Map of Santiago, Satellite Radio, Continental Airfares

Margery

Aug 1, 2007
I will be re-locating to Santiago in mid October from New Jersey. Just so you know, Continental Airlines is offering GREAT rates for non-stop flights to Santiago. (from Newark, NJ) I paid $139 complete! Check it out!

This forum has been SO helpful! I have learned so much from reading this forum. Many thanks to you all!

I have a few questions: I am having difficulty getting a city map that outlines the areas in Santiago. My fiance is from Santiago but has been gone for a while and cannot believe HOW much the city has changed since he lived here. Does any one have a link? I would like to check out the areas from what I have learned from you reading from this forum. We are looking for a rental in Las Colinas, La Zurla, Los Jardinos areas. My fiance has contacted Olima real estate. The Gurabos areas are pricey from what he has seen. I read the forum on what areas are the nicest. What do you know of Las Muletas? (am I spelling this correctly?)

Also, I am in the process of packing, donating or discarding our "stuff". My fiance has a Sirius Satelite car and Plug N Play "boombox". Question: Is satellite radio a big thing there? Will it be useful there?

Also, 1 last question. I am now studying Spanish. Would you know if there are "night school" classes much like in the States that offer ESL ("English as Second Language")--in my case, Spanish as a second language, with out having to go to the University? I took two semesters Spanish in college, but I definitely need to know more!

Thanks!!!!!!:cheeky:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are plenty of places to learn Spanish in a formal setting. That, plus the fact that everything around you will be in Spanish will be a crash course in the language.
You had better be prepared for what is called Culture Shock. It is quite normal, but it can take a lot out of you. Just be patient. use this board for your questions.

Get Google Earth, and punch in Santiago DR.... You can see pretty much the whole city ...

If you need specific help with the language classes just PM me for some pointers.

HB

joseinoa

Jan 20, 2005
email me

just email me i have a really good map of santiago maybe the very best one.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
My guess is he has it stored in his documents on his computer and can send as an attachment to an email address, but doesn't have it on photobucket or somesuch and therefore cannot insert as an image into a post. I've asked people to do the same when they want a map which I have in my documents.

Welcome to the DR Margery.

EMTuKnowMe

Nov 15, 2006
taxes?

I will be re-locating to Santiago in mid October from New Jersey. Just so you know, Continental Airlines is offering GREAT rates for non-stop flights to Santiago. (from Newark, NJ) I paid $139 complete! Check it out!

This forum has been SO helpful! I have learned so much from reading this forum. Many thanks to you all!

I have a few questions: I am having difficulty getting a city map that outlines the areas in Santiago. My fiance is from Santiago but has been gone for a while and cannot believe HOW much the city has changed since he lived here. Does any one have a link? I would like to check out the areas from what I have learned from you reading from this forum. We are looking for a rental in Las Colinas, La Zurla, Los Jardinos areas. My fiance has contacted Olima real estate. The Gurabos areas are pricey from what he has seen. I read the forum on what areas are the nicest. What do you know of Las Muletas? (am I spelling this correctly?)

Also, I am in the process of packing, donating or discarding our "stuff". My fiance has a Sirius Satelite car and Plug N Play "boombox". Question: Is satellite radio a big thing there? Will it be useful there?

Also, 1 last question. I am now studying Spanish. Would you know if there are "night school" classes much like in the States that offer ESL ("English as Second Language")--in my case, Spanish as a second language, with out having to go to the University? I took two semesters Spanish in college, but I definitely need to know more!

Thanks!!!!!!:cheeky:

I guess when you say the fare is "complete" that means without taxes? you forgot to add about 127 tax dollars onto the fare, plus other charges, which bring the ticket up into the 300's. Did you actually purchase the ticket? if so, what was the final price you paid?

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Sirius works fine as long as you got a direct cable connection to your stereo and not listen to it via the radio/tuner through a preset frequency. For some reason I cannot find a single open frequency to set my car radio on, which does not have interference from other radio stations.

Margery

Aug 1, 2007
Continental Airfare

I guess when you say the fare is "complete" that means without taxes? you forgot to add about 127 tax dollars onto the fare, plus other charges, which bring the ticket up into the 300's. Did you actually purchase the ticket? if so, what was the final price you paid?

The one way ticket from Newark, NJ non-stop to Santiago was $89 plus taxes came to a total of $139! Check out there fares--they have recently reduced many of there fares. I'm not sure if its because of the time of year, after summer but this is what I paid complete. I found it on Orbitz.com
and then called Continental to book directly. It was about $13 cheaper without Orbitz.com!

Margery

Aug 1, 2007
There are plenty of places to learn Spanish in a formal setting. That, plus the fact that everything around you will be in Spanish will be a crash course in the language.
You had better be prepared for what is called Culture Shock. It is quite normal, but it can take a lot out of you. Just be patient. use this board for your questions.

Get Google Earth, and punch in Santiago DR.... You can see pretty much the whole city ...

If you need specific help with the language classes just PM me for some pointers.

HB

HB,

Thanks SO much! I am getting ready for Culture Shock indeed! To prepare me for my new environment, my fiance speaks RAPIDLY and states I need to learn all the "off color" words first!