The Political Culture of Democracy in the DR

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I found this a very interesting read - don't be put off by the 260 pages because much of it is 'pictures' :) (tables, graphs etc). It covers conceptions of democracy, tolerance & support for the political system, corruption, criminality, local government, elections and political parties, social capital, gender and migration etc.
http://sitemason.vanderbilt.edu/files/lptnzy/English%20DR%202006%20format%20v2%20with%20Exec%20Sum%20v3.pdf
Also some recent political history and an evaluation of the research methodology used.

One idea which the authors put forward & I found particularly interesting: that for the approx 30 years that Dominican democracy has existed and remained stable this has been because the move to democracy came from an authoritarian civil government and not a military dictatorship (& not, like some of us gringos like to suggest because the local populace is either too laid back or too lazy to change it :) ). In other words the causes are structural.

JohnYu

Aug 12, 2007
Thanks Lambada, it is very informative. It helps one to better understand the culture and explains some of the difficulties we may have in establishing relationships.

chrism

Dec 21, 2005
This study is a must read

It would be good to know how many have read this document, in the sense will the data influence your decision to stay in RD?
Has the current government done enough to get re-elected?
Is bribery and theft too endemic?

The study says 36% of the '20 year somethings' want to move out, yet hotel building/development is at a high level. Does this mean there is 'grunt work' but no opportunity for 'intellectual', economic work?

For me the lack of dependable electricity is preventing me from moving back.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Well, I've read it :) but it might be considered too dry or heavy for some of the expats here. I liked the fact that it provided evidence from the study & even explained how the study might be skewed given the timing of when it was undertaken.

It doesn't effect my decision to stay in DR, no. In many ways we see on a daily basis what the study points to: lots of investment into DR, the poorer sections not benefitting, the gap between rich and poor growing ever wider. Speaking personally as an expat I think if you are committed to this country (it has been my home for 15 years) you want to stay & do something about this situation.

Can I ask why the lack of dependable electricity is preventing you moving back? Is it because you would intend setting up a business here? As far as living here, the lack of electricity is overcomeable (plantas, inverters etc) but for businesses to be competitive the price of electricity is a problem.

But I think really what the country needs is for its educated, articulate, non-corruptible sons & daughters to move back and loudly oppose the political corruption. If enough did I'm sure change would be accelerated. If enough did and stood for political office and espoused the cause of decent education for all then the populace, one day, would throw off the shackles of 'learned helplessness' inherited from the Trujillo era and demand to be treated as human beings. Hoping I can see this in my lifetime (probably another 20 years approx left)........

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
Citizens are unaware they they will have to financially pay those debt, in their lack of action, Votes are sold like calling card outside the polling places. The comgressional election were purchase very cheaply, from five to two thounsand pesos per person. I can not velieve that there is a real DEMOcracy, The police were inside but mast vote were false. The next elections I want to see the UN watching and keeping those that purchase votes away from polling stations.