Fresh Veggies!!!

holita

Jun 6, 2006
Hey guys...I need some fresh veggies!!! I have been liviung here 2 months and havd had a hard time finding baby greens, spinach, brocoli, etc....anyone know where I can get these? :ermm:

nydr

Feb 24, 2006
Where do you live?
At supermercado nacional you'll find very good products.
I'm asking you where do you live, because I can tell you about some fresh product's markets.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
You have a Supermercado Nacional right next to you, on Nu?ez de Caceres...eh..what have you been eating for the past 2 months???? Nacional have lots of international products too !!

rubia2

May 19, 2007
For a good selection of imported produce, head to Eat! on Bolivar on the right hand side just after you cross Lincoln. They've had US cherries and blueberries, lots of vegetables (including 2 kinds of squash and many greens), even fresh Thai tamarinds.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
For a good selection of imported produce, head to Eat! on Bolivar on the right hand side just after you cross Lincoln. They've had US cherries and blueberries, lots of vegetables (including 2 kinds of squash and many greens), even fresh Thai tamarinds.

I was specifically told by a well-respected member of this site who was in the fruits and veggies business that he had never seen blueberries in the DR.

Please tell me if this is true, because when I go to Santo Domingo I need to find them.

And if you know please tell me if they are available in Santiago and the North Coast. PLEEEEEEZE!!!!!!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Blueberries - I was told that Supermercado Amigo in Naco (Av Gustavo Mej?a Ricart, between Tiradentes and Ortega y Gasset) has sold them, fresh and/or frozen. They cost a pretty penny - can't remember how much but the image it evoked was that each punnet had its own seat on the plane. :D

I made a quick visit to this E.A.T. place when they first opened and did not find the people who worked there very welcoming, a feeling I've rarely experienced in all my years in the DR.

Anyway, the place had only just opened and was not fully stocked yet so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. They actually had a pretty good range of imported international gourmet foods and the prices weren't completely heart-attack inducing. e.g. I was pleasantly surprised to see Lemon Curd (not gourmet, I know, but yummmmmmyyyy!).

It looked like they were working on a fresh produce section so this is another place where you might find things like blueberries.

Another good place to check out is the Italian deli on 30 de Marzo, between Parque Independencia and the National Palace. The staff there are friendly and helpful, the selection is great and the prices are very reasonable.

rubia2

May 19, 2007
The staff at E.A.T. has been friendly and helpful. If you're looking for a specific product, like fresh blueberries, I suggest calling to make sure they're in stock -- You need to catch them after the shipment has arrived but before they sell out. This weekend they told me that they think the cherry season is over, and won't be getting more cherries, but do check.

Carrefour has had frozen blackberries.

You can also try ordering dried fruits (blueberries, strawberries, cherries, etc.) from a US company