Vaccination question

DanaP

May 23, 2007
So, me and my son are packing up and relocating to the DR shortly. I have read that Typhoid and Malaria shots/meds are RECOMMENDED by the US CDC. My first reaction is that it seems a bit over the top and not necessary but I don't want to be irresponsible, especially with my 5 year old.

thoughts from the group please!! thanks much

d

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
So, me and my son are packing up and relocating to the DR shortly. I have read that Typhoid and Malaria shots/meds are RECOMMENDED by the US CDC. My first reaction is that it seems a bit over the top and not necessary but I don't want to be irresponsible, especially with my 5 year old.

thoughts from the group please!! thanks much

d
Certainly no need for Malaria meds, unless you're going to some special location where it's prevalent.
As for Typhoid shots, it's up to you.
Most will tell you there's no need, others will suggest you follow your doc's recommendations.
It's your call.

DanaP

May 23, 2007
definitely

Thanks Janin,

We are already completing the Hep series...no question there!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
When I moved here I had the works done! But then I was used to travelling in obscure parts of the world which made this necessary (rabid goats outside Ulan Bator in Mongolia, for example!) so I've always had this list done - I didn't deviate from this when I moved to DR. The list I had done was: Hepatitis A, Meningitis A & C, Diphtheria, Typhoid, Polio, Yellow fever, Tetanus and Rabies.

I keep these current (more or less; sometimes a year beyond recommended booster but nevertheless I do get them updated when I can).

Took malaria prophylaxis for first 5 years of living here - stopped that 10 years ago. It came in handy when I got toxoplasmosis - according to the medics I only had a mild dose because of the malaria prophylaxis. :)

DanaP

May 23, 2007
whoa!

jeeez..don't scare a girl or anything

do they really vaccinate people against rabies? never heard of that before..

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Yes they do. You can google it to find out more. Very little rabies here in DR but the vaccination isn't a problem so I keep it up. In fact none of the vaccinations are a problem - usually when I visit UK I'll have 3 in one arm and 2 in the other on the same day. The worst that has ever happened is slightly stiff arms for a day or so. So.........nothing to get scared about at all. :)

DanaP

May 23, 2007
plan

thanks everyone,

My son & I will be hitting the travel clinic in a couple weeks for a consult. I think i'll go with a list of shots somewhere in the middle. typhoid - yes, hep's - yes, yellow fever - doubtful, rabies - highly unlikely, malaria - maybe i'll ask them can't hurt to bring some right?

they also suggested maybe some antibiotics for the dysentery....oh boy things to look forward to!!!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
When I moved here I had the works done! But then I was used to travelling in obscure parts of the world which made this necessary (rabid goats outside Ulan Bator in Mongolia, for example!) so I've always had this list done - I didn't deviate from this when I moved to DR. The list I had done was: Hepatitis A, Meningitis A & C, Diphtheria, Typhoid, Polio, Yellow fever, Tetanus and Rabies.

I keep these current (more or less; sometimes a year beyond recommended booster but nevertheless I do get them updated when I can).

Took malaria prophylaxis for first 5 years of living here - stopped that 10 years ago. It came in handy when I got toxoplasmosis - according to the medics I only had a mild dose because of the malaria prophylaxis. :)
The message given here DanaP is "Damage Control". Plan for the worst & (within reason & financial constraints) take action before the event rather than afterwards when 'medications' (as in the example being discussed) may not be available, be too expensive or just misdiagnosed by the medical profession down here!

The same goes for driving, employing a builder/electrician (ESPECIALLY an electrician)/plumber, mechanic, lawyer .............. the list is extensive!! - Think ahead, try to see what COULD happen, plan for it happening &/or be prepared for the worst. If it DOESN'T happen - GREAT, if it does, you are already 20 steps ahead of anyone else in the locality!!

My advice? ....... get ALL medical precautions for tropical conditions REGARDLESS of whether the 'condition' is presently rampant or not!! ~ Grahame.

DanaP

May 23, 2007
wisdom..

Muchos gracias para sus pensamientos Graham!

I am a super over-preparer & planning for the worst, despite being kinda annoying at times, has surely saved me much time, headache & money.

I guess the same theory should apply (plus some) for all DR transactions.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
No Antibiotics For The Trots!!

Please do not use any antibiotics for diarrhea! At least, be extra, extra careful with this. Your best care path is to guarantee pure water, lots of it and good nutrition.

As for the shots: At the university we have yearly programs on Hep A&B, Typhoid, and , I think, a tetanus booster. So, I'd think you'd best go with these.

Unless you are going to go out and live in a mud floor hut next to some stinking body of water, and eat with your hands off of dirty dishes, I cannot see doing anything else. This is a case where location matters.

If you are going to live in close proximity to a population of Haitian immigrants, then I might bring some malarial drugs, but no using of them until knowing where I was going to live....

Oh yeah, this is 40+ years of experience talking to you...

HB

DanaP

May 23, 2007
haitians & malaria

Thanks HB,

Well, i'm planning to be in Juan Dolio and don't really know about the haitian population there. Isn't malaria carried by mosquitos? Do the haitians bring along their own mosquito population or something :cheeky:

i don't understand the connection.....enlighten me please!

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Thanks HB,

Well, i'm planning to be in Juan Dolio and don't really know about the haitian population there. Isn't malaria carried by mosquitos? Do the haitians bring along their own mosquito population or something :cheeky:

i don't understand the connection.....enlighten me please!

They bring the Malaria with them in their blood since the conditions for the malaria mosquito are more likely to be found in Haiti. Once in the DR -- if there are malaria competent mosquitos around -- the parasite can be spread to other (non Haitian) persons.

DanaP

May 23, 2007
ah ha!

of course, duh!! makes perfect sense now...

anyone know about haitian population in JD/San Pedro?

Seems like it might be wise to take the malaria meds. Are they harmful to children? I generally avoid medication for me & my son almost entirely..so this is a big step for me.....

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you need to know about Juan Dolio, send a note to MommC. She and Tony live there part of the year and she knows "everything" about the place.
Do not get your knickers in a bunch over this. This is a pretty healthy country if you are not down and out.
You want to bring good band-aids (with some antibiotic gel), Ibuprofin, Pepto Bismol (or any stomach medicine), Antiseptic soaps, and liquids for cleaning scrapes. What would be normal medicine cabinet stuff in the UK or the US.

HB

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I live in Juan Dolio - 6 years. No cases of malaria here that I have ever known of. Tetanus, Hep, Typhoid that's all you need - and if you decide you need more you can get them here - free at the local free clinic. The main thing you lack here is good band aids - ibuprofen available in your local colmado, antiseptic soaps available in local supermarket, concentrate on filling up your suitcase with goodies for those of us who have been deprived for so long!!!!!

Matilda

West Indian Chick

Sep 21, 2007
If I am not mistaken, if you get the yellow fever vac you are also protected from anothe disease. As far as the Hep series, I know your 5yo should have already gotten in as a baby@ birth 6months & 1yo. Hep isn't usually given until 11-14yo. It is just being introduced as a part of the vaccination schedule. Have Fun!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Matilda: It's a lot cheaper overseas....Ibuprofin, that is....
Sorry I forgot you were one of the Juan Dolio residents. My bad.
So glad to hear no malaria in your neck of the woods. It seems this lady is to wound up over this. We need someone to tell her that we came down out of the trees a long time ago, and that we even have toilets, electricity and running water.... (you get the picture>) This is not THAT backward a nation if you are a have, rather than a Have NOT...Maybe we should send her one of the Ritmo Social magazines from the Listin Diario??? See how the "other half" lives????

HB