Santo Domingo or Jarabacoa/La Vega to Santo Cerro

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
On planning some of the sites I want to show my viking, I want to take him to Jarabacoa and La Vega (for the carnival), as well as Santo Cerro.

I don't drive (but he does, although I don't know if he dares drive down there hehe), so what's the best way to go to Santo Cerro? We still don't know if we're going to the carnival and Santo Cerro first and then Jarabacoa or the other way around. (I do know Caribe Tours have a route SD-Jarabacoa and SD-La Vega and the other way around, and I've only visited Jarabacoa and Santo Cerro as part of my Catholic school field trips.)

Any and all tips are welcome, and thanks in advance.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Probably the easiest directions would be to just go up the highway towards Santiago.
After you pass the Jarabacoa intersection, the road goes slightly uphill, takes a big bend to the right (coming from either Santo Domingo or La Vega or Jarabacoa). There are a bunch of small stands that sell fruits and cold coconuts on both sides of the road.
the road then goes uphill again, with a slight bend to the left.
As the road tops out and starts down hill, stay to the right, and take the first turnoff to the right. I think there are signs there but it is the first paved turnoff to the right.
If you go too far downhill you will come to Burende. Turn around and go back uphill...

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Not that I know of. Probably from the park in La Vega you could ask if there are guaguas to Santo Cerro. You can hire a taxi from any of the places you will be visiting (La Vaga or Jarabacoa.)
You can take a guagua down from Jarabacoa, and at the crossroads you can ask about a bus (guagua) to Santo Cerro. Probably a taxi would be your best bet.

HB