Canadian needs help getting back to Canada

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Hey folks, maybe someone can give my friend some help. (he is computer illiterate so I put the post up)

A good friend of mine has been here since 1989. He moved here with his father and then step mom. She passed away in 1991 and his father married a Dominican lady. In 1994 they had a house fire and he lost all his id (passport, birth certificate). His brother moved here in 1999 and passed away in a motorcycle accident in 2005. His father recently passed away this year. Now he wants to go back to Canada and live with the rest of his family.
Problem.
The Canadian consulate in Santo Domingo will not give him a passport as he has no proper id.....he recently obtained his birth certificate from Canada and used this as his id. Unfortunately he has no picture id. His sister and mother in Canada have contacted the Minister of Foreign affairs and they have looked into the problem. They have answered back that it is up the the consulate in Santo Domingo to issue a passport. With no picture id he has no chance to get the passport, and no way of obtaining any picture id.

If anyone out there can help with obtaining picture id, or can help in any way he would appreciate this. Does anyone have the name of the person in Puerta Plata as my friend lives in Cabarete.
Let me know, and if you need anymore info just ask and I will try to fill you in.
Thanks in advance

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hey folks, maybe someone can give my friend some help. (he is computer illiterate so I put the post up)

A good friend of mine has been here since 1989. He moved here with his father and then step mom. She passed away in 1991 and his father married a Dominican lady. In 1994 they had a house fire and he lost all his id (passport, birth certificate). His brother moved here in 1999 and passed away in a motorcycle accident in 2005. His father recently passed away this year. Now he wants to go back to Canada and live with the rest of his family.
Problem.
The Canadian consulate in Santo Domingo will not give him a passport as he has no proper id.....he recently obtained his birth certificate from Canada and used this as his id. Unfortunately he has no picture id. His sister and mother in Canada have contacted the Minister of Foreign affairs and they have looked into the problem. They have answered back that it is up the the consulate in Santo Domingo to issue a passport. With no picture id he has no chance to get the passport, and no way of obtaining any picture id.

If anyone out there can help with obtaining picture id, or can help in any way he would appreciate this. Does anyone have the name of the person in Puerta Plata as my friend lives in Cabarete.
Let me know, and if you need anymore info just ask and I will try to fill you in.
Thanks in advance
The consulate in Santo Domingo does not issue passports, unless the system has changed recently.
They go through Santo Domingo before going to Canada, but they are issued in Canada.
If this has changed, someone please advise.
If not, someone is feeding your friend BS.

Tim Hall is the man in charge in the POP office, but I don't have his number.
They are located in the same building as the US embassy, if that helps.

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
Just a question, if he has been here so long I would assume he had a residency and was legal here, if so there should be no problem getting a new Cedula or residency printed with a police statement that his was lost or stolen and then he would have a picture ID.

Tell me if I'm wrong.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Does he have a Dominican driver's license and like webmacon said a cedula?

Here's the info on the consulate in POP

<TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>Consulate of Canada </TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>Address: Calle Villanueva No 8, Edificio Abraxas, Puerto Plata </TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>Tel.: (809) 586-5761 </TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>Fax: (809) 586-5762 </TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>E-Mail: canada.pop@gmail.com

More info here Returning to Canada - Consular Affairs Bureau Web site - Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Sorry for not mentioning this, he has been here since 89 illegally. If he had a cedula, this would be no problem, and he doesn't drive so no drivers license. No bank account.
Is he between a rock and a hard place.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
doesn't need photo ID.........

What he needs is his birth certificate, passport photos, a passport application (his mother can send him one- I believe it's a specific one for out of country applications-sent one to my son in the states a few years back), an extra passport photo with a sworn, notarized statement by his mother attesting that this is a true photo of her son, the required guarantors and required signatory.

Also the current fee!!! :)

Last edited:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Ok...update

Passport forms can be downloaded online
Passport Canada: Applying for a passport

then follow the directions given.
Contact links are provided if help needed.

Applying for a passport
Documents to support identity
At least ONE document to support your identity and the name to appear in the passport must be submitted with your application form. Further documentation may be required. For a child, only the proof of Canadian citizenship is required.

Documentation to support your identity must be issued by a federal, provincial, municipal authority or local equivalent in the country you are residing. It must also be valid and must include the bearer's name and signature. For example:

Provincial driver's licence
Provincial health care card
Other provincial identification card
Federal, provincial or municipal employee identification card
Certificate of Indian Status
Old Age Security card
Other federal identification card
Federal, provincial or municipal employee identification card
Canadian passport1

Last edited:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
hammerdown, get your friend to talk to Tim Hall, Hon Consul in PP. If issue of passport really is impossible then it might be worth considering deportation, with all the risks involved. Alternatively if he could get into Haiti, would he have a better chance with Canadian Embassy there?

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Hey thanks for the replies, will go with him to PP and talk to Tim Hall, and go from there.

KaliEyes

May 1, 2008
Update Please

Hey thanks for the replies, will go with him to PP and talk to Tim Hall, and go from there.

What ever happened with this situation?

It's great to get exposure to these dilemmas, however, if the thread is not updated, people are left wondering what happened.

Please, fill us all in!

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
hey sorry for not updating you guys, but the guy finally made it back to canada......with some help from his mothers friends (MP?s) in canada, so they finally gave him an emergency passport and he flew out on april 21.....thanks for all the info and help
hammerdown

KaliEyes

May 1, 2008
Thanks for the update hammerdown....this ending will help others have hope that there are possibilities even when things were looking impossible before!

Thanks for the response to my request!

Feb 7, 2007
One important point out of this to remember:

Keep the copy of your documents online (not that difficult to do) - in encrypted and protected file (to avoid id theft), uplaoded. That makes access to it easy, anywhere. Also make sure your family abroad has copies of your ID. Usually that is acceptable for the embassy (at least European) as the start point to begin issuing new ID.