Robbed in Cabarete.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marazul

Apr 19, 2007
Just to warn all the people who might go to Cabarete to make sure where u stay in and if the have a security.... i had a really bad experience while i was in a hotel there that i will better reserve the name... i guess....

The thing was that me and my bf got robbed inside one of the bedrooms while we were sleeping! ... how scary is that? they took my laptop, cash money, my digital cam and my celphone plus i was a bit paranoic after that and thinking that an stranger was inside my bedroom while i was sleeping ....

I went to the police but right, they didnt do much apart from just doing the report...

So if anyone see a black compaq laptop with stars on it u will know that might have some Karma on it ... :(

Also i went to Orange and they gave me a list of some calls made with my chip after the robbed.... i was trying to call them but no one answer and i didnt bother about telling the police about it cuz they probably wont do anything and im too far away to bother....
The phone numbers were this, i guess they might be involved with the thief cuz they called them a few times....

829 601 9540
809 320 1154
829 356 7865
809 521 8121

Those were the numbers most dialed .... if any of u know them.... just tell them that i hope his friend is proud about his pathetic live, and that time will make him pay or is already doing it...

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
You really need to tell us which hotel it was. No use in protecting them now, don't you think?

And the bad publicity would do them good so they can get off their behinds and improve security so this doesn't happen to another tourist.

Marazul

Apr 19, 2007
The hotel didnt do anything at all.... they just said that maybe the door was not properly locked .. but it was, the thing was that they have one of those glass doors that u can open them from outside just pulling it up we discover that after.... and yeah ... we left already, after that it was most to do at least we kept most of the money in other place that they didnt touch.

And i guess u are right about i should say which is the Hotel and the owners should do something about it...

It was in the hotel casablanca.... I didnt really want to mention it because after all they made us a letter so we can claim with the insurance for the lost thing, and they are a really nice couple but as well they really need to have a security there. After us i heard about more people been robbed there too ...

And also the bad thing is that the insurance doesnt cover all the money of the things, plus they need probe of them and the receive of my laptop was inside the bag of it.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Any decent cop worth a grain of salt, would have called those numbers and "interviewed" the recipients of those calls and could have easily found the perps.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
WOW that's scary....I'm sorry that happened to you. Thank god you were only robbed.

Perhaps it's time to carry a travel alarm....you can find them online. They fit typical swing doors (knob operated) and also sliding glass doors....they are motion activated and will wake up the dead when they go off.

In other situations, I've been known to leave an empty beer bottle precariously placed so that it will fall over and rattle when the door is moved....hopefully making noise to wake me.

It's a shame we have to think like that, but it is the times in which we live.

Better travels in the future!

Marazul

Apr 19, 2007
Yeah... i thought about the bottle too late.... i never thought they were sooo brave to go inside with people there!

But i guess this are just lessons =X...

Don Pedro

Apr 2, 2005
exactly the same story 4 year ago.

A couple I know went for 3 days in Cabarete and someone robbed there cash during they were sleeping.
I do not remember if more damage than cash, but I remember they were 90% sure the guy at the reception desk was involved.
They had no proof but they had a strong feeling.
They reported to the police.
They mentioned the terrace sliding door was a little bit open but with the chain locked.
I do not remember the name of the hotel but I suppose it was a low/medium budget hotel.

They heard strictly nothing, they did not understand how it could happen to ear nothing.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
For those who don't know.
This is not that uncommon and has been going on as long as anyone can rememeber.
It's not only a hotel thing.
It happens in residences too.
We all wonder the same thing.
How do these people have the nerve to sneak in while we're sleeping, but they do.
Most of the time, it's a sliding balcony door that's been left open at night, that invites these thieves in.
So, the lesson learned is to lock up well at night.

PS: A warning.
One must assume that the thieves will be armed with something in case you wake up during the robbery.
There would be a danger were you to wake up and confront them.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
So, the lesson learned is to lock up well at night.

I agree with you there.....100%

PS: A warning.
One must assume that the thieves will be armed with something in case you wake up during the robbery.

Yes, this is true, BUT the ROBBER should assume the same thing...

There would be a danger were you to wake up and confront them.[/QUOTE]

Yes, there is a danger....the robber may be so surprised when the occupant wakes up, that the robber falls "backwards" through the glass doors thus cutting his own throat as he falls on the steak knife from the rib place the occupant ate at that very night....

Thieves prey on fear, and they fear getting caught....the best deal are those wedge shaped, battery operated, motion sensitive travel alarms....they fit all swing doors and some sliders...the noise will be enough to send them running.

The alarms are also effective at keeping overnight "guests" from rummaging your suitcase (just leave one inside, as soon as it is jiggled, the alarm will sound).

Safe travels.........

Marazul

Apr 19, 2007
I swear to god that the doors were well locked ..... every night we checked doors and windows cuz they are the sliding doors as well... the side locked was closed and the other side was open, and as i said before after the rob we found out that door can be open pulling it up even if it had the lock on.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I swear to god that the doors were well locked ..... every night we checked doors and windows cuz they are the sliding doors as well... the side locked was closed and the other side was open, and as i said before after the rob we found out that door can be open pulling it up even if it had the lock on.
I wasn't trying to assign you or anyone the blame.
Simply hoping to save others from the same fate, and your post points out another aspect, that one should check to see how secure the locks actually are.

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Ladrones Finos

I swear to god that the doors were well locked .....

There are 'ladrones finos' who are quite good at their trade.
They get their tip-offs from hotel staff, putas and sankies (who get their share) on what is to expected (valuables, locks, times, etc.).
They even know how much booze you had that night...

Janin

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Pues es la pura verda!

There are 'ladrones finos' who are quite good at their trade.
They get their tip-offs from hotel staff, putas and sankies (who get their share) on what is to expected (valuables, locks, times, etc.).
They even know how much booze you had that night...

Janin
So true!.

I don't know how many times I have to say that SOME of these people "compare notes". They know EVERYTHING that's happening around them!. EVERYTHING!!.

I am NOT saying that that's the case here, but one just NEVER knows!!.

ANNNNND if they have "staff help", the possibilities are ENDLESS!!.

Just be glad NOTHING happened to you or your family because we know there are SOME axxholes that even if they steal from you, they would beat the living hell out of you, just for the heck of it!.

Karma WILL get them!!.

Marazul

Apr 19, 2007
The funny thing is that i guess this thief was a bit scare or i not sure what happened, because in the other side of the bed close to my bf he was having over the table night his digital camera, his ipod and his celphone and the thief didnt take it..... But Glad he didnt...

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The funny thing is that i guess this thief was a bit scare or i not sure what happened, because in the other side of the bed close to my bf he was having over the table night his digital camera, his ipod and his celphone and the thief didnt take it..... But Glad he didnt...
Did you say cellphone?
Is your boyfriend from the DR?
I see you both had cellphones.
Are either of you from the DR?
Were you just on vacation?
Do you live here?

Marazul

Apr 19, 2007
My boyfriend is from UK, im Dominican and living in Santo Domingo .... So no hehehe he is not a sanky lol ..... He was visiting me.

The laptop, cellphone, and dig cam were mine ..... my purse and cellphone were inside my purse and they also took some cash from it, 1000rd$ ..... the laptop was in the floor right next to my side ......

My boyfriend was luckier than me, they just took from him 3,000 pesos from his wallet....

They left the wallet and purse empty over the kitchen table.....

Right .... they even took my towel! .... I guess it was used to put the things inside...

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
My boyfriend is from UK, im Dominican and living in Santo Domingo .... So no hehehe he is not a sanky lol ..... He was visiting me.

The laptop, cellphone, and dig cam were mine ..... my purse and cellphone were inside my purse and they also took some cash from it, 1000rd$ ..... the laptop was in the floor right next to my side ......

My boyfriend was luckier than me, they just took from him 3,000 pesos from his wallet....

They left the wallet and purse empty over the kitchen table.....

Right .... they even took my towel! .... I guess it was used to put the things inside...
I and several residents have been robbed in a similar fashion.
As Janin mentioned, the thieves study their victims, their habits, watch them for mistakes, maybe have connections.
The important thing is that you didn't get hurt.
It's little consolation for losing your possessions, but ultimately, that's what really matters.

Marazul

Apr 19, 2007
I and several residents have been robbed in a similar fashion.
As Janin mentioned, the thieves study their victims, their habits, watch them for mistakes, maybe have connections.
The important thing is that you didn't get hurt.
It's little consolation for losing your possessions, but ultimately, that's what really matters.

I totally agree, thats what matter at the end we didnt get hurt ....

But after that i passed like one week with sleeping problems, thinking that maybe the people in the street might were involved, and putting my pepper spray under my pillow .... totally paranoid =X

Status
Not open for further replies.