More on the crime info please!

J

Jen

I noticed several of the locals said that the worst crime incidences were deleted. Would someone please fill me in on what the real story is as far as crime and safety concerns.

Jen

M

Marco

Count me in for that too...
I think it's important to be completely informed
without censorship?

I want to know all I can learn about safety in the DR too...

A

aristoba

well 3 weeks ago a german was murdered in Sosua
on Pedro Glisante , it was a contract murder
police caught the guilty.
nothing in the news papers.

last week 3 locals broke in a
house near cabarete . Police shot and killed one
caught the other 2.
nothing in the newspapers.
thats the ones I know about..
who knows how many others.

S

Sylvia

Sorry,
but Aristoba is writing is a little wrong!!!!

The true story to what has happend on the Calle Perdro Clisante:
The(half)Pedro Clisante is an one way road.Two german or swiss men were in their car on their way home.They drove (Pedro Clisante)in the correct direction.
Another car with some dominicans drove in the one-way road in the wrong direction.
Both cars stoped and they started to fight.The dominicans were drunk.
They beat one guy up and he died later from those beats.The other guy(german)was hurt with a knife.Hes ok now!!!
The dominicans ran off.And never were caught.
Never there was a murder contracted!!!!!!!!!
----------------------------------------------------------------
The other story,about the german guy who was mugged in his own house-----is was in all newspapers!!!Even in the german newspapers.

The guy lived in LA MULATA.There he had a house which was very well secured.Gratings infront of every window and door,an alarmsystem(very very loud)
About 9pm 3 men tried to get trough the front door(secured three times).No chance!!!
The german tried to protect himself with a gasgun and also started the alarm.The three men though it was a real gun and shot him through the window.
Everybody in the neighborhood heared the alarm but nobody went to see what happened.
The next morning the body was found but the gardener.The police came.Nothing was stohlen but the thieves.But the police took
a branch with PLATANOS.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Accidents can and happen everywhere!!!!
The problem we have in Sosua is:
Everybody knows everybody!!!!!!!
What I want to say is,that when someone dies by accident or not,we hear from it and find out fast.
Living in germany,england or USA we wouldnt even notice if our neighbor is still alive or dead.

A

aristoba

Sorry Sylvia
you are wrong on both accounts..
in the first incident
there were no cars involved, the guy came out of the nightclub there...it all hapened about 4 or 5 in the morning ...
as I described earlier.
At that time 2 cars could easily pass any way they wanted.

You are right about the La Mulata case., that happened as you
say. but I think that is more than a month old.
the case I write about is less than a week old.
And happened exactly as I wrote.
and nothing in the news papers.
I have seen the victim a german with knive stabs.
and from him I heard what happened to the bad guys.

Neither case was an accident. Even the case you wrote about
was not an accident.

J

Jen

What about women??

So... what about assults on female tourists and residents like rape? I've read these are rising rapidly.

Is this true?

I'm not talking about people who may be tempting fate by wanding the street drunk at 1:00AM. Just normal people living life.

S

Sylvia

First case....happened liked I said!!
I know the guy which was hurt with the knife!!!
They didnt leave the night culb.The swiss guy has a bar in the Pedro Clisante.He was on his way home.

G

Gunnar

Living in RD for almost two years, I'd say I'd rather cross
Ensanche la Fez (worst part of Santo Domingo), half-drunk at
2:00 am, then ask for a bus-stop in New York at noon...
Have done both with happy outcome, but the latter was more
scary!
Furthermore - anyone "writing up" criminality here is
further enpoverishing a brave, democratic nation who is
entirely dependent on tourism for survival. Remember what
happened to South Florida at the time of the tourist killings?
All newspapers and news-channels in the world competed in showing
the most bloody and distasteful pictures. Result? Dade and
Broward had to pleade for federal help-funds...
Who would help RD in such a situation? Little green men in
shiny vehicules from the sky?

A

Another Gringo in Pto.Pta.

Good comment Gunnar!

I was quiet because for me Sosua is not exemplary Dominican Republic and who stay/live there lost rights to complain. Its the same as you take Guantanamo for Cuba or Gibraltar for Spain as example.
So many times in all my 36years dominican experience I walk at nights (some times even drunk) through dark streets but never any bad case, NEVER!!!!
I allmost know the whole world, but there is no other place all around, I feel that save than -for example-in Puerto Plata. Everybody knows about the power problems at night, so many times it was that dark, but its more scary to dominicans than.......
cu/charly

J

Jim Hinsch

--I'd say I'd rather cross Ensanche la Fez (worst part of Santo Domingo), half-drunk at 2:00 am, then ask for a bus-stop in New York at noon... --

And if you believe that, you deserve whatever happens.

E

Eddy

I agree with Jim. That's a little exagerated. A friend of mine was just robbed last night in Pueto Plata. Walking from his jeep to the house of a friend.

A

Alyssa

Re: More on the crime info & What about women

I am moving to SD in 3 weeks, and one of the courses I took in preparation was a women's self defence course. I don't expect anything to happen, but I don't plan to be a victim if anything does... As a woman, you are at risk in any culture and in any country, and it is up to you to be prepared for that! And, of course, don't set yourself up to become a victim--don't go out alone and drunk, don't go to areas that you know to be dangerous, and don't act like a victim.

G

Gunnar

Re: More on the crime info & What about women

Alyssa, that's the correct way! Eddy and Jim, sure people gets
robbed here, as well as in any country. A couple of thougs tried
me in el Lingco one night in Santiago. They didn't know I was living there, and definetely didn't realize that some 20 of
my neighbours was around. I serously doubt they will try a
trick like that again...

This is irrelevant! What is relevant is where you are safer -
on 7:th ave in New York, or in Ensanche la Fez in Santo
Domingo? How many people in NY would lift a finger to assist
a neighbour in distress? THAT's RELEVANT!

This took me some 10 minutes to compose. How many murders took
place in the US during this time? How many in the RD?
Please scale it for population, income, sexual preferences
or any way you like. Then come back and say that RD is 'unsafe'!

M

Michelle Renauld

Re:what about women travelers :Safety

What about women travelling alone? I am going alone to the DR in a few weeks, a friend is meeting me at the airport and I am staying at their house, so I am not worried. But what about the safety for women in general, is it safe? More or less than Canada. I would appreciate all info.
Thanks in advance..

E

Eddy

Re:what about women travelers :Safety

Michelle, a woman will have less problems than most men. We have been living here for about 17 years now and never has my wife had any problems. (Nor I).We're in the bar business and beleive me, a woman get more respect than a man.