Americans in DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
For all of those whose posts are deleted, next time just answer the question please.

I have no idea how many Americans in the DR, or specifically in Santo Domingo. I heard figures of 50,000 expats in total but have no idea how reliable this is.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The US Consulate could probably give you a good estimate as to the numbers in Sto Dgo.

I have heard numbers like 25,000 for the country....registered at the consulate...

HB

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
if we are talking about americans LIVINg here, that means all year around, job on the island or retired and spending their time all year around here, i would say that 25000 for the whole island comes closer, 50.000 for the capital i can not believe. many americans make their residency, but they don't really live here, they build or buy a condo and spend many times here over the year, but don't live here.
i have many american friends travelling like that, the very most are located in the closed residences, while a big part of the european residents(many spaniards, italians and germans) live on own properties/or rented off the residences in the barrios running busineses/or work here, they mostly spend the whole year on the island.
that'sonly my 2cents from the Punta Cana area.
Chris, our beloved moderator, deleting posts:
don't get angry, this is the forum named "Living", our funny/kidding way is part of our life here, at the end the answers to the post come out, without those joking stuff it would not be us, and without us Robert would not need moderators because there would not be a bord with good answers, just some **** maybe resident gringos telling stuff each tourist knows better about.
Mike

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Remember that the embassy figures include all the Dominicans who hold US citizenship.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Chris, our beloved moderator, deleting posts:
don't get angry, this is the forum named "Living", our funny/kidding way is part of our life here, at the end the answers to the post come out, without those joking stuff it would not be us, and without us Robert would not need moderators because there would not be a bord with good answers, just some **** maybe resident gringos telling stuff each tourist knows better about.
Mike

Dearest Mike, nobody is interested in the slightest if I get angry. But, let's not make the Americans angry ;) They've been known to have a different sense of humor from the rest of us. :laugh::laugh: And a new poster receiving silly answers is really not so nice. And as for Robert needing or not needing moderators, I have it on good authority that the board will survive.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
ha ha, Chris, the bord for sure will survive, at least i hope so, or my sponsorship would be worthless.
i agree with your point about the different sence of humor, specially when it comes to a new poster who never read anything from us, never meant to offend any poster.
will keep that in mind.
to the prior post:
did you ask/contact the US embassy?, of course they hold records also about dominicans with US citizenship, but those numbers should be separated to tell how many americans have residency here and how many dominicans have citizenship there.
would be a interested count.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
more info

Do you think maybe shes asking how many Americans do people know personally instead of the stats that are so impersonal?
I will be an American living full time in Santo Domingo very soon. I personally know about 5 full time Americans living in the area full time.I'm sure I know more but can't (or chose not to) think of them right now. I know of others that work, play and go back and forth often. But I wouldn't consider a part time resident to be really LIVING in DR. Living is when you really live, have all your belongings, make money inside the country and live mainly on pesos.

Hi Chris. Any dogs for me now? If my place lets me have a dog I'll be looking.

Also, whats wrong with Americans sense of humor??

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Jan, there's nothing wrong with the american sence of humor, it's just different in all countries, even regions, depending how someone grew up.
we took the newby a bit hard, so it's o.k. we got a hit and go on answering as good we can, that's the sencse of the bord i think.
how's it going Babe?
luggage reay for the big move?
let's meet on the DR chat tonight, should be back home around 10PM
of course with all dominican american european sense of humor ,lol
Mike

Bellamona

Sep 18, 2007
Thanks for the in depth answers - I am American, with most of my belongings here, planning to work and reside permanently. I agree with Jan regarding LIVING here; that being said now I know that, with me there are 7.. lol.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Well I am here, plus my son and daughter, so that is three of us, american permenant residents in the DR.

Well pemenant may be a misnomer, I am here more than eight years, have nothing back in the states except my three daughters, so well maybe one day we may, maybe go back, when I am very old.

CindyFranklin

Jan 22, 2007
I'm an American living in Punta Cana Village, with 5 American friends here also. We are all interested in meeting other expats (not just Americans but Europeans & other expats also). And we all have a great sense of humor :laugh: considering you have to in order to live on "insanity island"!! Seriously, I love it here & would love to meet other expats. Just send me a message & we'll meet up.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
According to the U.S. State Department, the Dominican Republic has 82,000 American citizens making the country home to the 3rd largest number of American citizens in the Western Hemisphere. Only Canada and Mexico have more.

According to the data shown in the link below, the DR's population of American citizens is surpased by 2 countries in the Americas, 5 in Europe, 2 in Asia-Pacific, 1 in the Middle East, and 0 in Africa for a total of 10 countries worldwide.

The data is from 1999, so now its much larger.

Americans Citizens Living Abroad (PDF)

-NALs

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.