Golf Tournament!

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Anyone interested in a gold tournament at Playa Dorada Golf - unfortunately it is short notice! Starts Saturday September 22, must have a handicap to enter. (no I don't mean your clubs!)

Entry $2,000RD, guarantees 2 games and pays for 3 if you make the cut. Winner and second place receive a share of the pot and the balance goes to charity. Also includes 2 buffet lunches!

This is open to locals, ex pats, tourists etc..... Contact me prior to Thursday Sept 20 at 4 pm for more info!

I will have advance notice in the future of upcoming tournaments.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Unless I have misread what you have written here, I take it that this will be 18 holes per round? If so I think it would be helpful to those thinking about joining in on this, to know :
1) what additional days have been assigned for 2nd & 3rd rounds.
2) what format is going to be used for scoring
3) does the 'H/cap' to be GHIN, local or PGA recognised? (i.e. does it have to be a WRITTEN & PROVABLE H/cap?)
4) who is sponsoring/organising the competition
5) Time of start each day?
6) which 'Charities' are going to be beneficiaries of the 'balance'?

I assume caddy (RD $400 + good tip) & buggy fees (RD $750) are additional to the RD $2,000 entry fees, but are there any other fees due (like GREEN fees)? ~ Grahame.

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
Anyone interested in a gold tournament at Playa Dorada Golf - unfortunately it is short notice! Starts Saturday September 22, must have a handicap to enter. (no I don't mean your clubs!)

Entry $2,000RD, guarantees 2 games and pays for 3 if you make the cut. Winner and second place receive a share of the pot and the balance goes to charity. Also includes 2 buffet lunches!

This is open to locals, ex pats, tourists etc..... Contact me prior to Thursday Sept 20 at 4 pm for more info!

$2000RD for two, maybe three, rounds of golf at Playa Dorado including lunches is the best deal ever.
I can't make this weekend but I'll certainly make the drive down from the mountains in the future for tournaments at that price.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com

If this includes greens fees, how can there be any pot and balance for charity?
The course must be donating the tee times for free.
This is a great deal!!
Is there one next month?

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Some answers

Hi guys, I will answer what I can. First I understand this is very short notice but will eneavour to give much more notice in the future.

1.First 3 rounds are Sat / Sun / Mon
Next 3 Thurs / Fri / Sat

Tee off first three days is 9 am, registration 8 to 8:30
Thurs and Fri tee off at 2pm.

After first two days, for 16"s, 8"s and 4's you pay green fee of Rd 350.
Last day - Sat - is included in entry fee.

Players must pay for carts, RD 450 per round based on 2 to a cart. Yes you need a caddy as well.

2. Scoring - no idea will have to ask

3. Handicap must be written, and recent. As long as it is a recognized hcap it is acceptable.

4. Organized by POP Golf Assoc. & Playa Dorada Golf Club

5. See above
'
6. Charity - Asilo de ancianos

The pot is based on an "auction" of players available in the final round. In order to potentially win the pot you must have been "purchased". If not purchased by someone else you can purchase yourself. (not heard of this before) If you just want to play then your green fee is covered in entry. Otherwise cost to buy yourself is RD 1,000

I hope that makes sense to everyone.....

IT is a great deal to just be able to golf! For visitors it would be a good chance to interract with local golfers be they ex pat or Dominicans.

I will certainly keep you posted on future events! Any questions feel free to contact me....

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
Calcutta

Most interesting. A Calcutta, gambling in its highest form. It will be very interesting to see the verification of handicaps. That is the reason a Calcutta is not condoned by the USGA. People have been killed for much less, this may be especially true if you throw golfers from offshore into the mix.
I'll look forward to hearing the results.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I will certainly let you know. Unfortunately attendance isn't what we had hoped as there is another large tourny in Santiago and we don't have the Santiago contingent here for this one.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I went down to the course earlier & this is what I determined was the layout for the tournament.

1) Matchplay by random selection (I believe) with allowance for H/cap
2) Winners of day one matches go forward to day two - losers are OUT.
- Winners of day TWO matches go forward to day three - losers go home
- Winners of day three ............. - losers go home (or watch from the sides)
- Quarter Finals day (8 payers left) same as above
- Semi finals (4 players) same as above
- Last pair in play off.

So, if you get knocked out in round ONE, your entrance fee of RD $2,000 is gone. The minimum holes you can play for this RD $2,000 is 10 as your opponent can win all 10 holes in a row & beat you by 9 holes with 8 more to play.

If you win both first rounds, you progress further with paying of Green Fees only RD $350. So, Day THREE will cost you only RD $350 (plus caddy & buggy as per previous days), Day Four & five will be the same & day six is free should you get to the final!! Again, caddy & buggy will be at the cost of the players!
Buggy cost is RD $400 per person (sharing) RD $800 if on your own.
Caddy might necessitate a fee to the caddies union (RD $400 normally) but I did not check this out to confirm. My understanding is that the 'Propina' for caddy is normally in the region of RD $600 or US $20 per round, but is negotiable between player & caddy! You could possibly tempt him with a "US $15 for day one, US 20 for day two, US $30 for day three, US $35 day four & five & US $50 for day six! Gives him a GOOD incentive to keep you competitive!!

You can see therefore that numbers are limited to 64 players for each competition. 32 progress to day two, 16 to day three, 8 to day four, 4 to day five & the final pair play day six (I didn't discover if 3rd & 4th have a play off too - I would have thought they do!!).

The next tournament has not been set yet but as the Golf Club is now prepared to view my membership 'AS A DOMINICAN' (rather than as a filthy rich extranajeros who has to pay more U$D!!) I might well be joining & will be able to keep people advised!! ~ Grahame.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
2) Winners of day one matches go forward to day two - losers are OUT.

So, if you get knocked out in round ONE, your entrance fee of RD $2,000 is gone. The minimum holes you can play for this RD $2,000 is 10 as your opponent can win all 10 holes in a row & beat you by 9 holes with 8 more to play.
This doesn't look as good as I thought.:ermm: