visiting DR for the 1st Time

Sir Duke

Sep 12, 2007
Hello,

I plan on visiting DR for the first time and would like to know where to go.
I'm a single hetero male and would like something in the line of an all inclusive, near a beach, with fine women (of course). My boys have mentioned Puerto Plata or Sosua. But I've seen a lot of ads for Punta Cana and Santo Domingo. Any suggestions?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hello,

I'm a single hetero male and would like something in the line of an all inclusive, near a beach, with fine women (of course). My boys have mentioned Puerto Plata or Sosua. But I've seen a lot of ads for Punta Cana and Santo Domingo. Any suggestions?
1st: When folks go to Puerto Plata, they are generally going to an all inclusive resort on the outskirts of the city, whereas most Sosua visitors are in independent hotels.
2nd: Punta Cana is almost exclusively all inclusive resorts and is far away from anything and everything.
3rd: Santo Domingo is the capital city, no beaches, no AI resorts that I know of, and generally not the ideal place for a first time visitor who doesn't speak the lingo.
4th: There's a bit of a conflict in your request.
Staying in an AI resort is not very conducive to the dating scene, as you would not be allowed to invite a local female into your room.
5th: Assuming that you're interested in dating the local females, Sosua would be the only good choice of the 4 places you mentioned.
6th: If you are talking about dating other tourists, then Puerto Plata or Punta Cana would be equally good.

Sir Duke

Sep 12, 2007
Rocky,

Thanks for the info. All good stuff to know. My plan is to of course date a local. I'm from NYC and have found the woman here to be beautiful. i can only imagine what a local looks like, not to say the ones here are not home grown transfers. Not really interested in dating a tourist. For that I could stay home. Your information is invaluable and I can't thank you enough. Without it, I would have probably went to Punta Cana or Santo Domingo and been stuck. So Sosua it will be. Also, you seem to have a good idea as to whats going on there. Any recommendations for a good hotel in Sosua? Also, I read some previous posts about the "pink shirt cab mafia?" what's the deal with that?

Thanks

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Rocky,

Thanks for the info. All good stuff to know. My plan is to of course date a local. I'm from NYC and have found the woman here to be beautiful. i can only imagine what a local looks like, not to say the ones here are not home grown transfers. Not really interested in dating a tourist. For that I could stay home. Your information is invaluable and I can't thank you enough. Without it, I would have probably went to Punta Cana or Santo Domingo and been stuck. So Sosua it will be. Also, you seem to have a good idea as to whats going on there. Any recommendations for a good hotel in Sosua? Also, I read some previous posts about the "pink shirt cab mafia?" what's the deal with that?

Thanks
Glad to help.
I've never heard of the pink shirt cab mafia. What is it?

Here are some guest friendly hotels & condos in Sosua.
New Garden Hotel - Sosua
http://www.hotelcasacayena.com/
Casa Valeria 809-571-3565 (can't find website right now)
Tradewinds
Sosua Vacation Rentals-Condo Rentals in the Dominican Republic

Sir Duke

Sep 12, 2007
Rocky,

Thanks again for the hotel/condo info.
I was reading some old posts. One in particular "Punta Cana Airport (PUJ) Taxi Rates"
has a discussion about Siutratural, which is suppossed to be or was the local taxi company that has/had a monopoly on business at the airport. They were described as the "pink shirt mafia." However, since the post is somewhat dated, maybe they no longer exist, I don't know. But since I am going there, I really don't want to get ripped.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Rocky,

Thanks again for the hotel/condo info.
I was reading some old posts. One in particular "Punta Cana Airport (PUJ) Taxi Rates"
has a discussion about Siutratural, which is suppossed to be or was the local taxi company that has/had a monopoly on business at the airport. They were described as the "pink shirt mafia." However, since the post is somewhat dated, maybe they no longer exist, I don't know. But since I am going there, I really don't want to get ripped.
That's way at the other end of the country from us, so I guess that's why I never heard of it.
Taxi rates from POP airport are posted on a large board as you exit the main terminal.
POP airport to Sosua is $20 US.
Some hotels may include the POP airport pickup.

Sir Duke

Sep 12, 2007
Awesome!
Rock, you're the best!!! Thanks for all the info.

PS. I see you live there? Before I come to town, I'll post here. If you're around, maybe we can meet. Would be good to know someone that's familiar with local customs and protocol.

Thanks again.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Awesome!
Rock, you're the best!!! Thanks for all the info.

PS. I see you live there? Before I come to town, I'll post here. If you're around, maybe we can meet. Would be good to know someone that's familiar with local customs and protocol.

Thanks again.
I'm not hard to find in Sosua.

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Yes Yes Yes

yes, Rocky is awesome for info and if you are going to Sosua, you will have a blast. If you are going to Santo Domingo, you must visit the Colonial Zone (CZ) and you will see some great sites. If you do visit it capital, you will find lots of hotels that are clean and safe and many are expensive, but if you want to find a guest friendly hotel that is inexpensive and clean and safe, consider the maison gautreaux. Nice place and you will be impressed.

All in All, have a good trip and be sure to post a trip report on DR1 when you return.

DAKRA

:squareeye

Feb 7, 2007
I was reading some old posts. One in particular "Punta Cana Airport (PUJ) Taxi Rates" ... But since I am going there, I really don't want to get ripped.

You should get yourself straight on where you are going to. If you go to Sosua, you don't go to Punta Cana and vice versa. Sosua is 10 hours travel time from Punta Cana. So if you don't go to Punta Cana, don't book a ticket there... and you won't have to be preocuppied with the pink shirt mafia... what a funny expression ... for me, it's taxi turistico mafia all'around'the DR.

dymmach

Feb 9, 2007
Ha, hold on a minute the capital has a few things to offer as well.

If your in to the beach scene and just waiting to throw on the speedos, then yeah hit up Sosua.

If not, then try Santo Domingo! Excellent niteclubs, restaurants, bars, and mucho chicas ( good & bad ).

A lot of 1st timers enjoy it. Oh yeah! A little spanish will come in handy no matter where you at.

P.S. You can always grab a cab to boca chica if the water is a must.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Ha, hold on a minute the capital has a few things to offer as well.

If your in to the beach scene and just waiting to throw on the speedos, then yeah hit up Sosua.

If not, then try Santo Domingo! Excellent niteclubs, restaurants, bars, and mucho chicas ( good & bad ).

A lot of 1st timers enjoy it. Oh yeah! A little spanish will come in handy no matter where you at.

P.S. You can always grab a cab to boca chica if the water is a must.
The OP might be worth re-reading
Santo Domingo does NOT have hotels near a beach.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
a first timer may enjoy boca chica although sosua would be a great option. you could stay in boca chica by day and go to santo domingo by night or vice versa.
this may be asking a whole lot for a first timer. my first time was boca chica but my spanish was pretty decent.
another option for your stay in sosua would be the del delfin. no website, 809-571-2124 ask for harold.