Is the SSN still applicable?

Taylormoore

Sep 27, 2007
Hi,

While I was in the USA in 2002 on an H1B visa, I applied for and received a Social Security number. I stayed in the US for 4 months and moved on to India. Is the SSN still valid and can I use it for any specific requirement in the United States?
Thanks in advance

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Hi,

While I was in the USA in 2002 on an H1B visa, I applied for and received a Social Security number. I stayed in the US for 4 months and moved on to India. Is the SSN still valid and can I use it for any specific requirement in the United States?
Thanks in advance

Are you sure it was not an EIN #? This number is provided for tax purposes.

I think SS#'s are given out for permanent residents and citizens.

Feb 7, 2007
Yes you receive SSN because every legal work visa (which H1 is) or work authorization receives SSN.

Your SSN still exists, it sticks with you for the rest of your life.

Feb 7, 2007
DR1 members beware.
The link above (Social Security Number Search Tools) seems to be a phissing website for social security numbers. Do not be temted to enter any valid SS numbers in.

The domain name has been registered only a few months ago, the page does not list any contact or ownership information, and the link has been posted by the 1-st time poster. BEWARE!

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
DR1 members beware.
The link above (Social Security Number Search Tools) seems to be a phissing website for social security numbers. Do not be temted to enter any valid SS numbers in.

The domain name has been registered only a few months ago, the page does not list any contact or ownership information, and the link has been posted by the 1-st time poster. BEWARE!

Thanks for the catch!!!