Best Beach Closest To Santo Domingo?

Luis de Miami

Jan 4, 2007
I Will Be There Next Week And Want A New Experience With A Beach That Is Close To Santo Domingo But Is Not Boca Chica Or Juan Dolio...please Help Me Thanks

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Maybe to the West, you can find something decent.
Perhaps there's a beach in San Cristobal.
If not, there are some nice ones further on down the coast.

CJnNJ

Aug 7, 2005
Can someone give me some ideas of best romantic places to take girlfriend in santo domingo? I've done tres ojos, conde, zona colonial...need new romantic spots...thanks

Try Guayacanes. It's about a 40 minute drive from SD. You can either rent a table/umbrella set up from one of the guys on the beach (make sure you get the price before they set you up) or there is a great beach front restaurant that will let you sit out on their beach chairs if you buy something. That works out great because when you get hungry, they will either serve you on the beach or there are plenty of umbrella covered tables to be served at.

Boca Chica- closer to SD and on the way to Guayacanes- would be one of the least romantic spots I could think of. Fun- I like the beach vendors selling their wares and the overall craziness of it all- but I wouldn't recommend it.

Here are some photos of the beach at Guayacanes.

Best to rent a car and take your time getting there. Let me know if you want more info.

CJ

Last edited:

shinysam

Apr 1, 2007
You have also Playa caribe between Boca chica and Guayacanes.... nice beach with big waves.
About Juan Dolio, in my point of view, it is the best beach near the capital... and you can find part of the beach forgotten by the resorts.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
great pics! :)could you provide directions from say Boca Chica or Andres please?

ttt600x338.jpg

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
playa caribe is right before you get to juan dolio (via guagua)

i LOVE it there. No vendors...tiny beach...huge waves...great boogie boarding

If you are taking a guagua and speak some spanish....there is a big ole sighn saying "playa Carribe" i THINK after guayacannes. If you have made it to juan dolio..then you have gone too far...turn back..its about 5 mins in the other direction

looks nice no?

http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/1053/playacaribe1kb7.jpg

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
playa caribe is right before you get to juan dolio (via guagua)

i LOVE it there. No vendors...tiny beach...huge waves...great boogie boarding

If you are taking a guagua and speak some spanish....there is a big ole sighn saying "playa Carribe" i THINK after guayacannes. If you have made it to juan dolio..then you have gone too far...turn back..its about 5 mins in the other direction

looks nice no?

http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/1053/playacaribe1kb7.jpg

Great pic...so enticing...for a brief moment I escaped reality.

Ant

Feb 1, 2002
Best Beach Near Santo Domingo

Playa Caribe is before you reach Guayacanes and Juan Dolio. It is about 10-15 minutes driving past Boca Chica.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
To the West of the capital there are Najayo and Palenque beaches, both close to San Cristobal, so pretty close to Santo Domingo. They're not the the nice typical white or gold sand touristy beaches, more greyish. But a very good local experience, you won't find any foreign tourists there. Lots of locals from San Cristobal over the weekend, loud bachata, fresh seafood, that sort of thing.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
To the West of the capital there are Najayo and Palenque beaches, both close to San Cristobal, so pretty close to Santo Domingo. They're not the the nice typical white or gold sand touristy beaches, more greyish. But a very good local experience, you won't find any foreign tourists there. Lots of locals from San Cristobal over the weekend, loud bachata, fresh seafood, that sort of thing.
Got any pix, by any chance?

A

apostropheman

thanks Ant!

i'm going to try and visit Guayacanes and perhaps Playa Caribe in the very near future :)
Playa Caribe is before you reach Guayacanes and Juan Dolio. It is about 10-15 minutes driving past Boca Chica.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Palenque

A few years ago I visited Playa Palenque in the south. It was a black sanded beach as I understand most are in this region. I retreated to the mens room to slip into my thong. I then went swimming. When I returned from the water, a native man approached me and told me to turn around(in spanish) which I did. He saw my thonged ass and told me that was a problem here and he called the police. Well the police arrested him, but I am wondering why he felt this way. I was a bit unnerved at the thought of going to a dominican jail for indecent exposure.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
A few years ago I visited Playa Palenque in the south. It was a black sanded beach as I understand most are in this region. I retreated to the mens room to slip into my thong. I then went swimming. When I returned from the water, a native man approached me and told me to turn around(in spanish) which I did. He saw my thonged ass and told me that was a problem here and he called the police. Well the police arrested him, but I am wondering why he felt this way. I was a bit unnerved at the thought of going to a dominican jail for indecent exposure.
Well, I have 2 questions.
Why did the cop arrest him, and are you female?

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
Well, I have 2 questions.
Why did the cop arrest him, and are you female?

I wouldn't think so...he said "slipped in to the men's room to put on my thong"
On the other hand maybe it is a female and that's why they had the cops called on them ;)

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I wouldn't think so...he said "slipped in to the men's room to put on my thong"
On the other hand maybe it is a female and that's why they had the cops called on them ;)

Or it could be a man wearing a thong, another good reason to call the cops.