Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm thinking of moving to DR.

I'm thinking of moving to the DR in about a year & wish to contact some gay people who are members of the DR1 forum, to perhaps assist me with some questions.

I am an Australian male.

Thanks in advance

naturelover

i love australia why are you moving

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

We have a number of gay posters on the forum.

Gay Bashers, you're deleted, tarred and feathered! So, don't bother!

Elkangorito, feel free to ask your questions. If they're good questions, we have some posters that will give good answers.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi all & thanks for the responses.

I won't ask direct questions as of yet but I will describe things as they are for me now. In this, way, maybe you will be inspired to comment, offer suggestions or ask questions of me.
    This is going to be a 'beer powered' post so please excuse any mistakes.

Where am I now?
    I'm in Thailand...have been here for 2 years, teaching English to adults at a technical college. I don't have a TEFL or similar but I plan to get one before I leave Thailand. But recently, there have been some big upsets within the Thai government that have made it increasingly difficult for foreigners to stay here.
    Don't get me wrong, it's a great place...especially for gay people. Homophobia virtually doesn't exist. The trade-off is that Thai culture is a little overpowering at times.

What am I looking for?
    Besides everlasting love, I'm looking for a good quality of life. I'm not seeking to be rich...as a matter of fact, I'm quite poor but I prefer my life to be this way. I have no income other than that from my job. Just some peace & quiet would be nice. A place where there isn't a million & one rules to which one must adhere.

What's wrong with Australia?
    Besides turning into a little America, nothing I guess. But being little America is a big problem for me.
    The former Australian lifestyle was great...enough money to live & a bit for enjoyment, didn't have to work your arse off, low stress & everybody was willing to help their fellow man. Now it's very different.
    My former job as a Facilities Manager was supposedly a 40 hour per week job (this was what my salary was based upon) but I invariably found myself working 60 to 80 hours per week (with no extra pay), no time for lunch & a phone strapped to me 24/7. You basically work your arse off...& it's still not good enough.
    Many people in Australia feel the same way as I do but they are stuck there because they have mortgages &/or family.
    Life in Amstralia (or is it Ausmerica?) is now a work-a-holics dream!...and people will kill you for a dollar.

My qualifications.
    No degree but I'm a qualified electrician. I also was an electrical design engineer (switchboards & control gear) for about 10 years. The last 7 years, I have been a Facilities Manager.
    In the Australian Scouting movement (total 20 years), I was a rockclimbing/abseilling/caving instructor. Scouting was great...I loved it (minds out of the gutter please)

About me.
    Well, you know that I'm gay but I'm not a 'professional homosexual'...that is, I don't eat, sleep, walk & talk it. I'm not a 'flag waver' by any means but I can stand up on my 'hind legs' if I need to. Most people haven't the faintest idea that I'm gay except for the fact that I don't have lady friends hanging off me, which can cause the odd busybody to rumour-monger.
    Some time ago, I had an Argentinian boyfriend (for about 4 years) & I lived with him in Argentina . Consequently, I know a bit of Spanish albeit very poor (muy pobre). I left Argentina in 2000 due to sudden & radical government unrest. Sadly, this was also the end of a wonderful relationship but he & I are still great mates.

Ok. I think that's about all for now.

Oh, BTW, let the homophobes rant & rave all they like. I suggest that we all ignore them as opposed to banning them or deleting posts. Let the world see their narrow mindedness. Besides, it's more humiliating to be ignored by an 'inferior' being, as such.

Thanks guys. I hope I haven't bored you to death. Future posts will obviously be shorter.

Cheers for now,
    Rob. (or Roborito if you prefer).

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a need for qualified electricians in the DR. Once word gets around, you probabl could develop a clientele and live off them, regardless of where you move. Probably you could carve a niche as a bilingual electrician.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

hopefully people are not that shallow as to not offer you employment based on your preference.

good luck !!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Qualified Electrician

Dolores is correct. The DR need good electricians. You can do very well economically if you know your trade and are honest. You shall find that your lifestyle may be significantly better as an electrician in the DR, than a Professor/Teacher, as the pay is very weak on the most part.

In the DR an Electrician is anyone that can wire a lightbulb or change one out, a Master Electrician is one that can make a lightbulb work (or glow).

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

elkangorito: Sawatdee.. I just got back from a visit in Thailand. My brother-in-law lives/works up north and may be able to give you a better feeling of Thailand vs Dominican Republic. PM me if you want.

Thailand and the D.R. have somethings in common. Income/wages and cost of living are very much the same. Larger cities with many things of interest and higher levels of education but the nicer housing more expensive. Outside the cities things are more simple/basic. Water and elec. in the D.R. is less reliable. Food is A LOT BETTER in the D.R. Thailand was mostly clean, great roads, very little auto/motor noise or pollution and the D.R. is ... not. Crime in Thailand is way down compared to the D.R.... or most other places.

I know of a couple of groups that are working with children a teaching them enviornment programs while having fun. Kind of the Scouting approch.

GOOD electriceans are needed. Knowledge of inverters and generators a BIG PLUS.

Hope this helps. (I need another electrician/inverter/gen person....again.)
    Regards, Ringo. (North Coast)

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Location Location Location!

Have you narrowed down what city you want to live and work in? - I'm thinking that you want Santo Domingo or Santiago.......

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

[
    Life in Amstralia (or is it Ausmerica?) is now a work-a-holics dream!...and people will kill you for a dollar.

Cheers for now,
    Rob. (or Roborito if you prefer).[/QUOTE]

A lot of baby-boomers moved to DR in recent years , so it will be difficult for you to find a place without the same people around you that you want to get rid off, and the same "attitude".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast