6 months in the sun

karen.s

Sep 12, 2007
hi everyone,ive been reading this forum since oct 05 but never posted untill now,so hopefully you can point me in the right direction?
i would like to come out and spend 6 months in the dr from jan 08 in pop or sousa area. I will be bringing along my partner,my mother and 10 yr old son
. we will need acomadation,i will need a school for my son,info on health care for my mother,and any other info that you guys and gals out there can help me with, i would be very greatful for any tips and pointers you have...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Six m onths....hummmm.
School will have to be one of the bi-lingual places or perhaps the International School there in Sos?a.
As far as health care for your Mom, I would suggest you tell us (either here or via PM) just what her ailments are so we can point you in the right direction.
Medical care on the North Shore is spotty at best, since most people will come to Santiago or Go to Santo Domingo for anything really important.
As far as accommodations, you'll have to wait until those good folks up there can chime in with their favorite spots...I think that there are some aparta-hotels in Puerto Plata that might fit your bill, but you'll need to talk to them folks up north...

HB

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I think that you need to come down here at least one week before to make all the arrangements.
If you try to do this all on the net, it's a recipe for disaster.
Seeing's believing.

karen.s

Sep 12, 2007
my mother is diabetic and insulin dependant,which is well controlled that she doesnt go hypo ,i will bring all meds with us when we come, but i have to look at if she did take a turn for the worst.ive used to hospital in pop before and i belive there is a diabetic clinic in pop?
one of my concerns is health insurance do i buy it fromthe uk or dr ?

I have a week of work in october and maybe i should come out for a goodlook round,i have a freind who lives across the road from playa dorada whois helping me as much as she can, i was hoping to find accomadation on line to save money as a week ai for two from uk is around ?600+ each which i would rather use for rent,but if it is not wise to do things this when then i will take your advice.

any tips on what type of acomadation we should go for to begin with?

Feb 7, 2007
One thing you should need about health insurance in the DR (as opposed to state and private/public systems in Europe) that it does not cover pre-existing conditions, so your mother's diabetes and corresponding meds would not be covered.

Travel insurance will most likely not cover pre-existing conditions either, so you need to consult UK health system to see if they would reimburse you for meds bought in the DR or purchase the meds in the UK and ship them to the DR.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
hi everyone,ive been reading this forum since oct 05 but never posted untill now,so hopefully you can point me in the right direction?
i would like to come out and spend 6 months in the dr from jan 08 in pop or sousa area. I will be bringing along my partner,my mother and 10 yr old son
. we will need acomadation,i will need a school for my son,info on health care for my mother,and any other info that you guys and gals out there can help me with, i would be very greatful for any tips and pointers you have...

Why 6 months?

I would suggest you take a look at Las Ca?as in Sosua for your rented accommodation. Use the direct contact info or call Judy on 809-571-1994.
It is not far from the main town and just up the road from the International School. Your son would "lurve" the enormous swimming pool there.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Why 6 months?

I would suggest you take a look at Las Ca?as in Sosua for your rented accommodation. Use the direct contact info or call Judy on 809-571-1994.
It is not far from the main town and just up the road from the International School. Your son would "lurve" the enormous swimming pool there.
That might be a great idea for these folks.
The kid would be within walking distance to the school, and Las Ca?as has a great rep.

Las Ca?as, Dominican Republic

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I'm curious as to where Las Canas (and La Mulata in general) is from Sosua. I know it's about a mile from Playero, but is it down the road towards Cabarete or PP? Is it near casa linda?

Thanks.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I'm curious as to where Las Canas (and La Mulata in general) is from Sosua. I know it's about a mile from Playero, but is it down the road towards Cabarete or PP? Is it near casa linda?

Thanks.
The entrance to La Mulata or Las Ca?as is 2/3 the distance from Playero to Casa Linda,.
It's a southbound turn, parallel with the last entrance into El Batey, at it's Easterly end.

mapMulata.jpg

karen.s

Sep 12, 2007
why 6 months

That might be a great idea for these folks.
The kid would be within walking distance to the school, and Las Ca?as has a great rep.

Las Ca?as, Dominican Republic

i want to come for 6 months to begin with,as a family we have had almost 3 years of hell,and need some time out to de stress and get away from the horrible enviroment we are living in , in manchester uk.
and the dr is where i want to be ,if all goes well we may decide to stay for longer or even for good,i love the dominican way of life and would like to experience it for more than just a holiday...

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
i want to come for 6 months to begin with,as a family we have had almost 3 years of hell,and need some time out to de stress and get away from the horrible enviroment we are living in , in manchester uk.
and the dr is where i want to be ,if all goes well we may decide to stay for longer or even for good,i love the dominican way of life and would like to experience it for more than just a holiday...
And that seems like an excellent plan.
It just so happens that 6 months trial period is what is mostly recommended to newbies, so your plan is spot on.
Do come down first to make the best arrangements possible, and you'll increase your chances of being happy here.