St Patrick's school Sto Domingo

Freemo

May 26, 2003
Does anyone have a link to the St Patrick school website please?

Regards,
Paul

Freemo

May 26, 2003
Found it

Hey I found it - you'll all be relieved to know. HeHe

Well there were probably loads of you all searching like mad for this, you can stop now.

Only joking.

Paul

Freemo

May 26, 2003
No problem

could you share it with us. i have'nt been able to find it in two weeks. lol

Sure thing

I'm at work right now, soon as I get home I'll be able to get it from my PC and post it.

Having said that, believe it or not, after finally getting the URL the website threw up a 'server error' whenever I chose either the english or spanish language options.

It may be fixed by now though. We rang the school and they were un-willing to give any info at all over the phone. They agreed to send an info package via email. Haven't got it yet, but the week-end has partly intervened.

Gossette Ortiz

Oct 17, 2007
Do you live in the Dom Rep? Why that school? There are way much better shcools. What are you looking for? My daughter is in an all american type school and speaks english at the age of 5 of course with my help and i travel to the states twice a year so that helps. But if you are lookin for an american type school with good values i got a few good ones.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Sure thing

I'm at work right now, soon as I get home I'll be able to get it from my PC and post it.

Having said that, believe it or not, after finally getting the URL the website threw up a 'server error' whenever I chose either the english or spanish language options.

It may be fixed by now though. We rang the school and they were un-willing to give any info at all over the phone. They agreed to send an info package via email. Haven't got it yet, but the week-end has partly intervened.

What happened to the link you found for this school??

Freemo

May 26, 2003
Do you live in the Dom Rep? Why that school? There are way much better shcools. What are you looking for? My daughter is in an all american type school and speaks english at the age of 5 of course with my help and i travel to the states twice a year so that helps. But if you are lookin for an american type school with good values i got a few good ones.

We're English, this school seems to have a good rep from posters here on Dr1.
I'm sure St Georges is better for example and possibly Carol Morgan but we don't have limitless funds. My children while maybe not fluent in spanish, will be after 6 months or so. St Patricks seems to be an affordable option.

We are hoping that the transition from UK school to DR schools will be a fairly comfortable one. The dual language system at St Patricks should help towards their integration.

Freemo

May 26, 2003
What happened to the link you found for this school??

Simply couldn't lay my hands on the link for ages, sorry.

It was buried in an email from the school.

I notice someone has posted it in the meantime, still doesn't work though.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Unless location is a major consideration, there are other schools in the same price bracket that might be a better option. Our experience as parents of a fully bilingual child in first grade at St Patrick's was that he was not challenged because all the other children were still learning English from scratch.

We decided to move him to a non-bilingual school instead, and it has proved to have been the right decision because he is learning more there, as opposed to just going through the motions. I am making sure that his English continues to develop by providing input at home.

The other option would have been to put him in a bilingual school where there are more native English speakers, both teachers and students, but the ones near us are, as you say, too expensive, and the one bilingual school I would put him in like a shot is too far away.

There were other issues with St P's, such as blatant grade inflation, and there have been certain changes since we took our child out that make us think it was just as well. Having said that, our son had a wonderful, caring and approachable teacher and there were no complaints on that front. So much so that she still calls us to ask how he is getting on.

Freemo

May 26, 2003
Unless location is a major consideration, there are other schools in the same price bracket that might be a better option. Our experience as parents of a fully bilingual child in first grade at St Patrick's was that he was not challenged because all the other children were still learning English from scratch.

We decided to move him to a non-bilingual school instead, and it has proved to have been the right decision because he is learning more there, as opposed to just going through the motions. I am making sure that his English continues to develop by providing input at home.

The other option would have been to put him in a bilingual school where there are more native English speakers, both teachers and students, but the ones near us are, as you say, too expensive, and the one bilingual school I would put him in like a shot is too far away.

There were other issues with St P's, such as blatant grade inflation, and there have been certain changes since we took our child out that make us think it was just as well. Having said that, our son had a wonderful, caring and approachable teacher and there were no complaints on that front. So much so that she still calls us to ask how he is getting on.

My daughter is 11 and my son is 9 nearly. They both happily chat away in Spanish and understand every word spoken to them. Location is quite important to us. We aim to do the dual language school for only a year or so until they are fluent in Spanish. I know that after 2 years they may feel its traumatic to leave the school but if they are going to live in the country (up to and including University I hope) then Spanish should really become thier first language.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Their Spanish will probably not benefit from this setting. I suggest you visit the school and watch a lesson in action - all talking is done in 'English' apart from in the Spanish, Civics and Sociales classes. On the plus side, by the ages of 9 and 11 the children will be more advanced in English compared to my son's first grade classmates, but still not on a level any way near fluent English speakers especially few if any of the teachers are native English speakers. If you want to bring their Spanish up to the standard of their English you would be better advised to put them in a non-bilingual school.

Freemo

May 26, 2003
Their Spanish will probably not benefit from this setting. I suggest you visit the school and watch a lesson in action - all talking is done in 'English' apart from in the Spanish, Civics and Sociales classes. On the plus side, by the ages of 9 and 11 the children will be more advanced in English compared to my son's first grade classmates, but still not on a level any way near fluent English speakers especially few if any of the teachers are native English speakers. If you want to bring their Spanish up to the standard of their English you would be better advised to put them in a non-bilingual school.

I honestly apreciate your advice but I know the Spanish will not be a problem. Their mother speaks to them in Spanish rather than English. Also we have many friends and loads of family there of whom only 1 or 2 speak English. My main concern is that the transition from one culture to another, from one learning environment to another is not an upsetting experience. So the English spoken at school will be ideal. As soon as they walk out of the school gates they will get all the Spanish they need. I feel very lucky in as much as they are so very up for it. If they were dreading the move it would be an emotional nightmare for all of us.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The decision is yours, of course. :) Our experience was that at this level of bi-lingual schooling the kids were getting taught in substandard English while Spanish was given a back seat.
I wish you luck with the move and don't hesitate to get in touch if you'd like them to meet other British-Dominican kids. From my experience as a child whose parents moved round a lot, changing countries is an exciting adventure at that age.

Freemo

May 26, 2003
The decision is yours, of course. :) Our experience was that at this level of bi-lingual schooling the kids were getting taught in substandard English while Spanish was given a back seat.
I wish you luck with the move and don't hesitate to get in touch if you'd like them to meet other British-Dominican kids. From my experience as a child whose parents moved round a lot, changing countries is an exciting adventure at that age.

What school did you move your kids to, and where is it located, and how do you/they like it? and how much does it cost?

Nothing like being direct and to the point, LOL

I'm sure they'd love to meet anglo-dominicans, thanks, will be in touch.

Paul

Gossette Ortiz

Oct 17, 2007
We're English, this school seems to have a good rep from posters here on Dr1.
I'm sure St Georges is better for example and possibly Carol Morgan but we don't have limitless funds. My children while maybe not fluent in spanish, will be after 6 months or so. St Patricks seems to be an affordable option.

We are hoping that the transition from UK school to DR schools will be a fairly comfortable one. The dual language system at St Patricks should help towards their integration.

Well my daughter goes to Saint Joseph School in Piantinni she is in Kindergarden and i pay like 2,000 dollars a year for her, well i do now cuz she is in Kindergarden i believe that if they are younger its less expensive.

And you know what never put your children in the first place you come across that others seem to think that are great i am sure that many people will have something to say about Saint Joseph but let me tell you my daughter has been there since she was 1 and she is 5 now and speaks English and of course she is my only baby i want the best for her. I can also say from there to Saint George or Carol Morgan which i cant right now so i hope that you could at least look into that one and others like MC School, and New Horizons.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's supposed to be one of the better ones. I think Criss Colon's children go there.