Suggestion for a great resort

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
My oldest son and his wife have never been to the DR (shocking) and they are thinking of going sometime after Christmas Dec.26 to Jan. 2

They are going without the 3 kids and they really don't want to leave the resort so what they need is a nice clean resort on the beach, pool, and good food.

They've been to Mexico and Cuba but would like to try the DR. I think they would like the south coast better than the north.

I'm counting on you for info ;)

Thanks

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Since they are going without the kids I think I would recommend something like Excellence in Punta Cana? Adults only and (from what I've heard) one of the best resorts when it comes to food selection.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I agree that the South coast, ie: Punta Cana, would be the place for them.
If all they want is a getaway and R & R, how could they go wrong?
That's what Punta Cana's all about.

East Coast Punta Cana

Great suggestions but there are many more resorts to chose from, while Excellence is very nice it is quite remote.

Some other choice you might consider are :

Majestic Colonial
Palladium's Grands
Sunscape the Beach
Bavaro Princess
Melia Caribe Tropical
Iberostars
just to name a few.

AnnaC: you know how to get a hold of me, I have lots of pictures on the net for them to look at and I will give you my personal opinions of the resorts I have been to.

Wud

Last edited:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Dile de este.......

My oldest son and his wife have never been to the DR (shocking) and they are thinking of going sometime after Christmas Dec.26 to Jan. 2

They are going without the 3 kids and they really don't want to leave the resort so what they need is a nice clean resort on the beach, pool, and good food.

They've been to Mexico and Cuba but would like to try the DR. I think they would like the south coast better than the north.

I'm counting on you for info ;)

Thanks
Anna, the Resort where I felt the most relaxed in the DR, not bothered by vendors, not bothered by loud music or loud people, besides catering to Italians (at least the few times I have stayed there) is the:

Venta Club Gran Dominicus in Bayahibe!.

A very different atmosphere and the staff are NOT "on your face".

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Sii...

Hmmmm.
On your face, you say?
I didn't know that was one of the free services offered in the AIs.
Yes, you know, you not been able to move and them not telling you "you have something on your face", "what is that on your face?", "yo amo what's on your face"......

Take your mind out of the gutter, "TheRock".

Anna:

Have your son go to their website so he can see for himself what I am talking about.

DISCLAIMER:

Just because I liked it doesn't necessarily means he/they will like it.

Feb 7, 2007
Ocean Blue/Sand is very lovely, has beautiful pools, very good food with very wide selection, several thematic restaurants that do not require reservation (American, Mexican, Italian, Dominican, Gourmet, Seafood) and a lovely cofee shop a-la Starbucks, where they serve cofee, tea, frozen delights, and pastry. You can read the international newspapers in a plushy chair while enjoying your frapuccino and smelling the roasted cofee, with a nice non-intrusive music in the bacground. Also taste one of the best cheescakes I have eaten in the DR.

If they check in into VIP service (Club Elite) they will also enjoy room service 24 hours, free horseback riding, and premium drinks.

Everything is within walking distance, the hotel is not large but not small either (800 rooms) and it's 5 minutes walking time from the beach to the reception. The hotel also has a bowling alley and climbing wall. Got late-nighters, a sports bar is open 24 hours and serves late night hot food.

Another hotel I can recommend is Melia Caribe Tropical. it has lush tropical gardens, and it really is paradise. It also has several thematic restaurants, including japanase one where they cook in front of you. It also has really nice pool and food is plenty and good. The disadvanatge is that walking rakes up to 15 minutes to get from the reception to the beach, as the hotel is really huge.

At Melia CT, they can also enjoy a private Royal Service section, with private pool, 24 hour room service, provate restaurant, and premium international drinks.

Other hotels I can recommend in the area are:
Bahia Principe
Palladium Punta Cana
(of the 3 palladiums this one is very recently renovated)

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
My mom and her bf came to Iberostar in January and we just loved it. Great ambiance, good food options, an almost brand new room, nice beach, good activities and the evening bands are Terrific! I would say it's on the top of my list of hotels I've visited so far. And if they DO decide to venture out of the hotel, they're just a hop and a skip away from Bavaro, Palma Real Shopping Center...

Feb 7, 2007
And if they DO decide to venture out of the hotel, they're just a hop and a skip away from Bavaro, Palma Real Shopping Center...

Well, it's not just a skip away from Palma Real Shopping... it's about 10 kms away. By taxi, 350 pesos or more...

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Que puedo decir?....

Thanks everyone. I will pass this on and let you all know where they end up.
No prob.

ANNNND in case you "didn't" get my PM, if you need a phone number and a contact, let me know.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Thanks Miguel but they will be going with a travel package and won't need to contact the hotels directly.

I just needed a variety of good resorts in the south.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
From my own experience, any of the hotels Wud mentioned would be awesome for them!!!!

Melia Caribe Tropical is beautiful...so is the new Bahia Principe...built less than 2 years ago, I think...or the new Palladium...

They'll love it!!!!