Modeling

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
I was seeing pictures of Dominican Moda week, and I guess NYC has jaded me, but I thought some of the designs were just awful. Anyway, it got me thinking is the modeling business profitable in the DR? I know that there are modeling schools such as Barbizon and John Casablancas, but is operating a modeling agency (not school) profitable? There are tons of great looking women in DR, but being good looking has nothing to do with being a model. Any opinions?

dymmach

Feb 9, 2007
I attempted a similar idea about 2 years ago. Not to successful.

A few problems I encountered:

1. Not enough clients to supply steady work.

2. Convincing the models that your not a sleazy mail order bride company.

3. To many attractive girls to compete with, why pay a model a desent wage when you could easily go to the malls, barrios or any college and find 2 more who are just as beautiful and for half the price!

In the DR everyone has a very atrractive relative, freind or nieghbor who is always willing to help the people they know with advertisement and for free. And they all love to take photos down here.

4. The few potentail clients who could pay wanted racey bikini shots or nude. I didnt want that type of work no matter what the profit.

A funny side note; I tried to hire a secretary for my modeling company and the women who showed up all looked better than my models. That was weird!

Never the less good luck!

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
I attempted a similar idea about 2 years ago. Not to successful.

A few problems I encountered:

1. Not enough clients to supply steady work.

2. Convincing the models that your not a sleazy mail order bride company.

3. To many attractive girls to compete with, why pay a model a desent wage when you could easily go to the malls, barrios or any college and find 2 more who are just as beautiful and for half the price!

In the DR everyone has a very atrractive relative, freind or nieghbor who is always willing to help the people they know with advertisement and for free. And they all love to take photos down here.

4. The few potentail clients who could pay wanted racey bikini shots or nude. I didnt want that type of work no matter what the profit.

A funny side note; I tried to hire a secretary for my modeling company and the women who showed up all looked better than my models. That was weird!

Never the less good luck!

Thanks for the reply. I'm not trying to start a business or anything, I'm just wondering about the environment. As of today I only know about 2 "successful" modeling agencies in DR, and they seem to have a lock on the "market"; both also seem to be relatively new companies. I find it weird that there are many modeling agencies when there are not many fashion designers, shows, or magazines. The few magazines in DR devoted to fashion such as Oh! and Pandora are really society type magazines, and cannot be compared to a GQ, Vogue, or even to the Colombian "Soho", or the Brazilian "Revista Trip". I'm just perplexed as to why there are many schools, and no agencies. I'm guessing thats it not profitable... or thats it relatively new trade and Dominicans don't understand the concept.

dymmach

Feb 9, 2007
Yeah, you pretty much summed it up.

I don't think the DR has the patience and discipline to compete with the larger trendy fashion magazines. They still have'nt grasp the concept of natural beauty.

I bet non of the agencies, or schools will not even except a beautiful darker skin toned model. Thus makeing themselves one demensional.

In Santo domingo I beleive there is a strong sub-culture in fashion that deals with magazines, shows, websites and a few designers out of NewYork.
But that caters to Gay men.