Colmado prices? Just to catch up

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Just want to know the average prices of my favorite things...
Whats the price of a grande presidente (mas o menos) in the Colmado now? How about a large pack of Belmont (I prefer Belmont) or National cigarettes?
1 egg?
What about a bottle of Baleydon (I think that was the brand I liked) hotsause?
How about a pound of Gouda cheese?
A piece of pan de auga?
A bag of Santo Domingo coffee (ground)?
How about a spoon of ketchup? (sorry, just had to ask that, still kills me that you can buy that)
How about the price of a taxi in Santo Domingo?
And the public car fee?
These are pretty much my staple items and just wanted to catch up on the prices, more or less. I want to be prepared.

Last edited:

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Now More Expensive

.... I want to be prepared.

Well, prepare yourself for much higher prices ...

We don't buy in 'colmados' often because supermarkets normally have better prices (not always, though).
Bohemia Especial (better than Presidente beer.... ) is about 730.- (24 small bottles).
Gouda (imported) about 170.- /lb.
Taxi in SD, I paid 150.- last time.
Eggs: 100.- for a carton of 30
One bag of this marshmellowish bread: 40.-
Pan Pep?n, regular size toast bread: about 70.-
Ketchup, local brand ("Linda"): about 35.-

Disclaimer:
I do not shop, I just pay the bill...

Janin

Last edited:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
In my colmado:

Presidente grande: 60
Eggs: 4
Queso Danes 140lb
Pan de agua 4
Coffee 100 (68 in Iberia)
Spoon of ketchup 2

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Yep, seems things have gone up for sure. When I was there an egg was 2 pesos, then it went to 3 just as I was leaving. Pan de aqua was 2 then 3 pesos.
I do shop in the markets but can't stock up as I only have one of those little fridges and they don't hold much. And its hard to cook when I don't have a stove (or Microwave), only a burner. So I have to get lots of stuff at the Colmados.
A taxi is really $150 now for Apolo or Son taxi?
And what about a public car?

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
50:1

Yep, seems things have gone up for sure.

If you earn local currency you may not feel the hike so much.
But if your income is in foreign exchange you'll find that many items are four times more than they were three years ago.
Remember the rate of 50 RD$ :1 US$....?

Janin

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Fare

...A taxi is really $150 now for Apolo or Son taxi?

Maybe not.
I always use a certain guy who is very reliable.
But I have had others who wanted even more...

Mind you, petrol and LPG has also gone up quite a bit since you left.

Janin

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Oh yea..I loved that rate. My apartment was less than $100usd. Those were the days.
Once I get back I will have some income in pesos (some in dollars) if all goes as planned. And it better go as planned.
Ok..heres a question that even if I did get the answer I probably would not understand anyhow. Please make it in kindergarten terms please.
How can a country hold a currency at a rate..like 33 to 1 USD all this time when before the exchange was going up and down drastically. (One day it was 42 the next it was 47 then 51)?

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Good Supply of $$$$$$$

...How can a country hold a currency at a rate..like 33 to 1 USD all this time when before the exchange was going up and down drastically. (One day it was 42 the next it was 47 then 51)?

http://www.dr1.com/forums/business-questions/66213-dominican-peso-overvalued.html

If that does not answer your question, you may want to consider, that there is a lot of high level speculation in this country which is being helped by international honourable societies pumping in $$$$$ like powder...

Janin

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
hey Jan, date is coming closer, closer, closer and closer.
nervous???
i'll send you some ggs to help you out babe.
had my meeting yesterday, been completely positive, a short trip to puerto rico this week and the final meeting next monday, so hopefully will invite you for some cold ones on one of the 2 new yachts soon, brand new, can't believe it myself still.
to your rates, i thought the differeces between StDgo and the bavaro area would be bigger, but besides the cabby and the public transportation looks like we are on the same level.
pan de agua 3.-
Taxi(bavaro) 12 US$ minimum rate, StDgo 120-150.- pesos to cross the whole city, for a 200-250.- pesos you can rent him fir the half day, doing stops to drop or receive stuff
pequenia presidente45 pesos
grande 60.-
cigarettes nacional paquete grande 80 pesos
eggs 5 pesos
like they mentioned above the supermarkets are cheaper, i buy most stuff at local supermarkets, too, but the minor stuff i get at the colmados in the barrio, you always stay cool with the neighbours and they are good spots for a hang out chat.
i know you love your colmados
Mike

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Thanks for the info all. I just want to make sure that the Gringa doesn't get ripped off. When I first moved to DR I know I got charged Gringo rates. But after a while I got to know the prices and people got to know me so I got the real prices. And when someone tried to charge me the higher rate I could argue (I know many times people love to argue prices). and say "diablo". "que viana" and all that. It would get a laugh and usually a better price.
I'm excited for you to get the big boats Mikey.
I do love my Colmados as most who know me know well.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
hey Jan, a special plqan to get No -gringo rates for ya.
you order all the beers for us, WE drink them, some are for you, too, of course, and then we pay the bill with your money and get colamdo rates, jejeje.
you'll tell them all co... diab... sh.... for sure and get the rates you want to, he he.
s'y'
Mike