Electricity Anti-Theft Device

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Done If Possible

Well, as I understand it, it's not really a device against electricity theft but a system that automatically or by remote control delivers electricity to a consumer who subscribes to a plan using prepaid cards.
Depending where the system is hooked up theft would still be possible.
And whatever is possible will be applied...

m'frog

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
It says that they will be able to remotely detect when someone connects illegally to the line. Also will be able to shut on/off power to a user like they do with phone service. In addition the customer will be able to pre-pay for power, monitor usage, etc...Its actually pretty cool, but I pray this doesn't get rolled out too quickly if at all. I like the current system...It cost me nothing...

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
you can always put a strong magnet to slow down the meter or just turn it over it will run backwards. Or go into the backside of the meter where the main wire runs in and pull direct. lots of ways to steal if you are that kind of person I just pay my bill 60 dollars per month is nothing.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
you can always put a strong magnet to slow down the meter or just turn it over it will run backwards. Or go into the backside of the meter where the main wire runs in and pull direct. lots of ways to steal if you are that kind of person I just pay my bill 60 dollars per month is nothing.

I think this is a brand new device altogether, not the current meters. It sounds like is electronically controlled and according to them 99.9% secure...I do agree that it would be a matter of time before someone hacks it and figures out how to slow it down, etc...

DOMINCAN BOY

On Vacation!
Jun 6, 2006
The wheel on the meter is aluminium non magnetic

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
If there is a way to steal electricity (to include magnets), someone will try it...

elkangorito

Sep 24, 2007
If there is a way to steal electricity (to include magnets), someone will try it...

There is a way to 'inductively' steal electricity but the usual thieves wouldn't have the nouse or the money to buy/use such a thing. The only way to do it easily, is to tap into the wiring before it disappears into your home...or tap into the wires on the powerpoles. Both methods are highly dangerous to carry out.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
So somebody pays for your consumption.
Could it be that you are Dominican?

Janin

Yes sireee...I'm Dominican, so what? Don't Dominicans pay for electricity? Stereotyping anyone?

I don't pay because nobody else pays in my neighborhood (one of the benefits of living within the Dominican community), we only get a few hours of electricity a day and besides with the ITEBIS taxes I've paid just this year alone, which the government is stealing anyway, I figure I've paid more than enough for them give me electricity for a few years...

So...nope. I ain't paying a penny until I absolutely have to...like we say in El Cibao "Ai que le pique, que se raque"...

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
great link on the subject

Electricity meter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia read the section Tampering and security

short quote "In some areas, where tampering is widespread, power rationing and brownouts result. Industries needing reliable power do not locate to such areas, permanently impoverishing the area, and raising power rates very high for honest subscribers."

Sounds like they are hitting the nail right on the head.