Crime rates

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
I live in Costa Azul, and at the moment I think I would rather live in El Tablon....Ok, that was exagerating a little. The amount of break ins we are getting is above and beyond the norm. In the last 3 days four houses have been broken into, one family even being tied up before the thieves emptied their house of all their expensive personal items. Costa Azul is one now one of the most dangerous places in the Cabarete Sosua area, and I would advise everybody to stay clear of this area. There are many other places that are much safer than this residence. Costa Azul is basicaly an abandoned project by Century 21, and it could have had huge potential as a nice secure residence if it was done right in the first place. I have a lot of respect for the Perdomo family, and it is a shame that they did not continue with this project. Of course it is my choice to live here, knowing the the barrio is just behind, and I am not whining about it, but obviously I am very concerned with all the beak ins. The police, as we all know, do absolutely nothing about it, unless of course they get a big pay off,and the government show no interest in helping the foreign residents that live here. After all, the government are too busy corrupting their own goverment. I am sure that many of you have read the reports about how much senators and other officials are getting paid....also signing in for meetings but never even turning up for them just to get paid 2,400 RD....so how can we rely on a government like this. This country needs the foreign investment, but they are not willing to protect those that are willing to invest here. It is too bad, as the D.R. is a very beautiful country, and full of extremely nice people. I think that we can all agree that the Dominicans are very easy to get on with, very friendly, the vast majority of them being very helpful and also some of the most hospitable people I have ever met. It is very common that a Dominican, who virtually has no money to live on, will invite you into their home, serve you dinner, coffee, rum or whatever, even if you are a stranger. Of course, there are people that are looking out for themselves and by be-friending a gringo, could eventually be their meal ticket, but they are not all like that, and even fewer are out there to rob you. But the fact is that crime is on the up....even though, fortunately, crime causing bodily harm is lower than before. But we cannot stand by, and neither should the Dominicans, and let the robbery crime rate increase. We all want to live here, but unfortunately several families are leaving this beautiful country due to the minority of idiots that see it fit to violate other peoples private lives.
As foreigners investing in this country, it is high time that somehow and someway, we made our voice heard to the goverment officials.....Afterall, where would the employment rates be without the help of foreign investment? Of course, they would survive without the foreigners, they have done in the past, and could possibly do so in the future. But foreign investment is helping to balance, well, maybe that is not the correct word with all the corruption in the government, the economy.
It would also help if the foreigners would agree to pay a little more to their staff. I doubt that this would happen, but when you think that the minimum wage of more or less 5500 RD is what most foreigners would earn in one day or less in their own country, it makes you think. The more we pay the Dominicans, the more public spending there would be. But of course that should not just be our responsibility, it should also, and mainly be from Dominican employers, but we know that that will never happen. It is time to set an example to others. No doubt a lot of you are saying, yeah right, pay more, why should I? But on average the Dominicans work harder, if they are supervised, (lol), than the majority of foreigners would in their own country. We also have a lot more benefits in our own country including health care, pensions etc....what do they have? Nada!
It will probably never come to the day when the govenment and the foreign investors will help out the Dominicans, but it would be nice to see that one day there would be a silver lining. Especially when foreign investors do get screwed by politicians, law officials, and Dominicans alike.
So anyway, to help lower the crime rates, things could be done by us...whether we want to do it is an entriely differnet thing.
It will take years for this country to change, if it ever does, but just imagine what life could be for everybody. We all moved here thinking that this is our little slice of paradise, but for a lot of people it has not worked out, but just think of the potential

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
On my side of the woods (Las Terrenas), things seem to get better... I would say that crime has gone much down... But I don't have any official numbers...

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Done.
See the decreasing figures there:
El Nacional, la voz de todos

Janin

I have already seen this report, and it is true about what is happening in Santiago....they are having fantstic results. Now they need to concentrate on the north coast, where, as a tourism area, there are continuing problems. To protect the increasing toursim he on the north, the same measures they are using in Santiago and other areas need to be applied here.