Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A desperate plea

My name is Peter Claffey , I spend a lot of time here in Costambar .Puerta Plata ,DR, with my long term Domincan girlfriend. My ladyfriend has a 15 yr old daughter, who is beautiful inside and out , loves school and is very serious in her studies ,her name is Anaise, a little girl to whom I am very attatched emotionally.Anaise was recently diagnosed as having Osteosarcoma. this is a very aggressive form of cancer.Anaise has been advised by the doctor in Santiago and a second dotor in Puero Plata to have her right leg amputised and undergo chemo therapy, as any one who is a parent will understand has caused great distress here, I have looked at the chances of getting her into St .Jude Memphiss , where they may have been able to remove the section of tibia affected an d do a bone graft , but they sat at this time they are unable to accomadate.I live a lot of time here and have private insurance for myself and my partner , but stupidly I did not have it for Anaise.My pledge is to continue doing whatever i can for Anaise, i live on my disability allowance from the U.k and as such i have a limited income , I am willing to spend my last peso for this child I am looking and begging for any advice , financially , emotionanly , any medical advice, support through prayer, absolutely anything .At the present time Anaise is having herbal treatment , Anaise and her mum , are clutching at the hope that this will save her , but i worry that after what the other 2 doctors advised about immediate amputation the tumour will be growing with a greater chance of spreading to other parts of her body.Please if any body can advise or help Iwould be eternally grateful , I can assure everybody that this is a genuine appeal , I am not sure how this forum operates , but I can assure everybody that I will willingly give more information etc , or communicate be e_mail , my address being [email protected]. Thanks in anticipation

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow that's a sad story, I pray to God you find the right people who will help you and your family find the ways to make your daughter healthy again.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

You should take her to Cuba. I don't think a visa is needed but maybe that can be expedited.

The doctors there are top-notch and would be a faster alternative than trying to get her to the states or the UK for treatment.

Contact the cuban embassy in Santo Domingo if you need the visa for her. As a UK expat you can come and go as you please but it may be different for her.

And do not call-go in person. You will have to wait until Tuesday to do this but do not delay. You should be there next Tuesday first thing in the morning.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe look into clinical trials for osteosarcoma?
    Clinical trials : Cancerbackup
    Contact Ms Anne Holliday, MRC Clinical Trials Unit, Cancer Division, 222 Euston Road, London UK, NW1 2DA. Tel: 0207 670 4747 (+ code out of DR & into UK). Email: [email protected]
    Details of trial
    Treatment after surgery for children with osteosarcoma (Euramos 1 trial).

And contact Ian Worthington, UK Ambassador in DR to see if they have access to any charitable funding for this sort of need (in case clinical trial above doesn't work out).
    UK Embassies Overseas*Foreign & Commonwealth Office
    Last edited by Lambada; 09-21-2007 at 05:58 PM.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

many thanks m but unfortunately time is of the essence

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how to put this tactfully so I'll just put it: are you absolutely certain about 1) the diagnosis and 2) the need for instant action? Or is it worth getting another opinion?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

i understand your question unfortunately the diagnosis is 100% certain , i am in possesion of all the medical records , including mri scans, doctors reports etc , it has cost a lot of money to get this far, instant action is the advice of 3 doctors, but my lady is clinging to hope of alternative doctor who practises with herbs , I am in a bad postion as i cant force her to take the advice and prognosis given to her, she does not see the other herbal doctor for anothet crucial 3 weeks

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

Very sad can the red cross help, or can you bring her to the UK? my step son is from the D/R he have been in the UK 3 year,s he had to have his right leg amputated he speaks spanish and english if the worst comes to the worst he would be willing to talk to her on M S N VINCE1956

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Understood. At least try an email to organisation in UK I gave above & to Ambassador - nothing to loose and who knows? Maybe something to gain? When you have time have a look at those links (unless of course you're already familiar with them).

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Again, I cannot stress this enough-the herbalist is a crock and your wife needs to wake up to the severity of the situation.

I mean really, another three weeks to see an herbalist for such an aggressive cancer?

You have to take the bull by the horns here and make here stop this madness.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast