the property. I would definitely recommend this park for horse riding, with a dip in the jacuzzi at the end. Also, as stated in my previous post, it is something different to do compared to the sun and surf at Cabarete.

I have not visited them but have been told there are bigger caves in the area, but takes about two hours to get there on foot.

These photos are of sites that can be seen within an hour's walk.

If you are into nature walks, be sure to visit the Botanical Gardens on top of the Isabel de Torres skylift 15 minutes from Puerto Plata city.

Also, there are the Dudu underwater caves, less than an hour east near Cabrera.

Last edited:

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Not Carlsbad

I wasn't expecting Carlsbad Caverns or anything but i think they were worth seeing and just wish the area was better taken care of. Better to go when it hasn't rained recently.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Those of you who are into caves should visit:

Fun Fun in Hato Mayor.
Cueva de las Maravillas. Between San Pedro and La Romana.
Pomier in San Cristobal.