Please bare with me on this one, but I need help...

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I have a dominican neighbor who was told by the superintendent(also a dominican) that his daughter applied online for a hotel job in the DR and she went down there to work.

Supposedly she is making 80,000 pesos a month. She has been telling me that I should apply also, as a foreigner who speaks english and spanish that I would be given preferential treatment in the job market for such jobs over a dominican.

My super, God bless his soul, is one of the most untrustworthy human beings I have ever met, so I figure that the apple does not fall far from the tree and that both he and his daughter are liars. I am convinced of this.

I am convinced that this pay scale for hotel workers is not true, but nothing I say will convince my neighbor otherwise. So if you guys can bare with me and just give me the lowdown on how much these hotel jobs really pay so I can show her the responses it would help very much.

Now this young lady, the supers' daughter, does not have any outstanding skills or education, and she is in fact extremely out of shape and not what I wold call good-looking in the conventional sense. In other words I don't see this happening for her, but thats' not the point. Its' the pay scale.

I figure even if she had a degree in hotel management, what are the odds that anyone can score such a high-paying job in the DR without at least knowing someone?

Thanks in advance.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Offa the top o' my head: No way! that is a very handsome salary, indeed.
However, the way things are here, it MIGHT happen.
I will let some of the more knowledgeable folks handle this one....But knowing what bank managers make, what college professors with 35 years of experience make, and what a few other jobs make, it seems unlikely.

HB

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I am convinced that this pay scale for hotel workers is not true,
You are completely right ! No one earns 80 000RD$/month here, except the politicians in the government (they usually earn millions...)

If she works in a hotel, she'll be lucky to get 12 000RD$/month...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I have a dominican neighbor who was told by the superintendent(also a dominican) that his daughter applied online for a hotel job in the DR and she went down there to work.

Supposedly she is making 80,000 pesos a month. She has been telling me that I should apply also, as a foreigner who speaks english and spanish that I would be given preferential treatment in the job market for such jobs over a dominican.

My super, God bless his soul, is one of the most untrustworthy human beings I have ever met, so I figure that the apple does not fall far from the tree and that both he and his daughter are liars. I am convinced of this.

I am convinced that this pay scale for hotel workers is not true, but nothing I say will convince my neighbor otherwise. So if you guys can bare with me and just give me the lowdown on how much these hotel jobs really pay so I can show her the responses it would help very much.

Now this young lady, the supers' daughter, does not have any outstanding skills or education, and she is in fact extremely out of shape and not what I wold call good-looking in the conventional sense. In other words I don't see this happening for her, but thats' not the point. Its' the pay scale.

I figure even if she had a degree in hotel management, what are the odds that anyone can score such a high-paying job in the DR without at least knowing someone?

Thanks in advance.

I believe this is more than likely a charade. A normal monthly salary for an attendant who only speaks one language would not be much more than RD10k a month.

For a bilingual one, you could expect more but probably not even RD20k a month. That is a very good salary for most Dominicans by the way. People who are making more(usually much more) are typically professionals such as doctors, engineers(w/good contacts) etc.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
And what about the question of hiring preferences? Is it true that a bi-lingual from the states has a better chance at getting hired for one of these jobs than a dominican who only speaks spanish?

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I have friends at the PUCMM studying Hotel Management and entry level salaries are between 12K and 15K a month in hotels in puerto plata.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
And what about the question of hiring preferences? Is it true that a bi-lingual from the states has a better chance at getting hired for one of these jobs than a dominican who only speaks spanish?

Certainly if they are working in a job that would require someone to speak English, but getting to RD80k is a real stretch, considering that bilingual teachers at colegios are lucky to make RD20k a month.

Dominicans are very adept at stretching the truth when it comes to money. They do this often enough to me but when the expression on my face shows little interest, they too seem to loose interest. It might help that I hardly dress to the "t" too. Just let them know that you aren't "fisno" like them and then maybe they will stop trying to impress you so much, haha!

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003

Not true (in my case at least). When I was in my early twenties I applied a job at the at the Paradise hotel in boca chica. I wasn't given any preferential treatment.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Te estan vendiendo langosta por chimichurry...

Thanks in advance.
Berzin, this is nothing more than BULLCRAP!!.

That's about 2,500 dollars!!.

Either she is laying to her father of the father is lying to you!!.

My half bother, first cousin of the Vice-President and who has a GREEEAT job (by Dominican standard) does NOT make that much money!.

Perhaps because he is NOT a politician, whahahahaha!!.

Seriously, ONE of them is stretching the truth!.

Or perhaps your neighbor thinks you don't know much about the DR and is peeing on your legs and telling you it's raining!.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
I had met a doctor that is working in Santiago and is making 22,000 pesos per month.
80,000 - just too much of a stretch for sure.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

Supposedly she is making 80,000 pesos a month.

If she is "working" at the hotel and making that kind of money ($2,400 U.S +/-), I doubt she is working as an employee of the hotel.

Wait El Tigre, don?t hit that delete button!

This is an honest and sincere response to the OP.........

It would also be hard from what I am lead to believe for the hotel to hire a foreigner (Non-Dominican) to work in the DR until they got authority from immigration. (Yes, I know, the girl in question is Dominican, but sounds like the OP is not)

luzcace

Aug 19, 2004
www.luzcace.info
It is not strange to make 80 k in a hotel, but as she doesn't have any outstanding skills nor experience and therefore is not in an executive position.......no way

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Someone I know has a middle-management job at the best SD hotel, has several years of experience, is bilingual, well-connected and has a relevant degree from one of the best DR universities, and she earns a little more than half that sum.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Is she getting paid in USD's? If that's the case it is not a stretct to make about 2500 USD's a month which is a very low salary here in The US. I have a friend who makes 3500 USD's / month and he got hired down there. Now this guy has a degree from a US college which makes a big difference...

Berzin: Can you provide where she applied?

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Lo que el escribio.....

Is she getting paid in USD's? If that's the case it is not a stretct to make about 2500 USD's a month which is a very low salary here in The US. I have a friend who makes 3500 USD's / month and he got hired down there. Now this guy has a degree from a US college which makes a big difference...

Berzin: Can you provide where she applied?
Suarez, if I am not mistaken, Berzin said that the young lady didn't have "outstanding skills or education".

I don't know of ANYBODY, even with outstanding skills and education who works in a Resort making that kind of money.

A friend of mine told me a few years ago that his cousin was the manager of a 5 stars Resort and he made about 20,000 pesos a month.

Coming from a Dominican, knowing how SOME like to stretch the truth, that sum was probably 5-10, 000 pesos more than what he actually made.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I think her particular story is BS, but... You'll be surprised what some people make.

I know gringo school teachers making RD$50,000+ per month others less than RD$20,000. It depends on your skill set, school etc.

I know some people here earning wages US$8,000+ per month in some sectors.
Yes that's US$ and yes that's Dominicans making that money.

RD$80,000 can be made in the hotel sector, all depends at what level, experience etc.

Like most things here, it's who you know and how well you negotiate.

Feb 7, 2007
My former neighbor was a reception supervisor in Riu and he made 30.000 pesos per month, plus the hotel paid his apartment, so it got to about 40.000 per month.

Euterpe

Aug 20, 2007
I asked the animation staff at the hotel in Puerto Plata what they were earning, and the basic staff were getting 8.000 pesos a month, the disk-jockey 11.000 a month - don't think that they were lying.
80.000 pesos is nearly 15.000 sterling a year - which is a good starting salary for a trained bil-lingual secretary. So if you can earn this in the DR, and given the difference in the cost of living, I'm telling my daughter to move there right away !!!!!

Last edited: