Costs on transporting deceased to the DR.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Hi everyone, this is something many of us don't like talking about, dying. We have been forced to think about this situation. My father has had a few strokes in the past 2 years and is living in the US, we would love to buried him in the DR when his time comes BUT I've heard this process is kinda pricy. I would appreciate any info you might have about it. Thanks.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Hi everyone, this is something many of us don't like talking about, dying. We have been forced to think about this situation. My father has had a few strokes in the past 2 years and is living in the US, we would love to buried him in the DR when his time comes BUT I've heard this process is kinda pricy. I would appreciate any info you might have about it. Thanks.

Yes it is pricy to transport a body. Have you taught about cremation?

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Not only pricey I know some one that transported his wife and child to the DR and heard stories of grave robberies then transported them back to New York. Sorry can not give you a price. I don't want to open old wounds from my friend. I bet if you called AA or Delta they would give you a price.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Yes it is pricy to transport a body. Have you taught about cremation?

no not cremation that would be the last resort its not our custom. thanks.

jruane: If I transport my father to the DR he is burried in the Campo so there's not a problem with robbery.

kdeer

Mar 28, 2006
My father and I just had this conversation. I know the countries are different (he lives in Italy and wants to go back to the UK when his time comes) but he did some research. He was told as long as the body is accompanied by someone he would go as excess baggage with the maximum cost being about $275 US dollars...cost is based on a per kilo price (sounds terrible doesn't it). I also know that from here in Canada Air Canada is about the same. Not sure if this helps at all.

cuas

May 29, 2006
When my grandmother was on the last stages of cancer, the doctor told us take her where you want to bury her. That is what we did.
Another good thing is Protectora La Altagracia.

One of my uncles was a borrachon and always depending on his brother to mojarle la mano and to cover his funeral expenses but his brother died before him. When to borrachon died I was surprise that he had everything covered. The wife told me they signed up with Protectora La Altagracia reluctant because to be eligible he cannot die before the six month. He lasted more than 6 months.

You can also contact funeral houses and ask them for a quote because when the day comes you do not have time to shop around. It becomes an emergency.