Dominican Social Security Institute (IDSS)

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Can someone give the layman's version of what is going on with the national health care insurance program?

It seems that the country has moved ahead with providing health insurance/coverage. Is this true?

What I am wondering is how the program is supposed to work?
My understanding is that even temporary workers will get coverage (see news story from Thursday DR1) and non-documented persons will get coverage as well.

If this is true I wonder how many of those living in the RD, Dominicano and Haitiano, will really get this access?
Seems to me that a majority of people don't even know that they can get access and how many will be turned away or forced to pay something to a clinic when it could be covered?

Am I wrong in thinking that this is a program for everyone in the RD?

Feb 7, 2007
From what I have heard it is a mess and there are no clear answers.

You still get better coverage AND service with a private health insurance (either contracted directly or thorugh your employer's progra,) than via SFS.

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
Can someone give the layman's version of what is going on with the national health care insurance program?
.. a scam ??

> It seems that the country has moved ahead with providing health insurance/coverage. Is this true?
.. it fixes some pockets and that is for sure

> What I am wondering is how the program is supposed to work?
.. don't wonder, just sit, wait and be amazed

>My understanding is that even temporary workers will get coverage (see news story from Thursday DR1) and non-documented persons will get coverage as well.
.. time will tell

>If this is true I wonder how many of those living in the RD, Dominicano and Haitiano, will really get this access?
.. to pay for it: everybody has the right to do so.

>Seems to me that a majority of people don't even know that they can get access
.. oh yes they know, like always, a lot for a few, nothing for the rest.

i have to agree completely with rubio_higuey his answer.

most (private) clinics and laboratories are already out of the SFS (Stealing From S???) and continue their business as usual.

Last edited: