hotmail email address

W

Wanda

I am moving to Sosua soon and was wondering if I have a hotmail email address here in the states is there any problem keeping that there? I know Codetel is the internet provider but I would like to keep my hotmail address. Any suggestions? thank you

S

Sarah

You can use your hotmail address from anywhere in the world, as far as I know.

M

Mary Kohn

I got my yahoo e-mail in the US and still use it in Japan with no problems. I'm sure hotmail works the same.

L

Lyse

I have a hotmail address in Canada and use it when I am in the D.R.

J

Jim Hinsch

An E-mail account provided by an Internet Service Provider is like a telephone number. It doesn't matter where you are, you can always call it.

With the exception of AOL, 90% of the E-mail provided by Internet Service Providers is POP3 compliant. Any POP3 compliant E-mail account, as well has HOTMAIL, Yahoo Mail, etc. can be accessed from any place in the world that has internet access.

To access your POP3 complian E-mail account, you just need to know the name of your mail server, your user id, and password. You don't need to drop your regular E-mail account.

To access your mail, you need a POP3 compliant E-mail program. Hotmail and Yahoo both provide this service via the browser, in that you just fill in the name of your E-mail server, user id, and password, and you can read your E-mail from your existing POP3 account.

Outlook which come with Windows, and Outlook Express which comes with MS Office, are both good POP3 compliant mail readers. Either can be configured in about 60 seconds to let you receive your mail from your existing POP3 account, and one or the other of these programs exist on most computers.

Note that for sending mail, you'll have to use something like Yahoo or Hotmail or one of the other hundreds of free E-mail accounts accessible via a browser because most ISP's don't let you SEND e-mail through their mail servers unless you also accessing the internet through them at that moment.

I suggest you spend some time learning how to do this and exploring your options before you leave so you'll be ready to access your mail from any computer in the world that has internet access. Hotmail is good, but sometimes it isn't practical to contact everybody you know and to tell them that your E-mail address is now a Hotmail account, and hope that they remember.

Jim Hinsch
JimHinsch@CSI.COM

W

Wanda

Thanks to all for the responses. Sounds like from this board my primary problem will be getting Codetel to connect my phone line. Anybody know somebody in Sosua that can help me get that done quicker??? thanks again

B

Blanquita

Hotmail is a web based email. As long as you have access to the internet you have access to your hotmail account.

N

Nicolette

pb is new line, not the internet connection

The problem here is to get a new line (availability problem), but in Sosua this might not be a problem. To get an internet connection, just call Codetel, they will send a company that will do the installation. I had all my connections within 3 days.

J

Jim Hinsch

Re: pb is new line, not the internet connection

If you can follow the instructions, you can have an internet connection with codetel in minutes. No visit is needed.

D

Dummy

Re: pb is new line, not the internet connection

... if not some of the experts of Codetel mess up your application! It took me ten days of calling at least three times a day, until I insisted in talking to the supervisor, who resolved the mess in 30 minutes.