New laptops with Vista

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
As people are buying new laptops, they are pretty much forced to accept Vista as the OS, even if they don't want it, as a lot of the components have no XP drivers.
At the bottom, there is a link that is not only gut busting funny, but pretty darn accurate, about Vista.
In short, it sucks, and unless you get double the ram you would normally get, you'll be down to a crawl, and the Windows Defender program is so friggin irritating, that it might even be considered worse than having Norton anti virus on it.
There are some remedies, of course, and I don't mind sharing them with anyone who might be interested, but in the meantime, turn on your volume and go check out the clip from the link below, and enjoy.

VISTA SUCKS - Brightcove

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
Great video. Instead of Vista, I recommend Ubuntu w/ Beryl... or if you are the "adventure type", why not build a hackintosh? I'm not the biggest Microsoft fan, the company is badly managed. If you want to laugh at something, read this article on Microsoft and Facebook; Facebook Won't Help Microsoft - News & Analysis - Tech Update - GOOG - MSFT or watch this video report: http://www.thestreet.com/video/inde...ket+Strategy&cm_ven=&cm_cat=&cm_ite=#10381106.

Linux is the better of the two right now, maybe if Microsoft adapted another strategy (i.e. including open source community into the development) they would be a better company.

May 5, 2007
O cmon

Vista Home Premium works great for me. Much nicer graphic display that anything I could find (Including new top of line Macs which I considered due to what I consider superior physical construction)

Far superior wireless connection diagnostics, drivers for anything and everything I own, and that is quite a few peripherals and software

Just simply a superior system if you want to outlay the money, some people just don't want to keep up with technology and say "Why change if it works," well how many are still running DOS?

I use Win 98 SE on my lightweight C400 travel machine, does most things great but occasionally have to find a driver for a new peripheral etc (Vista does this for me)

I consider 98 SE one of the best, if not the best OS MS developed if you want to live with basics and get the best performance out of the least hardware

I love the way everyone knocks MS, do you really think they are that bad when the "own" over 80% of the PC Market?

I likely will buy an Apple next, almost did this time until they pulled that crap with he IPhone, one of the worst traitorous acts in "computer history", but Apple people will defend them, all in what you want, need and desire

Vista Home Premium an absolute memory hog, being test by guinea pigs..."Joe Public"

Windows Vista is essentially warmed-over Windows XP. If you're currently happy with Windows XP SP2, I see no compelling reason to upgrade.
Windows Vista while there are some nice features is a long ways from people ready in my opinion.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Vista is so bad that it hurts !

I would recommend any of you to switch to Linux.

Inform yourself here :

get GNU/Linux!

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu

My advice is to start right now... Don't waste your time anymore with an insecure system, don't upgrade your hardware, don't use a system that requires a huge amount of memory/cpu...

Instead of "re-learning" how to use a PC with Vista, just "re-learn" to use a PC with Linux !

Microsoft and the laptop vendors will try to push Vista down your throat whether you like it or not, but you have the power to metamorphose a slow Vista PC into a super-fast Linux PC... Just do a bit of homework, start to read the link I provided up there...

It's been years than I am on Linux, and I am really satisfied !

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
What to do, what to do?

Clem... Darn near pizzed myself, reading your post.

So here you are with a brand new laptop, and you spent a bit more than usual, to get one with a great big hard drive, lots of ram and one of those new fancy dual core processors, that you have been told is so much better than the old Pentium 4s.
So.... All should be well in paradise, except that it seems to be slower than your buddy's ole' IBM with XP and half the guts.
On top of that, almost every time you click on something, another infuriatingly irritating window pops up to ask you if you really wanted to do what you just asked the puter to do....
Now who the heck came up with that idea?
Do you really want to open "My Documents"?
Do you really want to view this page?
Do you really want to add this to your favorites?
Good grief !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What am I?
A 2 year old with a bib around my neck, slopping around in a bowl of Pablum?

The first thing to do is formulate a good plan.
1) Are you going to go to your PC guru buddy and ask him if it's possible to wipe that Vista crap out of your puter and install XP (or whatever else prime choice of OS you might have). NB: As mentioned in the OP, some newer laptops have components, for which there are no XP drivers, so it could be impossible to convert them, unless you're willing to lose certain capacities, like audio, or the ability to hook up to the net, etc.

2) Are you going to add more ram and hope for the best?

3) Are you going to figure out all the things that are slowing the puter down, and wipe them out?

4) Are you going to use it as a Frisbee for your Rottweiler puppy?

Stay tuned, and we'll be offering up some solutions.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Aw, sh*t! I think I'll stick with this little thing rather than upgrade when i hit the Lotto!!

Those ads for Apple sort of foretold the problems of VISTA, so i guess we will have to learn how to play with Linux>>>???

HB

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
You guys can count on me for help and assistance with Linux.
Now we're getting somewhere.
Complaining about a problem without offering solutions, doesn't do much good for those who have the problem.
With Squat helping out the Linux users, and myself posting solutions for Vista users, I think we're going to make a bunch of people happy/happier, or at least, less pizzed off with their new puters.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
-For the readers living in Santiago, there's the "Codigo Libre" Foundation, in front of Supermercado Nacional. That is the center of the "Linux life" in Santiago :
"Estrella Sadhala #5 • Cerros de Gurabo • Santiago • 809-724-5543
Rep?blica Dominicana"

-There's also one in Santo Domingo :
"Padre Pina 102 • Zona Universitaria • Santo Domingo • 809-476-7758
Rep?blica Dominicana"

You can visit them, the guy in charge is Antonio Perpi?an, a very bright gentleman, who speaks perfect english as well.

Here's the website : Fundaci?n C?digo Libre Dominicano

The Foundation is a good place to find assistance on switching from Windows to Linux.

Here's also an interesting article, that might apply to some DR1 readers :
5 Reasons your parents should use Linux ? foogazi.com

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I'd like to try a new operating system but seeing how I use odd engineering programs I have to use Windows XP/2000/98. However, I don't load up a lot of stuff on my desktop and laptop and I have a Pentium 4 with 2.66 in both, with 2 G in the laptop. They work good for me.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Next

Alright.
Were ready to attack the little bugger.
We're going to leave the actual Vista program alone, for now and go attack the number one scourge of the internet/puters... Norton anti virus.
Now listen up, because this part is important.
Norton WILL sabotage your puter if you do an ordinary regular removal from the control panel, so let's not go there.
Here's the link to a Norton removal tool, and this baby will clean that sucker out, like it was never there.

|MG| Free Download - Norton Removal Tool (SymNRT) 2008.0.1.19

You can download the tool to your desktop, then when it's finished downloading, run it, then a reboot will be required.

After the reboot. of course, you'll be needing an anti virus program, so we're going to go with the most proven and popular, AVG (Anti Virus Guard)

|MG| Free Download - AVG Free Edition 7.5 Build 488a1138

The program will require 3 updates, after installing it.
One other little detail will be to go to the scheduler, select the top one, which is the scan scheduler, and change the default setting of 8 AM to 3 AM, or any other time of the day that is non obtrusive to you.

Now you'll be all done, and already your puter will be 20% to 30% faster, and no more of those stupid Norton pop up windows.
Do not be surprised if AVG finds a virus or two while installing, it's not surprising, as Norton is as useless as teats on a bull.

Next job, is going to be to turn off that POS Windows Defender and get control back of your own puter, so stay tuned.