Container / Duty free for returning Dominican

Freemo

May 26, 2003
I'm after a contact name/number for someone who can give precise details of exactly what is and isn't included in the 'duty free' container a Dominican can bring back to the DR when moving back to live.

My wife is getting all excited - imagining we'll be able to bring in everything including a vehicle.

I've trawled the threads for info but there are many opinions and I need facts before I make too many arrangements.

I am led to believe by the thread search that the vehicle and computer equipment are not included in the duty free allowance.

But as I say I need to be able to contact someone, an agent I suppose who will let me know the score in detail.

Any info would be appreciated.

Paul

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
The newly published law No. 171-07 very explicitly confirms that all household goods and personal belongings can be brought in duty free there is also a reduction on the tax on a used car BUT this law applies particurly to those retiring here.
A call to the import agent I am using, he speaks english, might help.
Jos? M. L?pez

L&G International Movers, S.A.
C/ Caonabo No. 10, Plaza Irene, Suite 306
Los Restauradores, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Tels. 809-530-4494 / 809-531-2586 / Fax 809-537-0427

e-mail:jlopez@lginternationalmovers.com
Untitled Document

Freemo

May 26, 2003
Container

Granca

Muchas gracias for the info, now to search for a good shipping agent in the UK, container prices etc, any info in this area from anyone who has 'gone before' would be appreciated greatly also.

Paul

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Granca

Muchas gracias for the info, now to search for a good shipping agent in the UK, container prices etc, any info in this area from anyone who has 'gone before' would be appreciated greatly also.

Paul

Freemo,

If you can continue to post any infomation you have found, I would love to read it. i.e.... what is allowed and how to get it here, cars more than 5 years old etc..

Thanks
John

SamanaJon

Jun 20, 2007
Container from the UK

Freemo...

I would think twice before bringing an auto from the UK to the DR. You may find it difficult/impossible (new law??) to register if it has RHD. Also parts are sometimes difficult to obtain for some makes and service may be impossible, if you live outside of SD. Stick with Toyota or Honda and buy it here. Less headaches. My thoughts only, Good luck.

Freemo

May 26, 2003
I will

Freemo,

If you can continue to post any infomation you have found, I would love to read it. i.e.... what is allowed and how to get it here, cars more than 5 years old etc..

Thanks
John

Sure will, I'll gladly share my up-coming experiences.

Paul

Freemo

May 26, 2003
I doubt I'll bring a vehicle

Freemo...

I would think twice before bringing an auto from the UK to the DR. You may find it difficult/impossible (new law??) to register if it has RHD. Also parts are sometimes difficult to obtain for some makes and service may be impossible, if you live outside of SD. Stick with Toyota or Honda and buy it here. Less headaches. My thoughts only, Good luck.

I'm not giving the vehicle importation thing a lot of my energy to be honest. I suppose even with the smoothest of deals you can expect a fair ammount of grief and hassle. I bet the customs people simply love gringos importing cars, gives their red-tape machine a field day, not to mention swell their back pockets.

I would only bring in a LHD anyway, these are cheaper in the UK, but the price of vehicles in the DR doesn't seem to me to be that bad. And yes I would stick with a vehicle make that is common to the DR.