U.S. Citizen Kidnapped?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Could we possible get a picture of her if someone actuall knows the family? If she really looks like a gringa it will be helpful.

Also, I have a friend who is a PI that has contacts throughout the island that could be helpful.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
El Nacional, la voz de todos

El Nacional newspaper says the name of the person is Nita Sue Rash, wife of David Rash. That the kidnappers are asking for US$1 million.

About a year or two ago, the Police became so efficient solving kidnappings and rescuing the person without having to pay the ransome that these stopped making headlines. The perception we all had was that there would be no lenience with kidnappers. Let us hope the Police will again be efficient solving this one.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I hope this comes to a swift safe ending.

Off topic; What's with the newspapers who seem totally incapable of ever getting a person's name straight?
One report calls her Susan Reid, the other Nita Sue Rash.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I hope this comes to a swift safe ending.

Off topic; What's with the newspapers who seem totally incapable of ever getting a person's name straight?
One report calls her Susan Reid, the other Nita Sue Rash.

Not really a surprise to me, you'll be dismayed to know that most Dominicans think my name is "Marco" because of their inability to distinguish phonetically between that and "Michael".

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Not really a surprise to me, you'll be dismayed to know that most Dominicans think my name is "Marco" because of their inability to distinguish phonetically between that and "Michael".
And I have the reverse problem.
Still, you would think that a newspaper reporter could ask for the written name and copy it properly.
It's not as if we're writing with a different alphabet.

To get back on track...
Does anyone know if these people were millionaire.
That's a pretty hefty ransom demand.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Fortunately, thieves and criminals are basically stupid, and in the DR is no exceptions. Apparently the dunderhead kidnappers used the womesn's cell phone to call her husband and make the ransom demand! That will immediately limit the possible calls to a specific tower. Let's just hope they contunue to make the same idiotic mistake.

memphisj

Jul 17, 2007
Horrible news! Is this an indication of the level of danger to U.S. citizens visiting Las Galeras? That is where I'm headed in December.
I heard that Las Galeras, and surrounding areas, aren't as safe as they used to be.

I hope they find her, and so sorry for her family.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I'm confident this one will get solved quickly. The Dominican police are actually very efficient when they feel like. A high profile case like this (tourist) will get all kinds of attention. Let's just hope she's found unharmed.

BTW (not saying this is the case with this lady), but most kidnappings that occur in The DR are not random, but drug and debt related.

This is one of those crimes that cannot be allowed to prosper as it creates a ripple effect of paranoia throughout society. All you have to do is look at Mexico, where everyone is so paranoid of being kidnapped that people don't buy nice cars even when they can afford it for fear that people think they have some money.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Kidnappings are a daily occurrence in alot of central and south american countries.

Hopefully this will not catch on in the DR.

If anyone is interested at all in this there are two films that deal extensively with this topic.

One is fictional-"Man on Fire" with Denzel Washington, filmed entirely in Mexico City. Very interesting because it illustrates the kidnapping phenomena from all sides-the victims, the cops and the kidnappers.

Also the documentary "Manda Bala"("Send a Bullet") that shows the correlation between government corruption, crime and a civilian self-defense industry that revolves around bullet-proof cars and helicopter taxis.

The movie focuses on the permanent lower class living practically side by side with the super-wealthy in Sao Palo Brazil and how the forces of poverty and corruption collide to create a virtual cottage industry of crime, corruption and kidnapping.

I really hope the DR is not heading in this direction, but I've always felt that the seeds are definitely there for this to become a worsening problem.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com

The only thing in this article that is factual is that Susan was kidnapped. In regards people arrested, when this sort of thing happens, the Dominican police arrest EVERYBODY in the hopes they can coerce someone to talk. They were even going to arrest a female foreign resident of Las Galeras who went to the police station in Samana Saturday morning. Mrs. Rash was grabbed FRIDAY evening while returning home after having dinner with her in downtown Las Galeras and not Saturday as reported. This lady got a call from her husband in Europe because he had just gotten a strange call in Spanish and she was concerned enough to report it. It was only because of intervention by an American embassy member who was at the station that she wasn't jailed on the spot.

The grey pickup that the gunmen supposedly fled in is HER Izuzu pickup and it was discovered abandoned in the Las Galeras area yesterday morning. NOBODY saw them in the truck with or without her. The truck was dusted for fingerprints and is currently sitting across from the LG police station.

I understand that in addition to the people already being held in Samana (including at least one of her employees), another group of people was detained and taken to Samana today. It is thought there are 4 people involved but nothing is sure as of yet. Search efforts are ongoing in the Las Galeras area as several cel phone calls from the kidnappers have been traced to this area and it is thought she is nearby.

FLASH- As I was typing this I just got a call that she was found alive just a short while ago in a cave out on Cape Samana near Boca Diablo and is now at the hospital in Samana.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Hopefully she is not physically harmed and may she find the strength to deal with the emotional scars brought on by such a terrifying experience.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
The only thing in this article that is factual is that Susan was kidnapped.
It is such a pity that the English speaking newspaper read so much by Ex-Pats does tend to print what the journalist 'THINKS' is the truth without checking first the authenticity of the information given to them. One hopes this trend changes fairly quickly & information printed becomes the result of good, investigative journalism rather then easily obtained 'gossip'.

FLASH- As I was typing this I just got a call that she was found alive just a short while ago in a cave out on Cape Samana near Boca Diablo and is now at the hospital in Samana.
EXCELLENT news Andy.
Please pass on whatever information you can (& as soon as you can) as to what caused the successful outcome to this kidnapped lady being 'Found & released' as the formula used might be instrumental in future successes if these kidnappings continue. I most of us who know your style, trust you to pass on the correct sequence of events leading to her being found rather than the information the police might put out & the consequent 'REPORT' in Dominican Today. ~ Grahame.

Status
Not open for further replies.