4 to 6 month visit

d4dave1

Apr 16, 2006
Hello all, approx. 2 year member, first time poster.

In one of life's twists I have the opportunity to visit the DR for a 4 to 6 month period. I am deliberately not calling it a vacation as I would prefer to DO something in my time there, although work for pay is NOT one of them. In my perfect naive' world I would like to participate in a volunteer project but.....I know, I know, give the man a Kewpie Doll.

I have visited the DR at an AI in Punta Cana and, while enjoying the spectacular scenery and beaches, soon discovered the AI experience was not for us. We traveled and ate outside the resort quite a bit, made some friends, saw wonderful empty beaches, beautiful houses and what appeared to be 5 square miles of garbage, grinding poverty and happy people. Bavaro and Higeuy can only offer so much and reading the posts on the DR1 site made me aware there is so much more to the DR.

I am thinking perhaps of spending my time in Cabarete, Santiago or maybe Santo Domingo but regardless of where, I would like to experience the people and places of the DR. I speak some very basic "tourist" Spanish and hope to learn more while there. The DR1 site has provided me with endless hours of reading and learning so I understand the challenges of renting for less than a 6 month period. Must admit that the idea of arriving on a tourist visa and just paying the "surcharge" when I leave rather than obtaining a proper visa leaves me uneasy to say the least.

A bit about me, I am a very happily married man, 52 years old. Worked as a Power Engineer for almost 30 years in the Canadian oil industry, we have a cattle/horse farm as well, raised 4 children and now have 6 grandchildren. I would be travelling on my own, my wife has other commitments. While I am not a licensed Electrician I have done most of the wiring on our farm and am quite capable of wiring a house to Canadian code standards. Can do rough carpentry and know how to pour cement and set forms. Am familiar with water wells as have 4 of them on our farm. As mentioned earlier I am NOT seeking a job but would be happy to volunteer my services to any worthy cause.

My perfect choice would be to board with a family that speaks some English and could offer some guidance and advice. I am more than happy to pay rent or even assist with a project around the property. ( Although I'm not sure if that would break my "no job" rule on a technicality ?? ) Not all work, would very much like some beach time, explore time and see the sights time. We have hosted exchange students from around the world so am familiar with some of the challenges of being in a "new" country.

So, before this turns from a short story into a novel, I would request any input from the faithful DR1'ers on the site. Good, bad, indifferent, I'd like to hear what you have to say. Small note, I have read the forums and done lots of searches on topics but for brevities sake did not cover it all here.
Thanks all. Dave.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Welcome d4dave1. I'm sure the DR1 crowd will give you the information that you need.

There are many worthwhile projects that you can volunteer at. If I was in your shoes, I'll stay 3 months on the North Coast (including Samana) and then 3 months on the South Coast, including the Capital, with perhaps a short period in Santiago in the middle.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
After moving here, I traveled the entire country's coastline, and several towns/cities to the interior.
That alone could keep you busy for awhile, and then if you find a place along the way that you like, just stay there until you feel the urge to move on.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You might try Santiago. It is large enough to keep you occupied for a while, and there are places that can use some of your skills. For example you might teach animal husbandry skills at the Superior Agricultural Institute (ISA).You could volunteer to repair an orphanage or two--electricity outlets etc.
The beaches are certainly attractive, so take advantage of places from Manzanillo to Saman?, just like Rocky suggested.

However, this is a fair sized place, and most people never get to towns like San Juan de la Maguana or El?as Pi?a or Padre de las Casas. I am 100% positive that you would find volunteer work opportunities there. They could be coordinated through the bishop's office if you need structure. Father Quinn will have work for you in Padre de las Casas!!

You might even wing it. Arrive, look around and dive in. So much to do..

I wish you good luck. Oh yeah, you have a bed in Santiago if you need it.

HB