Golf Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILLINIFAN

Aug 23, 2007
Hello everybody,

I need some info on golf in and around Sosua. I'm all booked to come in January and after reading some on here I was looking to play at Playa Dorada and Playa Grande then I read that Playa Grande is going private in 2008. I would like to play at least 2 rounds while I'm there and I don't really want to play the same course more than once. So, does anybody have any suggestions for other courses close by? They must have club rentals since I don't plan to lug my clubs down there with me.

Thanks

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are two more courses relatively close--at least as close as Playa Grande--and much less expensive.

There is Las Aromas in Santiago and Jarabacoa up in the mountains.
Las Aromas is a little known Pete Dye course, short, treacherous and fun to play. Carts and clubs available
Depending on my class schedule at that time, you might even have a local guide...

Jarabacoa is another 35 minutes along the road. It is only 9 holes by Robert Trent Jones, but it is an exciting and beautiful place. They never seem to play the same way twice...
Jarabacoa also has a nice kitchen so the after golf is pleasurable...

Let us know as the time nears...

HB & all the other golfers on this board..

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Playa Dorada does have clubs to rent. I will try to find out when Playa Grande is going private! Maybe they will do it on Dominican time....LOL

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
There are some 5 or 6 regular golfers on the north coast who post here on DR1. If you get in touch nearer the time I am sure transportation to Las Aromas, Playa Grande & even (shudder to that journey into the mountains) HB's favourite JARABACOA!!
If you are playing with me, I have a spare set of clubs - stiff shafts! ~ Grahame.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
drtampa told me Jarabacoa has a second set of tee boxes, sorta making it 18 holes now.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
I was at Playa Grande last week and the back nine is closed, and the front 9 greens are in real bad shape..... the price was 55 bucks and you could play the 9 twice......20 for rentals and 15 for caddy
have fun

ILLINIFAN

Aug 23, 2007
Thanks for the info folks. The courses near Santiago sound nice but I can't seem to find a site for them?????????? I'd be a little leery of venturing any farther than that having never driven in the DR before.
Hey HB and BB, a little local course knowledge would be great. I'll be in touch as the date draws nearer.
As far as the golf clubs comment, I won't even go there. LOL

GO ILLINI

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
The courses near Santiago sound nice but I can't seem to find a site for them??????????

As Bushbaby is at Playa Grande today I'll give you some links :laugh: to keep you going until he gets back. Las Aromas:
In Spanish
Golf Dominicano
In English
Las Aromas Santiago Golf Club - Santiago - Golf Courses in the Dominican Republic - Caribbean
Jarabacoa:
Jarabacoa Golf Club - Quintas de Primavera - Golf Courses in the Dominican Republic - Caribbean

As BB's other half I'm allowed to comment on the shafts AND call him honey. He only squirms when non-familiars do it.............;)

oldislandman

Sep 1, 2002
Being an Illini fan also, a golfer (albeit a high handicaper), and a soon to be resident of the North Shore (POP), you can add me to the list of people you can contact when your plans are made.
" Hail To The Chief" even if it isn't politically correct.

ILLINIFAN

Aug 23, 2007
Being an Illini fan also, a golfer (albeit a high handicaper), and a soon to be resident of the North Shore (POP), you can add me to the list of people you can contact when your plans are made.
" Hail To The Chief" even if it isn't politically correct.

Thanks islandman (I'll leave the old out). I'll be there on the 4th of January and will be sure to post again before then.

Looks like the Illini got a little fight back in their game. 2-1 start for the first time in awhile. Dare I hope for a bowl trip?:nervous:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Thanks islandman (I'll leave the old out). I'll be there on the 4th of January and will be sure to post again before then.

Looks like the Illini got a little fight back in their game. 2-1 start for the first time in awhile. Dare I hope for a bowl trip?:nervous:
Ha!!!!! I'm almost 1/2 his age again & I STILL look 1/2 his age!!! You keep the 'OLD' in there please!:eek:gre:!

Played Playa Grande yesterday with BJClinton & two friends (well they were until they mey me I think!) & we had a GREAT day playing 18 holes for the price of 9 (as stated earlier). Greens were diabolical to putt on but if you played the 2 putt rule, you could score a good round!! Greens should be excellent again in 3 or 4 weeks & then (unfortunately) prices will be back up to full price.

In January, OLDislandman, Hillbilly & I will be at YOUR SERVICE for golf north coast(ish) & maybe a couple of the other renegades who post here (or lurk like a couple I know but won't name YET!!!) might be persuaded out of their armchairs to make a small tourney out of it?? ~ Grahame.

Last edited:

ILLINIFAN

Aug 23, 2007
Ha!!!!! I'm almost 1/2 his age again & I STILL look 1/2 his age!!! You keep the 'OLD' in there please!:eek:gre:!

Played Playa Grande yesterday with BJClinton & two friends (well they were until they mey me I think!) & we had a GREAT day playing 18 holes for the price of 9 (as stated earlier). Greens were diabolical to putt on but if you played the 2 putt rule, you could score a good round!! Greens should be excellent again in 3 or 4 weeks & then (unfortunately) prices will be back up to full price.

In January, OLDislandman, Hillbilly & I will be at YOUR SERVICE for golf north coast(ish) & maybe a couple of the other renegades who post here (or lurk like a couple I know but won't name YET!!!) might be persuaded out of their armchairs to make a small tourney out of it?? ~ Grahame.

Sounds good. I'll be looking forward to it. First rounds on me!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Golf or drinks???

Do not believe all you read about those two courses...without a local guide you will be so lost!!!

See you in January, if you behave...

HB

ILLINIFAN

Aug 23, 2007
Golf or drinks???

Do not believe all you read about those two courses...without a local guide you will be so lost!!!

See you in January, if you behave...

HB

Presidentes of course. Looks like I'll be coming down for a short trip on November 18. I'll be there thru Thanksgiving. I'd like to play a round on Monday and or Tuesday that week. If anybody would like to get together for a round or two let me know. I will be car less and club less so a course close to Sosua and with rental clubs would be necessary.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Neither exists...Costa Azul is in horrible condition last I heard.
Playa Dorada is nice but not all that close.
Best bet is to make friends with BushBaby and con=me down here where we can take care of your golfing needs.
HB

ILLINIFAN

Aug 23, 2007
Neither exists...Costa Azul is in horrible condition last I heard.
Playa Dorada is nice but not all that close.
Best bet is to make friends with BushBaby and con=me down here where we can take care of your golfing needs.
HB

I would really like to try Playa Grande before they go private. If your willing to drive there I'd be happy to cover the driving expenses. I'll contact you as the time draws near or if you PM me I can give you my E-mail.

Are the courses in pretty good shape by the end of November???

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
A spare set of clubs I have. (hope you like a stiff shaft)
A SUV to hold 4 people & their clubs I have.
A love of playing golf I have.
Knowledge of the local courses I have.
Time to visit & play the courses I normally have.

My MAIN problem is I don't have a golf game that supports all of the above. :pirate: :ermm: :pirate:

PM me & we'll work out a schedule for November which will include His Lordship in Santiago! ~ Grahame.

Status
Not open for further replies.