Living in Sosua

Zara

Sep 9, 2007
I have been looking on the internet as houses and apartments for sale in Sosua, they all seem to range from millions of pounds to a few thousand, and the ones that are a few thousand seem just as nice as the more expensive ones. All i am looking for is a nice little apartment or house, 2 bedroomed maybe with a pool! How much on average would you say i could get something like that for? I'm confuse with all the different price range on the internet real estate websites!!!

bart6

Aug 17, 2007
you can get a basic little something for $120k or go way up from there, you must come down because every neighborhood is different and advertised prices differ from actual prices.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I have been looking on the internet as houses and apartments for sale in Sosua, they all seem to range from millions of pounds to a few thousand, and the ones that are a few thousand seem just as nice as the more expensive ones. All i am looking for is a nice little apartment or house, 2 bedroomed maybe with a pool! How much on average would you say i could get something like that for? I'm confuse with all the different price range on the internet real estate websites!!!
I'd love to know where you found houses in Sosua for a few thousand pounds.
I'll take a dozen please.

Zara

Sep 9, 2007
on a dominican republic real estate website. there was a 2 bedroom apartment up for $28000, thats not a lot!!! its only ?13000, my car cost me that!!!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
on a dominican republic real estate website. there was a 2 bedroom apartment up for $28000, thats not a lot!!! its only ?13000, my car cost me that!!!
My Bad.
I thought you meant houses, and I interpreted a few to mean 3 or 4.
Generally a 2 bed apartment for $28K US is either a total mess or a scam, or in a really bad area, or a combination off the above.
A decent 2 bed condo in a decent complex would be closer to the $100K US mark.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006

You paid ?13K for a car? but have a prob with $28K for an apartment?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I think that comparing on-line listings may be a good way to have a certain feel about properties, property styles and some prices. However, it is yet a far shot from understanding the price structures here. Locations may have a great influence on prices and not just by proximity to the see or not but because of comfort, services available or not, the immediate and sometimes not soooo immediate neighborhoods and issues like contamination of all sorts and foremost flooding history.
Even relatively short visits may not tell the whole story.
Additionally, here, almost everything is 4 Sale... at least posted. Many of these "listing" are kites flying very high. Brokers play along with it. Actually they will try to get listings any which way and owners who don't really seek to sell are sometimes taken by the suggestion of listing their property anyway, just at an exorbitantly high price... this in turn fools those who really want or need to sell to base their asking price first on those prices... until they realize that time pases and no sale. So then, you start seeing properties with their prices being slashed quite drastically.
In other words, it is very very difficult to get the right feel for what is a good buy and what is not. I good and honest buyer-agent should be of help, but I fear, that's the kind of guy most every agent around will want to make you believe he is, while he most likely is not.

... J-D.

N

naturelover

there are a lot of properties listed with some estate agents that were actually sold years ago.......

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Zara,

Lots of good advice on this thread. My .02 - rent for at least a year, get to know the area and the market, and only then, if you are certain (because it takes a while to unload a property out here), consider buying.

Try not to rush into anything....

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Zara,

Lots of good advice on this thread. My .02 - rent for at least a year, get to know the area and the market, and only then, if you are certain (because it takes a while to unload a property out here), consider buying.

Try not to rush into anything....

Do you really think she is going to listen to your advice ??

Zara

Sep 9, 2007
Thanks for all the advice. i don't think i will buy out there now, probably a really bad idea! i think i may rent for a few years! Does any one know if it is possible to pay like 2 years rent up front? People have told me you can but considering you all live in the DR you will probably know a whole lot more??

La Mariposa, you have given me negative posts on 3 threads, and to be quite honest i'm an sick and tired of you. Do you have some sort of problem with me, what have i ever done to you? or are you just here to get on people's nerves!!! i am simply asking these people for advice on house buying for crying out loud!!!

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Thanks for all the advice. i don't think i will buy out there now, probably a really bad idea! i think i may rent for a few years! Does any one know if it is possible to pay like 2 years rent up front? People have told me you can but considering you all live in the DR you will probably know a whole lot more??

La Mariposa, you have given me negative posts on 3 threads, and to be quite honest i'm an sick and tired of you. Do you have some sort of problem with me, what have i ever done to you? or are you just here to get on people's nerves!!! i am simply asking these people for advice on house buying for crying out loud!!!

Its not my business but why on G-ds green earth would you pay 2 yrs rent up front and let someone else sit/run with your $$$?:ermm:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thanks for all the advice. i don't think i will buy out there now, probably a really bad idea! i think i may rent for a few years! Does any one know if it is possible to pay like 2 years rent up front? People have told me you can
You certainly can pay that far ahead. but you would have to first be sure you like the place, and there should be some financial advantage, for you to pay that much up front, ie: a discount.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I dont disagree with you Rocky in the event of there being a financial incentive but it would have to be pretty "out of this world" to give someone that upfront! Just my opinion;)

Zara

Sep 9, 2007
I was just thinking if i decided to give it 2 years, well 1 year being realistic!!! i would rather pay it up front then i know i don't have the expense of paying my rent every month, if you know what i mean? You lot don't have place's you rent out do you? haha, nothing like a bit of cheek!!!

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
I think it is a bad idea wether it is for two years, 1 year or six month. Better to pay monthly, so that no one can come up w/ a "domingo siete" to you.

Pero bueno, cada loco con su cuento como dice el dicho.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I think it is a bad idea wether it is for two years, 1 year or six month. Better to pay monthly, so that no one can come up w/ a "domingo siete" to you.

Pero bueno, cada loco con su cuento como dice el dicho.

Maybe she is very commited ;)