Going to NYC in October...Help...Dominican stuff!

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
Alright, I know this isn't completely DR related but here I go!;)

I'm going to NYC in October, I've been before but it's been a good while.
I'm going with a Dominican from Toronto.

Can anybody recommend me the best Dominican places to eat (not like a cafeteria but a real restaurant)

Also a good Dominican danceclub that plays Bachata, Merengue.....

If anybody knows of a really good Salsa club, I'd be interested to know also.:bunny:

Thanks so much!

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Alright, I know this isn't completely DR related but here I go!;)

I'm going to NYC in October, I've been before but it's been a good while.
I'm going with a Dominican from Toronto.

Can anybody recommend me the best Dominican places to eat (not like a cafeteria but a real restaurant)

Also a good Dominican danceclub that plays Bachata, Merengue.....

If anybody knows of a really good Salsa club, I'd be interested to know also.:bunny:

Thanks so much!

Try Latin Quarters. It depends on your age. I personaaly like LQ's on a Saturday night. A more mature crowd. Wednesday's as well. Lot's of Salsa & Bachata music.

For food, I leave the other experts to suggest.

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
We range in age from 27-35. So we are not interested in places full of kids doing el perreo...

Thanks BronxBoy :bunny:

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
for typical Dominican food try "El Malecon" there's a few you can google, the one I go to is on Broadway corner of 175th St. in Washington Heights.

Marisco Centro is also good I believe they are on St.Nicholas and about 182nd st. they serve really good fish and seafood. Also La Nueva Espana Restaurant in Washington Hghts also. You could probably google all these places. Some DR1's got together last year at "La Parrilla", they played live bachata that time, also in Washington Hghts.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Calidad Latina located at 132 9th avenue. This is between 18th and 19th street. The owners Frank and Jay are two great guys. The food is excellent and the prices are good too. This place is actually a great place for a DR1 get together. These guys are from Santiago and they make you feel at home.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Let us know

Hey:

If you do decide to go to LQ's or whereever, please let us know here at DR1.

I think a few of us might decide to join you.;)

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
Where is it (LQ)? In Washington Heights?

I'll let DR1 know where we go, in case others want to come... ;)

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
They have salsa wednesdays, so I've heard.[/QUOTE]

Yes and it is a good night.

Free buffet between 6pm and 8pm, cover I think is $5.00 to $10.00, 2 for 1 drinks, and free dance lessons.

And a known name band as well.

For instance, Jose "El Canario" will be there next Wednesday 9-26.

Talldrink was going to plan a DR1 event for that day but I think she said she might be out of town.;)

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Hey, Mr. and Mrs. here will be going to NYC/Boston/PA next weekend...Anything good happening at LQ's on Friday the 28th???

Is there a website for them or something where I can look up information on the club???

Thanks!!!!!

perlanegra

Feb 4, 2005
I had a very good time @ this place and the food was delicious. The decoration makes you feel like back home in a little city!

Gran Rancho Jubilee
23-04 94st East Elmhurst
New York 11367

718-335-1700

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I had a very good time @ this place and the food was delicious. The decoration makes you feel like back home in a little city!

Gran Rancho Jubilee
23-04 94st East Elmhurst
New York 11367

718-335-1700

but aren't their gourmet platano dishes a little too pricy???? the ambiance is nice, the waiters with their domican outfits but the service sucked....but this was a few years ago, things could have changed.

heheh the chairs are fun.

aimelove

Aug 26, 2007

Gran Rancho Jubilee
23-04 94st East Elmhurst
New York 11367

718-335-1700

I have eaten (and drank and drank) at Jubilee several times. My in laws live down the block. I used to take dates there after working at LaGuardia airport (when I was single). We used to have birthday parties there for coworkers. Its a nice place to go if you are only in town for the weekend. The entrees are a little pricey in comparison to other New York Dominican Restaurants. You can get more authentic Dominican food at a lower price in Corona, Queens or in Washington Heights, but you won't get the same clientele. I think the higher prices are to cover the money spent on remodeling. That place has gone through a nice transformation since the first time I ate there. The lunch buffet is a good buy at 8 dollars. The nightlclub downstairs is geared towards the young crowd. Its not like DR. They play lots of reggaeton music to cater to the 20 year olds. If you are in your late 30's like me you will appreciate the Friday happy hour more. For the guys, women go there in groups of 3 to 5 (in sexy business attire) looking to relax, drink and dance after the work week. If you want a nice dinner in a DR type atmosphere with American type prices, go there.

JUST ONE THING

BUYER BEWARE
One of the secretaries at the airline said her credit card information was stolen from her at Jubilee and things were purchased under her name. I don't think she would lie to me about that. PAY YOUR BILLS THERE WITH CASH. Even if you have pay an ATM fee to withdraw money (they have an ATM). I still go there to hang out, but I never forget to pay with cash (even after several Coronas).

Last edited:

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Jubilee, is pricier from most of the Dominican restaurants in NYC, but is also the largest and most celebrated Dominican restaurant in NYC. It's OK to check out probably once to see if you like it. I noticed that their clientele caters to wealthier Dominicans who's willing to pay those prices. Like aimelove stated the downstairs disco caters to a young crowd, but on some nights they do have a live band upstairs for the diners.

To the OP, if you are in Brooklyn, I would recommend "El Continental" on Atlantic Ave on the corner of Cleveland. Or possibly if you are driving, "El Gran Mars de Plata" on Fulton St. also near Norwood.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
agreed

Gran Rancho Jubilee
23-04 94st East Elmhurst
New York 11367

718-335-1700

i SECOND this vote! excellent food indeed!
by the way you can walk just about anywhere in WASHINGTON HEIGHTS and find places to eat and or hang out and dance, there is usually something happening every night.
good places to eat in the BRONX are just about any restaurant EL VALLE and or BRISAS DEL CARIBE. A good place to check out a lot of latin restaurants/discoteca type places is all over WESTCHESTER AVENUE between the OVAL [white plains road] and THIRD AVENUE, as a matter of fact just venture off anywhere in the Bronx around that area and you are sure to find plenty of good hangout spots.

Jaime :cheeky:

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
[good places to eat in the BRONX are just about any restaurant EL VALLE and or BRISAS DEL CARIBE. A good place to check out a lot of latin restaurants/discoteca type places is all over WESTCHESTER AVENUE between the OVAL [white plains road] and THIRD AVENUE, as a matter of fact just venture off anywhere in the Bronx around that area and you are sure to find plenty of good hangout spots.

Jaime :cheeky:[/QUOTE]

Jamie:

I agree. You are talking about The Shazz Lounge and Riddler's. Back in the old days, this area was booming.